Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Denying Entrance to Male Guests with Long Hair?

When did Disneyland have this policy, and what was the reasoning behind it?

Did the dress code have something to do with the "Yippie" protest?

• I have a mole?!

Re: Denying Entrance to Male Guests with Long Hair?

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post

Did the dress code have something to do with the "Yippie" protest?
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the Yippie protest quite awhile after the dress code was instated?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Why was Elvis considered overtly sexual? It was the social normatives. In all honesty, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if long hair was associated with social/political troublemakers and/or homosexuals.

I think the better question is why did Walt want to be the only one with a moustache?

• Looking for Jessica...

I never ran into the hair length thing, but back in 1974 I was there with a few friends and we were denied entrance by security because of the rip in the knee area of one guy's jeans. The security agent let us go in after my friend used Disney supplied safety pins to fix the rip. It was a different era back then. And not necessarily worse, because some of today's standards aren't all that great.
    Last edited by AlbcAlbrr; 07-16-2007 at 07:21 PM. Reason: grammar

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Why was Elvis considered overtly sexual? It was the social normatives. In all honesty, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if long hair was associated with social/political troublemakers and/or homosexuals.

I think the better question is why did Walt want to be the only one with a moustache?
    Wasn't considered hirsutable on anyone else.

• Comin' at ya!

This question is from Snopes, is it not?
    "Pain is temporary, Film is Forever..."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyDude

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Prag, of all the members on this board, I'm quite surprised that you're asking this question.

As another member posted, it was a different time back then. Standard, "appropriate" dress was judged differently back then. When mothers wore dresses to vacuum the house, when a man wore a suit wherever he went.

It was starch. People praise Walt on this board, but I can bet you that most members here would disagree with some of his opinions and call him an old fart.

It was just the way culture was back then. Then the 60s hit, and pop culture took a dramatic turn. Oh sure, every generation breaks some boundary from the one before it, but the 60s did so much more.

"Appropriate gentlemen" did not wear their hair long then, in the world Walt grew up in. "Ladies" wore heels to Disneyland, for goodness sake. And then they had their heels sink into the fresh cement on opening day.

Are we lesser of a culture because we dress differently now? Absolutely not. But you can bet that it was hard for the idealistic 40s/50s nuclear family to see Sally come home in jeans and low-cut tops without a bra on.

The restrictions on facial hair are part of the uniform grooming standards to which only those hosts and hostesses who perform in on-stage, operational roles must adhere.

Each operational host or hostess has a repertoire of roles, so he or she has to be able to move from one area to another without causing any contradictions to the show. For example, modern styles of grooming might work in Tomorrowland while they would definitely be out of place in Frontierland. So, neutral styles are less likely to conflict with costumes and settings.

Even today, with the relaxation of the policy, one can see that the moustaches some hosts of Main Street, U.S.A. currently sport, for instance, are not really being worn in the same way most men at the turn of the 19th Century would have done so.
    Last edited by PragmaticIdealist; 07-16-2007 at 09:43 PM.

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

Quote Originally Posted by pineapplewhipaddict View Post
    Prag, of all the members on this board, I'm quite surprised that you're asking this question.

As another member posted, it was a different time back then. Standard, "appropriate" dress was judged differently back then. When mothers wore dresses to vacuum the house, when a man wore a suit wherever he went.

It was starch. People praise Walt on this board, but I can bet you that most members here would disagree with some of his opinions and call him an old fart.

It was just the way culture was back then. Then the 60s hit, and pop culture took a dramatic turn. Oh sure, every generation breaks some boundary from the one before it, but the 60s did so much more.

"Appropriate gentlemen" did not wear their hair long then, in the world Walt grew up in. "Ladies" wore heels to Disneyland, for goodness sake. And then they had their heels sink into the fresh cement on opening day.

Are we lesser of a culture because we dress differently now? Absolutely not. But you can bet that it was hard for the idealistic 40s/50s nuclear family to see Sally come home in jeans and low-cut tops without a bra on.
    That was deep, and i couldnt have said it better myself!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

I don't understand why this is ever surprising to people. The park opened in '55. Today, I'd presume they don't care for blatant profanity or obscene images on your clothing, or see-through tops sans skivvies or something. Dress is a lot more relaxed today, with a lot more choices, but back then, 'nice' clothes were pretty standard compared to now.

Personally, I'd love to see them enforce a 'No gentlemen wearing their pants below their buttcheeks' rule.
    You don't need me or my ham, cheese, cheese, cheese, tomato, cheese, ham and tomato sandwiches. And cheese.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Pffft lol you guys. Thank my theatre history...having to learn about vintage clothing and what was what for this and this era has been very important. You can learn a lot about history through simply the clothing of the era.

Quote Originally Posted by PleaseRemainSeated View Post
    Personally, I'd love to see them enforce a 'No gentlemen wearing their pants below their buttcheeks' rule.
    You'd think boys would want their pants or shorts to actually stay on them. Are belts really that evil? (Perhaps the trend could be curbed by calling them all "skater boyz"...that's how it all started. Skateboarders would pull their pants done a little lower so is their board jumped up in-between their legs, they wouldn't...suffer).

I say thank goodness to designers who have made girls' tops longer. Now we don't have to see or expose a full moon.

• "I Break Things"

One aspect of the "dress code" I still approve of is covering "adult" tattoos and removing clothing with offensive language. I understand the need for some people to protest and "flip off" society, but I never understood their reasoning behind doing it around so many little kids. I never had a problem calling security, not to be a prude, but some positions belong in the bedroom and not on someone's forearm! Also I really don't want a little kid asking his/her parents what F-U-..... spells!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

It wasn't a full moustache...more like 1/2 to 2/3 the size of one.

I don't think there was a problem with the long hair, I believe it was a problem with the guys trying to smuggle in those aerosol cans of hair spray, it's a potential fire hazard!!

I never had any problems back in my long hair/metal days going into the park (I just used alot of conditioner instead of hair spray, heh) of coarse this was in the late 80s when I got my 1st annual pass to Disneyland; so I guess it was post-bro-hah-hah times...or something...

Does anyone have any personal experience with the restriction on long hair?

Some of the people who make reference to this policy seem to be implying that Disney's management was taking a political stance.

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Even though I could get in the park now (thankfully) I still think it's "silly" (the nicest word I could think of) that Disneyland and countless other places will not hire a male for having long hair.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast