Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question What is a Dark Ride? Classifications...

I need some help!

There's a debate going on another forum;
    http://www.themeuk.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=228

What would you clasify a dark ride as?

• Closed Account

Re: What is a Dark Ride? Classifications...

Personally when I say dark ride I am referring to a low speed ride without sophisitcated AA's that have a lot of black light. It's open to interpretation, I don't think there's a definite answer.

• She was sweet as a peach

It doesn't necessarily have to be low speed. One of the Travel Channel's Disney specials was on different ride types and how there are different types of thrills-inlcuding the Dark Ride. The ride they chose as an example was Dinosaur (Animal Kingdom)-which can feel like it is going pretty fast.

I would agree with the rest of your definition-AA's, black lights,etc...

I thought dark ride meant a ride that is an enclosed space and features actual movement (slow or fast) and is themed for immersion.

• Just this guy......

Originally a dark ride was a ride which you road around in darkness and/or black light. However, things have changed greatly over the years and many attractions push the limits and merge technologies to blur the lines what a dark ride is today.

I personally think that a dark ride is an attraction which places more importance on what you see than on speed of which you are moving and/or the type of vehicle you are in.

For example Space Mountain would not be considered a dark ride because it’s more important on the speed of your vehicle. Would Space Mountain work if you were only going at 3 miles an hour? The answer is no, which is why everyone considers it a roller coaster with effects.

Pirates of the Caribbean would still work even if it did not have its fun drops. This is why it is consider one of the great Dark Rides of all time.

• Inhospitable about happy

According the the usual definitions, it's an enclosed ride that takes you past animated scenes. (See the Wikipedia "dark ride" entry, for example.) But MOST dark rides are, well, dark, and MOST of them make heavy use of black lighting, and so some people would restrict the definition to rides with those two features as well. That's about as technical as it gets. You have a looser, wider definition, and you have a narrower, stricter definition. Take your pick.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by ni_teach View Post
    Originally a dark ride was a ride which you road around in darkness and/or black light. However, things have changed greatly over the years and many attractions push the limits and merge technologies to blur the lines what a dark ride is today.

I personally think that a dark ride is an attraction which places more importance on what you see than on speed of which you are moving and/or the type of vehicle you are in.

For example Space Mountain would not be considered a dark ride because itís more important on the speed of your vehicle. Would Space Mountain work if you were only going at 3 miles an hour? The answer is no, which is why everyone considers it a roller coaster with effects.

Pirates of the Caribbean would still work even if it did not have its fun drops. This is why it is consider one of the great Dark Rides of all time.
    THANK YOU! That's best definition I've seen yet!!!!

• Infinitized!

Is Splash Mountain considered a dark ride?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    no its a log ride with dark ride elements well IMO

• Just this guy......

Quote Originally Posted by Barbossa View Post
    I would say that Splash Mountain is not a dark ride because if you took out the 3 drops you would destroy the ride. The drops are the focus of the ride and the AAs and effects are extras.

I find the vehicle type to be a more appropriate definition. Single cars, or a small train of single cars (like the Cave Train at Santa Cruz) going through a dark show building with show elements timed for a single car. IMO the Haunted Mansion is not a dark ride, but would be if it was single cars going along with non-continuous effects and animation. I think another important aspect is assuming that a dark ride doesn't have any violent or thrilling motion.

My definition for a dark ride:
    • Single vehicle (or short train) moving constant speed on a track
    • Quick pace of story and show through small rooms, lots of turns, and show doors
    • Animation/sound is intended for a brief pass, whether triggered or continuous
    • Gentle vehicle movement
    • Based indoors in a dark show building
    There really aren't many different ride systems, and very, very few rides that don't clearly fit in one genre.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine View Post
    IMO the Haunted Mansion is not a dark ride
    No, the Haunted Mansion is a dark ride.

• Just this guy......

I find the vehicle type to be a more appropriate definition. Single cars, or a small train of single cars (like the Cave Train at Santa Cruz) going through a dark show building with show elements timed for a single car. IMO the Haunted Mansion is not a dark ride, but would be if it was single cars going along with non-continuous effects and animation.
    I have to respectably disagree with you. I think that the Haunted Mansion as one of the great Dark Rides ever built. It more traditional Dark Ride than PotC. Many of the HM effects are a throw back to the old pretzels original dark rides, just done on a much larger scale.

Sure the HM is a dark ride. But, going by ride system definitions, it is an omnimover.

If there were a listing of things by ride type that was for amusement park industry people, there is no way HM would be listed as "Ride system: Dark Ride(tm)". That's what I'm saying.

Anyone who knows how to operate a dark ride could learn another dark ride very easily, since they're really similar in operation. Anyone who knows an omnimover like Buzz Lightyear or Spaceship Earth could operate Haunted Mansion very easily, since it's another omnimover. From a non-operations standpoint, it could be called a dark ride, but not a "Dark Ride(tm)" in the technical sense. That's what I'm saying as a ride design / park operations geek.

• Banned User

Sure the HM is a dark ride. But, going by ride system definitions, it is an omnimover.

If there were a listing of things by ride type that was for amusement park industry people, there is no way HM would be listed as "Ride system: Dark Ride(tm)". That's what I'm saying.

Anyone who knows how to operate a dark ride could learn another dark ride very easily, since they're really similar in operation. Anyone who knows an omnimover like Buzz Lightyear or Spaceship Earth could operate Haunted Mansion very easily, since it's another omnimover. From a non-operations standpoint, it could be called a dark ride, but not a "Dark Ride(tm)" in the technical sense. That's what I'm saying as a ride design / park operations geek.
    Yes, but an omnimover is a variation of the dark ride.

Buzz & SSE would also be classed as a dark ride.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast