Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

Before we hail the Castle Reopening --- is it? What about _____?

I am sorry guys....

I just don't buy it.

How does the Pirate Grotto lead to this anymore than any other improvement or removal of an object?

I firmly believe -- and I have nothing but my own gut feeling that terrorist fears will keep it closed.

It's like the Anthrax attack after 9/11. Does anyone even rememeber this? No, cause there are no newsworthy videos and pictures. I feel the castle would be the newsworthy photo that would hurt people's emotions and sensibilities far more than if something were to happen inside of Pirates or any other interior ride. Even though the cost of life and damage would probably be more in Pirates, the castle is the centerpiece.

I am very sorry if this is a sad or poor argument and I am in no way suggesting or supporting anything "un-toward".

What is the Castle made out of? I thought it was just a wooden structure and pretty easy to damage if anyone were to think of it.

I recall being in DCA a while back at a hotdog stand on the road to the Alladdin Theatre and across from the Bear In The Big Blue House show and someone left a backpack there... a man in a white straw hat came up to me and asked if it were mine. I was the only one getting condiments (where the bag was left). Once I said no.. he pulled out a radio and two other men seemed to come out of nowhere and I was ushered out of an small 6 or 7 foot area that the men blocked with outstretched arms. The original White hatted man began feeling the bag as the other two started talking on their radios and just slowly moved outwards creating a larger empty space... if only by a few feet.

The White hatted man then opened the bag in a way that I can only call "very carefully" and removed the personal belongings of the non-threatening lost bag and the two men immedeatly retreated into the crowd without any signal or clue to their reason they were there.

I say "crowd" -- but no one else knew anything. The crowd was just the regular foot traffic moving back and forth. If it was not for me being at the condiment stand... I would never had known either.

So first off -- ALL HAIL the White Hatted Man.

But I wonder how many times this happens and how could anyone stop a backpack in a small area such as the Castle? They will certainly not ask anyone with a camera bag to leave it outside. The area is so narrow that I don;t think anyone could be in there at all times and monitor. Of course, I am sure that video camera's monitor the area but they are not a deterreant.

Disney Road

• Defying gravity

Re: Before we hail the Castle Reopening --- is it? What about _____?

• Banned User

some of us have never even seen the walk thru, in fact I thought we were walking thru it. anyone have a video of the walk thru or a youtube? whats the deal with this opening, is there more to it then the store and the obvious go in and out ?

• Banned User

ok, I found one on youtube...

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hakuna Makarla View Post
    some of us have never even seen the walk thru, in fact I thought we were walking thru it. anyone have a video of the walk thru or a youtube? whats the deal with this opening, is there more to it then the store and the obvious go in and out ?
    Firstly:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=DQ5n0g1CK9M

Secondly: What? Please restate your question in english Or perhaps the video will answer all your questions.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Special Agent

The Castle was never closed due to security concerns. That was simply a convenient excuse. The Castle was closed due to lack of visitors and upkeep. If anyone wanted to blow up the castle, they could easily do so from the outside.

If they are going to reopen it, they have to spruce it up with very interesting and interactive special effects to get visitation up.

• Waiting for my E-Ticket

Hanging out at The Attic with Johnny Dakota

I'm hoping this is true though. I never even knew the walk-thru was there the 2 times I visited Disneyland in the 80's.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

If the goal of blowing something up is to cause the most casualties, the castle would not be the best place to start. Other than the symbolic thought of it there is no reason why the castle would be considered a terrorist target.

Sounds grim, but it's what I think.

Chad

• Neep meep beep

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    The Castle was never closed due to security concerns. That was simply a convenient excuse. The Castle was closed due to lack of visitors and upkeep. If anyone wanted to blow up the castle, they could easily do so from the outside.
    Exactly - thank you for stating this! The castle could be blown up from underneath it, from the side, from the shops, from a plane overhead - that couldn't be the reason, logically.

Like anything else, it came down to money.

• Fighter Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Frogberto View Post
    Exactly - thank you for stating this! The castle could be blown up from underneath it, from the side, from the shops, from a plane overhead - that couldn't be the reason, logically.

Like anything else, it came down to money.

well thats part of it, in Lutz's article this week I believe it was eloborated a little bit more.

• DL Nerd

I remember being in there!

(kinda)
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Arizona's own

Blog Entries

I remember hearing in 2000 that they were going to close the walk through since it did not get enough foot traffic.

• "I Break Things"

The goal of terrorism is fear and publicity. The castle is an international symbol. You are correct in stating that it could be taken out from a variety of angles and places, but opening the top is allowing one more possible extremely secluded spot... Even if a bag is left, how quickly could security respond to it? IMO leave it closed but install cameras in case someone ever does think to pick the locks!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

ok well someone could throw a bomb off their bobseld in the matterhorn, thats an international symbol.

terrorist attacks can happen in alot of places but i agree its about instilling fear and not so much as killing as many people as possible. well its kind of both, one happens after the other.

• Sgt Pepper's Cardiologist

The Castle was never closed due to security concerns. That was simply a convenient excuse.

I clearly rememeber Disneyland closing on 9/11 and it being widely reported on CNN and the CBC (Canadian here) that the castle at Disneyland was soon found to be a target by terrorists through discovery and interceptions of communications.

I know, I know, I know.... that the 'convenient excuse' is extreamly plausable... but so is the opposite argument.

Disney Road

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast