Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Idealized Disneyland

With all the threads regarding maintenance at the resort, chipped paint, graffiti, burnt out bulbs, etc, I got to thinking about the past.

Was the park "picture perfect" in the past? Do we all just have a nostalgic rosy picture in our heads of something that really never existed? Has time clouded our memory? My Mom used to say that at Disneyland if you dropped a napkin on Main Street, by the time it hit the ground a sweeper had it cleaned and handed you a new napkin to boot. Is that the "reality" that we are judging the resort by?

I also wonder if the nature of custodial and maintenice has changed. In 1950 would someone find the need to carve his initials or a curse word into a handrail? Would people be so apt to litter in 1969? Would a parent allow their toddler to literally rip flowers from a planter? (I actually witnessed the last one) Maybe it is more the fault of society, as DL Custodial fights a near losing battle with the behavior of the average theme park guest in 2007. Keeping in mind that the resort is a for profit enterprise, would actually spending the money to win the battle mean financial ruin for the park?

I personally do not see the majority of the stuff that is discussed here on the board. I don't go looking for it, but if I did I bet I would find it. The question is do I want to. Don't get me wrong, there are times I have seen something and thought, "Man, that could use some paint" But then I let it go, because I know that it will be taken care of, and I prefer to have my thoughts and memories of the park center around the fun I have with my friends and family in a place that holds fond, and admittedly idealized memories.

Do I remember spending the day at the park with my Great Grandfather in my teens, or the horrible blisters I got from pushing his wheelchair all day?

My point is it is all about what you choose to focus on.

So I am done rambling. All of this is IMHO.

Thanks for reading this...
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Re: Idealized Disneyland

As stated in another thread, litter and such does not concern me, as 'tidiness' and 'filthiness' are temporary states of being to begin with; especially when one considers the sheer volume of Guests (and all their unique attitudes as to what constitutes 'cleanliness') that visit the Park each day. Standards, I believe, are more difficult to uphold than in times past, and we see the evidence of it, and all share in the blame.

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

I think there is certainly a change in what custodial has to deal with today. I mean, when the park opened, people dressed up to visit! Ladies in heels and skirts! Nowadays, when I wear my costume with heels and a skirt, I overhear guests' astonishment ("Oh my god, she's wearing heels! Somebody get her some tennis shoes!") - so yeah, I'd say the level of respect that the guests bring to the park has changed, and it's certainly affected what the CMs have to deal with.

I also think you're absolutely right that it's all in the way you approach your day. You can be the guy who chooses to come to City Hall with (literally) a notepad full of things you noticed that day you want fixed (the 14th light bulb in the Small World building is out, theres a crack in the sidewalk by thunder ranch, etc.) or you can be the guest that notices & only complains if it actually affected your enjoyment of the park. We've got great leadership in Tony Baxter & John Lasseter, I'll trust them to find the little cracks and light bulbs stuff.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I definitely remember not too long your table would always be bussed even at places like Tomorrowland Terrace. You never had to throw your food away when you were done.

When we started having to do this a few years back, it actually felt a bit awkward to me. Not that I didn't want to do it, but it just felt a little weird, a feeling like I was being left stranded or something. I know it is common at places like McDonalds but it just felt weird having to do it at Disneyland.

Now of couse I am used to this, but this is what they used to do way back when.

Thumbs up Re: Idealized Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by RumRunner31 View Post
    ..you can be the guest that notices & only complains if it actually affected your enjoyment of the park.
    EXACTLY!
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I definitely remember not too long your table would always be bussed even at places like Tomorrowland Terrace. You never had to throw your food away when you were done.

When we started having to do this a few years back, it actually felt a bit awkward to me. Not that I didn't want to do it, but it just felt a little weird, a feeling like I was being left stranded or something. I know it is common at places like McDonalds but it just felt weird having to do it at Disneyland.

The reason you don't have your tables bussed anymore is because of the cheapskates that want to cut costs. Disney needs to stop trying to cut costs and focus on giving their customers a better experience. People are more inconsiderate nowdays and Disney needs to do something about guests who are inconsiderate. However, inconsiderate guests aren't an excuse for lack of cleanlinees. Disney needs to step up to the challenge of making their parks as clean as possible.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post

See I don't mind throwing away my own trash, cleaning up after myself, but what gets me is whenever I go to Riverbelle, Golden Horseshoe, French Market, Tomorrowland Terrace, I have to clean the table that was left by the person before me and not cleaned up (and soda, stickiness, etc everywhere). And it's the people before me being slobs and not enough CMs there...

But corporations need to cut costs to earn a profit. Disney is not a charity.

Is the average guest really put off by a few fans percieved problems with maintenece and cleanliness?

I would venture a guess that 99.9% of Disneyland Guests don't notice most of the things brought up on this board. And TDA is not going to respond to a few over zealous fans, they look at the average guests perception, and budget accordingly.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• "I Break Things"

odd... most of the "burnt out" bulbs in Indy were actually bulbs a guest decided to unscrew because they wanted to play a prank on their friend.. because we all know walking through a confined space in complete darkness is not only safe, it's hilarious... yeah. I am also amazed at the LAZINESS of some guests. For example, if the trashcan is full and an empty one is 3ft away do they go to the empty one? No, they stack the trash ON TOP of the full one, because the trash fairy will magically pick it up and put it in the empty one for them.

Watching kids rip up flowers is annoying, watching a Mother drop her toddler's pants so he can go off the 2nd story of the J.C. Boathouse... now that was amazing. Several people were wondering why it was raining on a sunny day!

So yeah everyone has a different standard of clean, before it was mainly limited to U.S. but over time the park has become a major international destination as well... some cultures are extremely clean, others.... not so much.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    See I don't mind throwing away my own trash, cleaning up after myself, but what gets me is whenever I go to Riverbelle, Golden Horseshoe, French Market, Tomorrowland Terrace, I have to clean the table that was left by the person before me and not cleaned up (and soda, stickiness, etc everywhere). And it's the people before me being slobs and not enough CMs there...
    I don't mind having to pick up after myself either. As I said it's not that I don't want to, but this was one of those things that made Disneyland stand out amongst the other parks and a nice touch to make their guests feel special. Now that it is gone it is ok but this was one of those small things that made Disneyland special and unique.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    odd... most of the "burnt out" bulbs in Indy were actually bulbs a guest decided to unscrew because they wanted to play a prank on their friend.. because we all know walking through a confined space in complete darkness is not only safe, it's hilarious... yeah.

Watching kids rip up flowers is annoying, watching a Mother drop her toddler's pants so he can go off the 2nd story of the J.C. Boathouse... now that was amazing. Several people were wondering why it was raining on a sunny day!

I hate these damn punk kids that think they are being cute by unscrewing lightbulbs. Don't parents teach their kids to respect other people's property anymore? Parents are so lazy and unresponsible, they probably blame video games for their kids unscrewing lightbulbs in a queue. About the toddler, what kind of low life idiot let's there kids pee off a building in a crowded theme park? That is just absolutly disgusting , that mother should have been arrested.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Wait where can you unscrew lightbulbs in Indy?

I saw a toddler in line for Nemo in a diaper only. It was awesome. I mean... if I was the sibling to that kid I would be taking pictures and holding them for years to embarrass the kid.

I get cutting corners to have money. Trust me I do. But Disney has the money. See and maybe this is because I run a non-profit preschool right down the street and am getting screwed by Anaheim right now, but it's not like Disney corporation has to go "we need this, this, this to function, and we can only afford one thing." No, rather they're cutting the cleaniliness of the park, not hiring enough maintence CMs, and then look at their profits!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by knittingknerd View Post
    Wait where can you unscrew lightbulbs in Indy?

I saw a toddler in line for Nemo in a diaper only. It was awesome. I mean... if I was the sibling to that kid I would be taking pictures and holding them for years to embarrass the kid.

I get cutting corners to have money. Trust me I do. But Disney has the money. See and maybe this is because I run a non-profit preschool right down the street and am getting screwed by Anaheim right now, but it's not like Disney corporation has to go "we need this, this, this to function, and we can only afford one thing." No, rather they're cutting the cleaniliness of the park, not hiring enough maintence CMs, and then look at their profits!

That toddler should be forced to wear some kind of pants in the park. Disney does have a ton of money to spend on maintaince and stuff, but unfortenately they can be very cheap.

They are a corporation and a smart corporation does not spend if they don't have to even if "they have tons of money".

Exxon makes billions of dollars in profit every quarter and they have "tons of money" but that doesn't mean that they are gonna lower the price of gas. Why would it make business sense for Disney to spend money they don't need to, to please 1/100 of park guests?
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    D23 Charter Member

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew

Blog Entries

Don't mention Exxon right now. I am so... over gas prices.

But does maintence count as something they don't need? And I wonder if their executives "need" their giant paychecks...sorry small business here...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast