View Poll Results: Should the Three Disney owned Hotels provide Tram/Shuttle service?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, from the Lion King Tram area to the Valet area of the Hotels

12 70.59%
  • No, all Hotel Guests should walk though Downtown Disney

5 29.41%

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

How come Disney doesn't offer Tram service to its hotels?

Lets go back into History...

Disneyland Hotel was built in the 50's

A second tram route (the first servicing the parking lot) goes from the Disneyland Main Entrance to the Hotel Main Entrance.

The Disneyland Monorail was built

An extension of the Monorail was added that takes it to the Disneyland Hotel.

Construction of Downtown Disney starts, which requires the Monorail to shut down for part of the project, and that they have to change the tram service.

A new tram starts for the newly built Lion King Tram area to the back of the Paradise Pier Hotel (very close to the DLH).

Construction of DtD/DCA is finished, and a Double Decker Bus route was added from the Paradise Pier Hotel to the Parking Structure (and the Lion King Tram still services the hotels). (Nice full circle loop service).

September 11th happens.

Shortly thereafter, the Double Decker Bus service is eliminated due to safety concerns, even though someone could park just as close to the DLH as the tram route ran... (Editorial comment).

Then in 2002 or 2003, the Lion King Tram route is shorten and stops servicing the Hotels and the Simba Lot (Only going to the Timon Lot).

And that is where it remains, the Paradise Pier Hotel is the same basic distance as the Candy Cane Inn and the Howard Johnson's (about a 6/10th of a mile). The CCI offers a free shuttle every 30 minutes, and the HoJo's is part of the ART system that runs every 20 minutes.

ART, which is run under contract with the city of Anaheim and Disney made arrangements that the Disney owned hotels would NOT be part of the ART shuttle service.

Downtown Disney shops and restaurants do not want a shuttle service, as they want the Disney hotel guests to be forced to walk thru their area....

Now, if I had my way...

Add a new ART route, one that starts at the Lion King Tram area and then goes south on Harbor, and makes a right on Katella to Disneyland Drive. Make a right at the corner (Screamin) and then goes to the Grand California Hotel entrance. Back to Disneyland Drive, and a left onto Magic Way to the Disneyland Hotel. Another stop to load/unload passengers, then back to Disneyland Drive. Head south with a stop at the Paradise Pier Hotel. After the PPH, take Katella and Harbor back to the Lion King Tram area.

Why doesn't Disney do this???

Good question.

A few reasons IMHO...

One, COST!

Also, the Downtown Disney issue.

And do you offer it to just hotel guests, or do you also offer it to those that want to eat/drink at the hotel restaurants. (Also a DtD issue).

Another issue is that the Tram would run on city streets, which would require a Bus Driver (that need a special license) and a street legal vehicle (similar to the CM shuttles), and not a Tram (open rows) and a driver that does not a need a Class B license. Plus the vehicle would have to pay fees to the State (aka license plate), unlike the current trams which remain on private property.

So what can Disney do.....

I think building a tunnel under Disneyland Drive is the best solution, This way, they can return the Lion King Tram service to the Paradise Pier Hotel and still use the basic Tram (instead of a street legal bus). Hopefully this will happen, as there are rumored plans to convert the current Timon Lot into an extension of DCA and/or a new Hotel. The underground tunnel could take cars (coming from San Diego and getting off on Disney Way, no real other option) plus the Lion King Trams to a new Parking structure that is built on the old Simba Lot next to the PPH. The Tram would service the Structure and the hotels.

And that is a nice long term solution.

But for today, I would add an ART route as described above that services the three Disney owned hotels. (and I would make the ART part of the Hotel Resort fee, even though Disney wouldn't like it, as it would add to its costs). Those folks wanting to dine at the hotels would have to pay the ART fee.

Alas, Disney is too cheap, even after charging from $200 to $500 for one night at its hotels.
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• For old time sake

Re: How come Disney doesn't offer Tram service to its hotels?

Dunno, it's not really THAT far of a walk.
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

• A Pirate's life for me!

Thanks for taking the time to think things through. Your statements of fact are accurate.

As far as the FART system goes, I wouldn't care if it shut down and was replaced with a different service. My experience with them has shown me that their drivers are rude, wreckless and non-caring about their (paying) customer's. Not to mention their lack of ability to speak English in a clear manner. I'm sure these attributes do not represent ALL of their drivers, but the few that we have had the dis-pleasure of meeting sure fit the bill...

As a DLH regular, I sure wouldn't feel that by adding the FART system for their guests (especially at a cost) would be a benefit.

We probably stay at the PPH about 25% of the time, as compared with our stays at the DLH. In fact, we're staying there this October. And those stays include many dates prior to and during the construction of DCA/DTD. We occassionally used the Tram when it was still operating behind the PPH.

When we do stay at the PPH, we walk to the DTD Monorail Station and enter the Park that way. No big deal.

One thing that goes along with DL is walking. Fact of life.

We don't mind the short walk to the Monorail Station, and evidently neither do other folks, as evidenced by the lack of empty rooms at the PPH.

Until they see a steep drop in room occupancy (yeah, right), and that loss of business is determined to be due to the lack of a shuttle, nothing will change.

Years ago, when we used to stay at the Marriott, they had their own trolley car shuttle. It was free for their guests. Even though we had that option, quite often, we chose to walk back to the Hotel.

So maybe we're used to walking, but we don't see the PPH's lack of a Tram as a negative. No biggie for us.

Oh, and BTW, I forgot to mention that we have four kids and my wife has had re-constructive surgery to her foot and leg, so please don't think that we are "power walkers" or that sort of thing. Nope, we're just average guests that enjoy the Resort.

Even if we have to walk to it.

Enjoy!

• Darkbeer

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Disneykat View Post
    Dunno, it's not really THAT far of a walk.
    The distance from the Front Lobby of the Paradise Pier Hotel, Candy Cane Inn and Howard Johnson's are basically the same distance, about 6/10th of a mile.

Both the CCI and HoJo's average rate is around $120 a night, both offer Tram service, or you can walk, it is your choice.

The Paradise Pier average rate is $265 a night, and you have NO choice.

If you are paying a Premium price, shouldn't you expect the same services as the lower price places???

(Rates are from the TripAdvisor Anaheim Hotel Main Page http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g2...ia-Hotels.html )
    Check out my Theme Park Photos at http://darkbeer.smugmug.com

• For old time sake

No because I have to walk everywhere else around Disneyland, so why should it matter if I have to walk to my hotel?
    Katie
    Founding member of the BA I LOVE us!!!
    FIGHT ON!!!!!!

And most of the folks that praise the Candy Cane and Hojo's also mention that it is a short walk...

Quote Originally Posted by Darkbeer View Post
    The Paradise Pier average rate is $265 a night, and you have NO choice.

As many times that we have stayed "on property", we have NEVER paid anywhere near that amount.

In fact, we are paying $129/night in October in a room which overlooks the Park.

MOST of our stays at the Resort hovered anywhere from $79 to $149, with MOST of them at $119. Sure they were AP rates, but compared to other hotels in the area, they were close enough. AND you are staying on property, with all of the benefits as such.

And we do have a choice. Either walk to the Monorail Station, or through DTD. And if we are going to enjoy DCA first, we can enter through the GCH, have fun there, and then just cross the esplanade to DL. When we finish up at DL, either catch the Monorail back, or enjoy a nice stroll through DTD.

Hakuna Matata!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post

As far as the FART system goes, I wouldn't care if it shut down and was replaced with a different service. My experience with them has shown me that their drivers are rude, wreckless and non-caring about their (paying) customer's. Not to mention their lack of ability to speak English in a clear manner. I'm sure these attributes do not represent ALL of their drivers, but the few that we have had the dis-pleasure of meeting sure fit the bill...
    Isn't wreckless kind of a good thing ?

Also, the environment walking on Harbor boulevard is not the same as walking through Downtown Disney, regardless of the distances.

What we don't have much of a choice with is your poll.

It is not an either/or.

No one is forced to walk through DTD as their only alternative to a Tram.

What about taking the Monorail?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffYardDog View Post
    Isn't wreckless kind of a good thing ?

Well, yeah, I guess if you enjoy laughing at little old ladies that are forced to stand up in an overcrowded trolley and then fall over to the floor because the maniacal driver takes a turn into a driveway too fast...

True story.

• Minion

Well, yeah, I guess if you enjoy laughing at little old ladies that are forced to stand up in an overcrowded trolley and then fall over to the floor because the maniacal driver takes a turn into a driveway too fast...

True story.
    What we have here is a failure to communicate .. syntactically.

Look it up in your Funk and Wagnalls ...

• Banned User

True story.
    "Wreckless" = lack of having been in a wreck.

"Reckless" = utterly unconcerned about the consequences of some action; without caution; careless.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

I just wish they'd move the Monorail back to the Disneyland Hotel
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com