Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: July 17, 2007

• "Roast Duck"

Re: July 17, 2007

If Walt intended it to be the 18th---by golly he would have had july 18th put on the dedication plaque and saved his breath for the 18th...but no...he spoke those beautiful words on July 17th for the first time for a reason...

LONG LIVE THE 17th of JULY!!!!
    Went to a party the other night
    All the ladies were treating me right
    Moving my feet to the disco beat
    How in the world could I keep my seat
    All of a sudden I began to change
    I was on the dance floor acting strange
    Flapping my arms I began to cluck
    Look at me..I'm the disco duck

"Do the Disco Duck!!!"

• Mommy of 2 Miracles!

I'll settle it! You can all wait until the 19th and celebrate my birthday! heh heh heh
    "To ALL who come to this happy place, Welcome" Walt Disney

All means ALL

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Sorry, but I don't care if folks want to CHANGE history, it is clear that the park opened to the public on the 18th.

Heck, why did the special tickets for the 17th say "International Media Preview"??

When is the official DCA opening day, the first preview in January, or the first day it opened to the general public on February 8th, 2001?

A Preview is not an official opening.
    And don't forget the famous "First Disneyland Guests" photo that was taken on July 18th:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Analyst
    can the people not just suck it up and face that the real opening day is July 18th??
    Right...and all of which I think is another of those little things that make Disneyland so unique!

Darkbeer is largely correct. And this conflict and confusion in dates was well known and actually lead to Walt's brother Roy dictating that all future "Opening Dates" be based on the first day in which a park was open for normal business to the general public.

Magic Kingdom had Press Previews prior to October 1, 1971 and almost every other park as well has had "Preview" nights with ribbon cuttings and all! But they never use those as the official dates. Disneyland was a bit of an anomaly in that regards...but was one mistake the company seemed set on not repeating!

For example, Disney-MGM Studios mega Gala Black-Tie opening with all the celebs and television crews filming the "Grand Opening Special" and even an official declaration of the Park being "Open"...all took place on the Preview night of April 29, 1989. But the "official" opening date where they picked the first family and was the first regular operating day (with another much smaller Opening ceremony)...was on May 1, 1989! And that's the date they use on all the materials today: May 1.

You can pretty much repeat that for all the other Disney theme park openings.

Back in the in the late 60's when I first heard about it...the company line about the discrepancy between the two dates was that the "17th was Disneyland's Dedication, and the 18th was the day it officially opened."

Many a trivia contest answer to "What date did Disneyland first open to the public?"...has had to go to a "judge" for a ruling. Often with different results!

But based on the "rules" of every Disney Park that's opened since Disneyland, and applying those "rules" to Disneyland retroactively...then Disneyland's Opening Date would without question be July 18, 1955, and not the Press Preview & Dedication day of July 17th.

• Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    Walt did it twice.

Once for TV on Sunday.

Then the "for real" on Monday morning, shortly after 10 AM, when the gates opened to the public.

In fact, most of the photos of the Dedication are from the Monday event, as they were trying to keep the area clear for TV on Sunday.
    Sorry for the confussion. You were writing of what day the anniversary of DCA would be celebrated, whether it would be when the previews started or when it opened to the public and I was wondering if they had a dedication ceremony before the public opening. Just curious.

• Minion

They will be releasing a 52nd Annv watch on Tues. That is the only "special" thing I know of.

• Fireworks Finatic!

Again beating a dead horse... Everyone should flood Disneyland with emails demanding they change the "official" Anniversary day, otherwise bringing this up every year is really pointless. All it does is get people to argue about it every year, which obviously some people enjoy doing.

• Animatronic

The 17th is what my 25th birthday pin says, it's the date of that big special and the dedication. It's the first date all the rides were manned and mostly worked. It's the date I can watch on the opening day DVD. The 17th is good enough for me.

It's still a nice bit of trivia to note that the 17th was not officially open to the public.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Maybe a belated Bastille Day Celebration? Happy Bastille Day, everyone!!

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    Maybe a belated Bastille Day Celebration? Happy Bastille Day, everyone!!
    Thank You... for adding a sense of history to a rather dull debate on a DAY!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Who's your DaddyB?

They had a pretty good celebration on the 48th and even the 49th! I was there. The 48th was the last Cynthia Harrisssss Disneyland anniversary. She made the crowd sing "Happy Birthday" to Disneyland... that was a weird moment.

I wonder if they ever paid royalties for that?
    ---------------------------------------------

a walk around the park... Star Tours, Nemo, Fantasyland, Frontierland, DCA... and more!

• See you there!

All this discussion about whether the anniversary of the opening of Disneyland should be celebrated on July 17 (what some call the preview day) or July 18 (the first day regular ticket were sold) kind of reminds me of what happened in 1999.

Back then there were three groups (yes three) discussing when was going to be the PROPER year to celebrate the new millennium. Some folks said that it should be celebrated in 2000, since that is when the calendar turns from 1999 to 2000 (all digits change). Some folks thought it should be celebrated in 2001, since the first year was year 1 and the 100th year was well, 100 AD (not 99) and the beginning of a new century was in 101, (not 100). I said three groups, well, the third group said that since some pope (I forgot his name) back in 500 or 600 or there about adjusted the calendar by 5 years, so neither 2000 nor 2001 was correct.

Don’t even get me started on birthdays for inanimate objects (Disneyland is an inanimate object and was not born). We should be celebrating the anniversary of Disneyland’s opening, not IT’s (deliberate IT) birthday.

So back in 1999, it really didn’t make much sense to be arguing which year to celebrate the new millennium, some folks just celebrated twice (2000 and 2001).

Now the discussion has come to which day to celebrate the anniversary of the opening of Disneyland. It seems to me that the last several times I’ve been to Disneyland on July 17, that was the date that Disney chose to celebrate the anniversary, so I think that maybe July 17 is the most appropriate day.

But, you could always do like many people did in 2000 and 2001… Celebrate both times! July 17 and July 18 (would result in more money spent at Disneyland in many cases).

Just MHO, YMMV

CU@DL

Andy

P.S. In case anyone takes offense at this post. Get a grip, it is all in fun, tongue in cheek. No attack on anyone!
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• I love my family!

All that really matters is that the park does all it's stuff on the 17.

So what ever day you want to celebrate is up to you but, if you want to be at the park for any kind official happenings be there on the 17.

• done

Quote Originally Posted by CUatDL View Post
    Now the discussion has come to which day to celebrate the anniversary of the opening of Disneyland.
    It's not a discussion that evolves naturally - it's just an agenda point for a particular person who forces the topic on people every single year.

• See you there!

Quote Originally Posted by cstephens View Post
    It's not a discussion that evolves naturally - it's just an agenda point for a particular person who forces the topic on people every single year.
    Oh!

CU@DL

Andy
    -
    What is, is... What is not, is not.

Boom!

I don't ask for much... Just a few little things!

Extra effort yields extraordinary results!

• Banned User

At the moment there is nothing "official" planned for Tuesday. I'm under the impression some pins have been ordered for CMs, not guests. But on a side note, did that hot air balloon show up without previous announcement last year? Or am I remembering the wrong year?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast