Question about Special Events (Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary)

I am trying to decide if there is any point in coordinating the purchase of my next annual pass to overlap with the Haunted Mansion's 40th anniversary.

We usually only buy APs every other year or so. We were planning to get them again in April of 2008, but I'm wondering if we should wait a little.

How do special events at the Mansion (or Disneyland in general) usually work? Would there be any advantage to having an annual pass at that time? Or is it more likely that it will be a separate ticket for that kind of event? And if so... would that separate ticket include park admission? If they DO have some sort of special HM event, in what month is it likely to occur?

I realize its all guesswork right now, but if anyone has experience with special events in the Mansion, I would love to hear educated guesses.

Thanks!

• n/a

Re: Question about Special Events (Haunted Mansion 40th Anniversary)

For the POTC 40th it was like a normal day at the park, except with a huge line to get into the Disney Gallery. They do have wristbands and stuff for things like ornaments and pins.
    “Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die.” ~ Mel Brooks

• Fight On for ol' SC!

Well, in the Pin World the HM is the biggest thing right now. HM pins are guaranteed to sell out no matter what the edition size. And the resale value is outrageous, nearly 3 times what it origianlly cost on some pins. I can't imagine Disney not putting on a HM 40th anniversary event. I am already saving my money to go to one if it happens.

• done

Quote Originally Posted by shirleyfilms View Post
    How do special events at the Mansion (or Disneyland in general) usually work? Would there be any advantage to having an annual pass at that time? Or is it more likely that it will be a separate ticket for that kind of event? And if so... would that separate ticket include park admission? If they DO have some sort of special HM event, in what month is it likely to occur?
    With the big events, it sometimes matters to have an AP, but only because of the discount. Sometimes, even the AP discount doesn't apply to a special event. For any kind of real event, it's a separate ticket. Usually, the separate ticket is good for entrance to the park at the time the event occurs, or maybe for an hour or so before, but usually not for the whole day.

I would expect that if they were to have some sort of event, it would be in the month that the anniversary occurs.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I happened to be in the park on the day of the POTC 40th and I didn't even realize it was the 40th anniversary until I went to buy some popcorn and noticed they had different souvenir buckets. Then I went to ride on POTC and noticed they had a banner above the entrance. That's it.

After talking to some CM's I learned that special pins were given out earlier that day but that was the extent of it all.

I don't think HM's 40th in a couple years will be met with any more fanfare than POTC's, but I do think it would be neat when they both turn 50 to have a 2 year celebration embracing both the POTC and HM 50th.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I happened to be in the park on the day of the POTC 40th and I didn't even realize it was the 40th anniversary until I went to buy some popcorn and noticed they had different souvenir buckets. Then I went to ride on POTC and noticed they had a banner above the entrance. That's it.

After talking to some CM's I learned that special pins were given out earlier that day but that was the extent of it all.

I don't think HM's 40th in a couple years will be met with any more fanfare than POTC's, but I do think it would be neat when they both turn 50 to have a 2 year celebration embracing both the POTC and HM 50th.
    I could picture the 50th anniversary celebration of these rides being much bigger. It is hard to believe that POTC is 40 years old and HM is 37 (the official opening was in the late part of 1967) years old. They have held up and truly stood the test of time. They are classics in every sense of the word. It will be really hard to believe once they are 50 years old. If only Walt lived longer, who knows what other ground breaking classics would have been built.