View Poll Results: Does a Dark Ride have to have a track?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 22.22%
  • No

35 77.78%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Banned User

Question Does a Dark Ride have to be on a track?

Disneyland has created MANY classic dark rides...

But here's the question. Does a dark ride have to have a track?

This is an ongoing debate on another forum, & I'd like the opinion of the MiceChat experts.

• Minion

Re: Does a Dark Ride have to be on a track?

poohs honey hunt is a dark ride and its not on tracks

so no.

• Minion

To me, a "Dark Ride" means simply that - - a ride through sets in a building - - it could be a boat, a vehicle, track or none. Like Pooh at Tokyo - with freeroaming vehicles.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    poohs honey hunt is a dark ride and its not on tracks

so no.

I'm not doubting you, but then how does it work?

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post
    To me, a "Dark Ride" means simply that - - a ride through sets in a building - - it could be a boat, a vehicle, track or none. Like Pooh at Tokyo - with freeroaming vehicles.

Ahh, but then the boat is guided by a track, like with Small World & Pirates.

• Minion

disney magic of course

• Banned User

disney magic of course

The real answer please. LoL!

The Pots use pre-programmed paths, so technically they are not free roaming, but they don't have tracks in the traditional sense.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDisney View Post
    The Pots use pre-programmed paths, so technically they are not free roaming, but they don't have tracks in the traditional sense.
    There's your answer then. For it to be a "traditional" dark ride it needs to be on a "traditional" track...
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• A Honorary Autobot

See, I misinterpreted this question entirely. By "track" being the key word in the question, I was thinking the inquiry was asking if a WALK THROUGH could be considered a ride, such as the Sleeping Beauty Castle. Is it a walk through (especially given the announcement that the Castle will soon be reopened with new effects, sounds, and dressings)? I say, no.

But what is a Dark Ride to you all? The Mansion? Yes. Pirates? Yes. Snow White, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, and Peter Pan? All yes.

How about Indy? I say yes because I don't call it a roller coaster while Space Mountain being literally a dark ride is a coaster, not a "dark ride" as per our reasoning.

Is Pooh? Of course. Small World? I lean towards no because of it's utter lack of effects, but by definition, I guess it is.

How about Splash Mountain? Is it more a flume than a dark ride? If so, does that -in turn- make Knott's log ride a dark ride as well?

With Screamin's new Villain refitting planned in the next few years, will it too, be considered a dark ride as your train careens through dark tunnels and new effects? I vote no, as well.

What do you guys think?

• Minion

i honestly dont know how it works, from the video i watched it looks kind of like how the teacups work, but on a big path way.

Not quite. The Pots are generated paths in real-time by a computer. A second before the Pot moves, its computer has no idea where it's going to go next. Central makes them move.

And a dark ride is any ride that's enclosed. Most of them make a use of blacklight due to space limitations (try to light, say, Mr. Toad any other way and you've got WAY too much light), but larger spaces such as Pirates do not have to worry about that.
    As far as tracks go, yes, generally. If the Pack Mules went through Rainbow Caverns, that wouldn't necessarily be a dark ride.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    See, I misinterpreted this question entirely. By "track" being the key word in the question, I was thinking the inquiry was asking if a WALK THROUGH could be considered a ride, such as the Sleeping Beauty Castle. Is it a walk through (especially given the announcement that the Castle will soon be reopened with new effects, sounds, and dressings)? I say, no.

But what is a Dark Ride to you all? The Mansion? Yes. Pirates? Yes. Snow White, Pinocchio, Mr. Toad, and Peter Pan? All yes.

How about Indy? I say yes because I don't call it a roller coaster while Space Mountain being literally a dark ride is a coaster, not a "dark ride" as per our reasoning.

Is Pooh? Of course. Small World? I lean towards no because of it's utter lack of effects, but by definition, I guess it is.

With Screamin's new Villain refitting planned in the next few years, will it too, be considered a dark ride as your train careens through dark tunnels and new effects? I vote no, as well.

What do you guys think?
    That villain thing really is going to happen? I thought they were tearing out muhulland madness and putting an indoor scary villain rollar coaster!

screamin wouldnt be considered a dark ride, it would be a rollar coaster with dark ride effects.

Dark Ride- N. - A dark ride or darkride is an indoor amusemant ride consisting of a vehicle and animated scenes.
    BRYANT - MEGADISNEY
    Owner/Travel Advisor - Magical Partners Travel
    Walt Disney Company Stockholder
    D23 Charter Member

• A Honorary Autobot

That villain thing really is going to happen? I thought they were tearing out muhulland madness and putting an indoor scary villain rollar coaster!

screamin wouldnt be considered a dark ride, it would be a rollar coaster with dark ride effects.
    Do yourself a favor and read Al Lutz' "Resurrections and Returns" article on the MiceAge front page. It's chocked full of really good news.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast