Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Armchair Blue Skying the Whole Resort (A work in progress)

I've been kicking some ideas around, they're crazy out-there "Disney needs $Ten Billion$ and complete control of The City Council" to do ideas. They're also not fully thought through in terms of whether things would truly fit into the space available or not, so fair warning.

It's a work in progress and I thought I'd throw it out on the porch to see if the cat will lick it up...
    (I like mixed metaphors )

I call this one my
    "King Solomon Solution"

Rough layout map:

One of the major features here are opening the Third Gate across the way, but in a multi story building like at WDW, with utilidoor technology. The lower level will be themed street level retail tenancies, accessible from the street.

The other major feature is the division of DCA into two Pocket Parks and the addition of a mini water park. An extension of DTD would serve as the division with a new mirror plaza to the current Entry Plaza, the Disney Plaza will be renamed "Walt Plaza" and the mirror plaza "Roy Plaza". Walt Plaza will serve as the entry gate for Disneyland alone while Roy Plaza will serve as the hub gate for the two pocket parks and the third gate.

The two "newly created" parks will have a tighter theme than the existing DCA, one will bear a similar moniker "Disney's California" the other will be "Disney Studios". Paradise Pier Hotel will be refurbished and extended to include a mini water park.

The expanded Downtown Disney
    will begin with a hub that services both Paradise Pier Hotel, Disney Hotel and the associated Paradise Pier Water Park. It continues in the current location past Walt Plaza (Disneyland's entry), but then takes a right down between the pocket parks, then a left out toward Harbor. At the Harbor end a large pedestrian entry will open to hopefully where Garden Walk's extension will be built (trying to be a good neighbor).

Downtown Disney will have many more retail opportunities than it currently has. Its intent is to offer a compliment to Garden Walk, with heavy themeing and careful choices of tenants.

Pedestrian bridges will allow people to cross over to Gardenwalk or to continue on foot (down the "Enjoyable Walk") to the newly established Pumba Parking Structure on Disney Way. This will also contain CM parking in its bowels with a CM shuttle running down Harbor and using Disney's internal service ring road now partially running under DTD. Stopping at backstage for TDA, Harbor Pointe, Disney Studios, Disney's Calfornia and the Third Gate.

This of course will require a lot of reorganisation of DCA's internals:

Disney's California
    Will be accessed from its south-eastern corner. The current "Pacific Wharf" area will be established as the entry way to the park. It will be themed as if guests have stepped off an ocean liner and into California (I'm thinking San Francisco).

Bridges across the corner of the lake will be widened to allow better access to Golden State and Paradise Pier areas of the current park. (Do not fear: Ariel's Grotto and the Bar will survive my plans)

The new Park's boundary will run down the eastern side of Grizzly River Run. This is a little tight in terms of space, but I'm sure a hyper space generator can be employed here . This boundary path will run around Bear Mountain and up to the north-eastern corner of the park. At this point there is access to a monorail station, which also serves as a overpass for ticketed guests to slip into Disney Studios, or to catch a monorail to Tomorrowland or the Hotel end of DTD.

Following the path west we find the secret squirrel entrance to the GCH as per current arrangements.

The rest for the park will be heavily re themed to fit the California scheme, but aimed to reflect the California that Walt came to know. Or at least a rose tinted glasses version therein. 1920-40s? I'm unsure exactly, that's something still to be settled.

Pacific Wharf entry area as mentioned will be themed as an actual port of entry wharf and also serve mini "Main Street USA" purposes; namely shops, eateries, and so on. Paradise Pier will be renamed Pacific Pier or similar (does that sound familiar? ) to differentiate it from the water park outside. It will retain its seaside side show theme but will HEAVY place-making.

Golden State
    will include the GRR and the area around Soaring will be themed (properly) as Open Skies Airport. This includes the monorail link mentioned above themed as an entry point as per Pacific Wharf except as an airport instead. Guests will be invited to take a "flight" on the monorail to far flung places.

{Sorry I haven't made a layout map for this park as yet}

Disney Studios
    On the other side of Roy Plaza, if you can fight your way through the Churro OVCs, will be the entry to Disney Studios. Similarly the entry reconfiguration will require the removal of Bug's Land (sorry kids). This will be replaced by an open square, It will resemble an town square, but it's a studio lot town square. The Western face of the Hollywood Tower Hotel will greet guests center-right, an as yet un-named E ticket ride to the extreme right. In the center of our imaginary view we can see a road junction leading down to the Hyperion theatre. The animation building, Turtle Talk and other attractions and another road leading off to the backlots
    to the left of that. On our extreme left several more buildings complete the picture.

This park also features a mini entry at the north-western corner to the monorail and across to Disney's California.

All of this area will be place-made to fit the studio theme, it will feel like a busy and cluttered studio lot.

Closer look at Disney Studio's layout

The Fabled Third Gate

Here's the second of the big blue sky deals in this masturbation masterpiece; as mentioned above the Third Gate will be built as a multi story building. The ground level will house the hidden parts of rides, the service "tunnels", general backstage as well as street level retail tenancies. Those tenancies will have direct access to the street and will not have any actual connection with the park inside.

The other main feature is that part of the park will be built across Harbor and Katella. So the entry to the park will sit directly opposite the other three parks on Roy Plaza, but once inside a gently ramped themed area will take guests up to the park's level.

I'm still Imagineering the actual content of the Third Gate, you'll just have to wait for that...

Comments so far? Remember we're Blue Skying at this point.
    Last edited by monotonehell; 07-13-2007 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Stuff and things
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Armchair Blue Skying the Whole Resort (A work in progress)

Quite a presentation--the Queen of Sheba would be impressed, but historically she wasn't much of a 'complainer', and, in addition, had no internet access to change her into one.

I really like the 'Walt' and 'Roy' Plaza entrance ideas, as well as the splitting of DCA in half (very Solomon-like). I would just as soon get rid of Water Parks altogether (a child just died yesterday at Boomerang Bay up here in Northern California; but I realize people do love' em [waterparks, not drowned children]).

The improved CM parking considerations are also a great addition. A 'Disney Studios', to me, would be a fantastic way to showcase the classic Disney panthenon of movies that have been ignored over the years-- the lack of 'Walt Disney' on the Disney Channel is shocking to me.

New stops for the monorail, then? I didn't see anything mentioned, please correct me if I'm mistaken. Possibly room for another inter-Park transportation method? So far a great start--I'm going to re-read it, as I am sure I am forgetting something. Good stuff.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Quite a presentation--the Queen of Sheba would be impressed, but historically she wasn't much of a 'complainer', and, in addition, had no internet access to change her into one.
    nerf nerf nerf

I really like the 'Walt' and 'Roy' Plaza entrance ideas, as well as the splitting of DCA in half (very Solomon-like). I would just as soon get rid of Water Parks altogether (a child just died yesterday at Boomerang Bay up here in Northern California; but I realize people do love' em [waterparks, not drowned children]).
    Personally I don't like water parks, but several people have expressed an interest. So I chucked em out over there Don't accuse me of not listening to my public *waves hand in royal manner*

The improved CM parking considerations are also a great addition. A 'Disney Studios', to me, would be a fantastic way to showcase the classic Disney panthenon of movies that have been ignored over the years-- the lack of 'Walt Disney' on the Disney Channel is shocking to me.
    Good point, however I fear the Pixar synergy people would Pixar this Pocket Park to a Proportion not Permitting Production of Past Popular Properties... umm yeah. But since this is my vision, I see a good balance between the inclusion of classic Disney Studios material as well as the new. And also place-making based on original concepts (gasp).

New stops for the monorail, then? I didn't see anything mentioned, please correct me if I'm mistaken. Possibly room for another inter-Park transportation method? So far a great start--I'm going to re-read it, as I am sure I am forgetting something. Good stuff.
    I've been researching other Intra-resort transportation methods and nothing can beat the Tramzillas for pure people moving capacity it seems. I had visions of modern people movers runing down Harbor, Katella, and inside the resort connecting the carparks, hotels and Parks. I've still reserved my final verdict on such a system, there's room in my plans for it.

The only new monorail station is the combined DTD/Disney Studios/Disney's California elevated station over the DTD corridor between the pocket parks. It gives guests access to all three locations (provided they have passes/tickets).
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

In passing: if accuracy is a benchmark for the 'new' DCA , your 'San Francisco' area is gonna need a ton of parking meters, rats (bolder the better), and a lot of homeless. And a 'Banana Republic' or 'Urban Outfitters'.

Maybe from now on, all threads should start with "Haunted..."; to ensure their popularity? Great ideas and thread, regardless of how many end up posting to it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    In passing: if accuracy is a benchmark for the 'new' DCA , your 'San Francisco' area is gonna need a ton of parking meters, rats (bolder the better), and a lot of homeless.
    Only south of Market... Remember it's themed to sometime mid 1900s yet to be specified, not contemporary Cali.

Maybe from now on, all threads should start with "Haunted..."; to ensure their popularity? Great ideas and thread, regardless of how many end up posting to it.
    I may, or may not, have seen a ghost while writing this post... also I wish to complain about something. Actually I'm guessing this post is just too AWESOME for people to comment on

I'm not finished yet. When I get ideas a lot more concrete in my mind, I'll start illustrating things. (more pictures less text good?)

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I love it....I also noticed that this config. would make the Sheraton Park Hotel(one of my favorite non-disney hotels) border the 3rd Gate Park....Disney could buy this Hotel(ala Pan Pacific/Paridise Pier), add a few magical touches, and viola, another Disney Resort Hotel--with a private entrance to New Park

The Utilidors idea is genius......I always wondered why those cheapskates who built DCA didn't use them.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Banned User

I admire the effort.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    I admire the effort.
    That's a horrible thing to say

• I'm Flying High

It would be a really cool thing to see happen. I could imagine the Great Movie Ride in the Studios.
    The daydream princess

• Former Loiterer

Oooo...cosmic...I have to come back and visit this thread when I have more time to digest, but it looks very well-thought out and enjoyable so far!

Since you are Solomon-esque, am I required to ?
    All I needed to know in life, I learned at MiceChat.
    And kindergarten.

problem with the splitting DCA idea is you leave yourself little room for expansion

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Brisal73 View Post
    problem with the splitting DCA idea is you leave yourself little room for expansion
    They would be "pocket parks". You wouldn't really expand them but instead when one attracion starts to get stale you switch it out for another.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hebessica View Post
    Oooo...cosmic...I have to come back and visit this thread when I have more time to digest, but it looks very well-thought out and enjoyable so far!
    Not that well thought out, it's a pretty scatterbrained set of ideas all stuck together at the moment. But like I said, it's a work in progress.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    That's a horrible thing to say
    Well, I can't say I agree with all of your ideas but you put a lot of work into it.

1188 miles from Disneyland. (Seattle, Washington)

Great ideas! The only thing I didn't understand was a Western town in the Disneyland Studios?

myspace.com/xrybox

Next trip to Disneyland - August 17, 2007

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast