• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Disneyland's audio central

Is Disneyland's system also refered to as DACS? And when was the park upgraded with this system?

Thanks for any info.

Re: Disneyland's audio central

Since you mention "Disneyland" and only "audio" in your question...I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but in the Walt Disney World forum just 3 days ago, I wrote:

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy
    I miss Ida Jo. She ran DACS (Digital or sometimes Disney Animation Control System...the central show control room down in the utilidor beneath the Magic Kingdom). She was perhaps my favorite WDW Cast Member. She was so sweet and loved Disney and loved what she did and ran a tight ship but always had time to give a "tour" and had that wonderful Southern charm (and drawl). Just loved her. And miss her.

They had one of the old Audio Animatronic programing boards down there with Disney Legend Bill Justice's doodles all over it that he did while he was bored waiting for programing re-cycles back in 1971. You could "work" an AA dog they had there from Carousal of Progress. You could also plug headsets into one of a thousand jacks and hear each and every attraction's individual sound loops...creaking stairs in the Haunted Mansion, an individual pirate's vocals from POC....etc, etc. Was just such fun and she was such a class lady!

She was one of the first local hires they did back when they were just starting to install and build the attractions...and worked there through at least WDW's 20th Anniversary. I heard she retired. I'm sure she's loving whatever it is that she's now doing. She was just that kind of person. A real character. She loved talking, that's for sure! Probably got lonely down there! It was a tightly secured area.

If that's the DACS you're referring to, it controlled a lot more than just the audio.

When? I would guess that DACS started showing up around 1970.

Now if you're talking about some other DACS that does mean "Disneyland Audio Central"...then I can't help you there. The only thing that I know about Disneyland's audio (as in Parade music, outside background music, etc)...is that their control room used to be above the Bank of Main Street. Might still be there. In the old days you could look up there from down below and see the room all lit up and all the old reel-to-reel tapes spinning!

• Mountain Dew User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Opus1guy View Post
    Since you mention "Disneyland" and only "audio" in your question...I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing, but in the Walt Disney World forum just 3 days ago, I wrote:

If that's the DACS you're referring to, it controlled a lot more than just the audio.

When? I would guess that DACS started showing up around 1970.

Now if you're talking about some other DACS that does mean "Disneyland Audio Central"...then I can't help you there. The only thing that I know about Disneyland's audio (as in Parade music, outside background music, etc)...is that their control room used to be above the Bank of Main Street. Might still be there. In the old days you could look up there from down below and see the room all lit up and all the old reel-to-reel tapes spinning!

Thank you for the info! I was indeed refering to the animation as well, I knew it controlled more than just audio but for some reason i just put the word audio down not even realizing that it had the same abbreviation.

Each attraction at Disneyland has its own control system for animation and audio. They are not necessarily connected to other systems. Example: Pooh Queue can't be used for all park calls, just because of how it's set up.
    In contrast, at Walt Disney World, theoretically an all-park announcement could be piped into nearly every speaker.