Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln

Hi, I just read an article from Mouse Planet about Mr. Lincoln
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050629th.htm

I know that Disney says the show will be returning after the 50th stuff, but I would like to see a new show, one that is more dignified. Since Matt Quimet is from old school Disney, he might be more willing to do it right. Is there, or has there been any type of letter campaign for this attraction?

Thanks, Randy

• Videographer

Just curious, what is so undignified about the current show?

RU

Be sure to visit my site!

I thought current show was pretty good. The whole effect of being there was a nice touch. I didn't really think that it lacked any dignity. Yeah it might be a little hokey, but all in all it's pretty good. It could be alot worse.

I agree, the current show is good, but my Mom pointed out that it was more dramatic when he sat down thru the whole speech and then stood up at the end...kinda like a grand finally???

For some reason it just made it seem soo real...
    A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes....

• Minion

Do you mean more dignified in that Lincoln needs, and deserves, a special effects upgrade? I would think that technology-wise there would have been some improvements over the years to help smooth out some rough edges of the mechanical movements and the sound quality.

Though I love the Lincoln tribute show, I really will miss the Walt Disney tribute show with the very entertaining Steve Martin movie if they go back to pre-50th.

• Looking for Love

You know.....as many times as I have been to Disneyland, you'd think I would have seen old abe at least once by now....but when i enter those gates....I hear that splash mountain calling my name and I forget who lincoln is all togeather.
    It's quite sad really. ...... I need to see the lincoln show next time I go!

• Space Scout

Quote Originally Posted by Derekuda
    You know.....as many times as I have been to Disneyland, you'd think I would have seen old abe at least once by now....but when i enter those gates....I hear that splash mountain calling my name and I forget who lincoln is all togeather.
    It's quite sad really. ...... I need to see the lincoln show next time I go!
    You really should experience Lincoln if/when he comes back. It's not something you'll want to do a lot, but the freakiness of those headphones is well worth the trip. I can barely handle keeping them on during the haircut scene. Freaks me out.
    Help test MouseMosaic! PM me suggestions.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by RU42
    Just curious, what is so undignified about the current show?

RU
    Well, the whole Lincoln / U.S. Grant lapdance thing may be historically accurate, but it's still tacky.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Hooterville, USA

I think they can have Lincoln in the theater, and the 50th in the waiting room. I'm sure they could do both.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

The problem that I have with Lincoln now, is how it stoops to "cheap 3D [audio] tricks". The haircut, fly, and coffee is/are totally pointless. "You need a haircut!". Then there's the fact of Lincoln whispering sweet nothings into your ear. "You muuuuuusssstttt live." This is NOT "Great Moments With Mr. Ed".
    -Monorail Man

• The one, the only...

I have to say first that I am a fan of history so I have always loved Mr. Lincoln and would not mind bringing back the old, original show.

Now that I have said that, I am also one who believes in progress. I would prefer a new show be added or replace Lincoln that was:

1) Technologically more advanced.
    2) Was still historical in some way.
    3) Was funnier and more entertaining.
    4) I would not mind if there were two shows running concurrently. Just put in a turn table. Have one side be Mr. Lincoln and the other a new presentation. Alternate the shows on the half hours.

I would like to see great moments with Mark Twain or Teddy Roosevelt. I think it would be more interesting and perhaps more light hearted.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger Fan
    Hi, I just read an article from Mouse Planet about Mr. Lincoln
    http://www.mouseplanet.com/more/mm050629th.htm

I know that Disney says the show will be returning after the 50th stuff, but I would like to see a new show, one that is more dignified. Since Matt Quimet is from old school Disney, he might be more willing to do it right. Is there, or has there been any type of letter campaign for this attraction?

Thanks, Randy
    I think the reason that the attraction was there in the first place (upgrades or not) is because Mr. Disney believed that President Lincoln was a very respected and dignified person and great American, as was Mr. Disney. If you don't feel the same, (assuming you are an American) perhaps EuroDisney is more your style.

I hear it's being replaced with "Great Moments with George W. Bush", but that its really, really short due to lack of content.

Re-Lincoln

The story is good up to a point, it does show the pain and suffering that Lincoln must have been going thru trying to keep this country together. The whole haircut thing is what I find out of place, with the fly, whispering in the ear. I think it might have been better if pvt. Cunningham had walked into a bar and maybe the father of a fallen soldier were to give him advice. Maybe some other soldiers may have just returned from the front lines. listening to a guy dropping photo plates takes away from the troubles this country was having at that time.

Something else I would like to see would be something along the lines of having several presidents giving parts of thier famous speaches, Lincoln giving the Gettysburg address, Rosevelt's Dec 7th speach to Congress, Kennedy's "What you can do for your country", Reagan's "Challenger crew touch the face of god" speach, ect.

This country has had many good presidents with good times and bad. I just don't think having people in the audience laugh because you are getting a hair cut is very dignified.

Randy

•   
    • Minion

I liked the old show, I thought Lincoln's monologue was better written and better performed than the newer version...

The new show was a bit flashy and did the sound effects to show you how clever Disney Sound technitions could be... It didn't really help to place me there, and it didn't really inspire me... And because the script was written in a post cold war era and pre 9/11 world... It just doesn't reach out...

The old script I think would play better, because it speaks about fear being more powerfull than the dangers of the world we live in today... and has calls us to be optimistic toward the future...

I think it is something we all need today... That kind of optimism... and it is certainly missing from Disneyland the last ten years or so... There is nothing inspiring about the new Lincoln show...
    Check out my other blog:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast