Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• The Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    We went this weekend. It was quite nice! The wine tasting was about $13 for 3 glasses (and quite full glasses I might add). We did a set of reds and whites. Good wine, great atmosphere, and not many people either. Can't wait to go again! Good recomendeation!
    we meant to go, but we got sidetracked with a few other things, and didnt end up making it up there, so we are going to have to do that this comnig weekend

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mhrc4
    http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disn...llarDiningPage

Has anyone ever been down there for their wine tasting? is it any good? worth the money?
    You are asking the right guy... I have been a wine insider in Napa Valley for the last five years...

I have been there and trolled through their wine list... Not bad, but not great, there are some holes in their portfolio... They have some interesting high end wines that you aren't going to find many places...

From a wine insider's perspective I feel Catal's by the glass wine list is better...

Napa Rose is interesting to look at their menu, because every meal comes with a wine parring (which explains the high prices) because they may have to open a bottle just for you...

The Wine Bar in DCA is very generic, with little selection... (I am not very comfortable with a wine attraction in DCA it isn't very family friendly.)

I do have a recomendation that you try going to the events that are held by the Orange County Wine Society at the Anaheim Hilton - across the street from Disneyland. The entrance fee can be a bit pricey... But you get an industry insider's view at what a trade show is like.

I have poured there... they have events twice a year (once in the spring and once in the fall.) Infact one should be coming up soon.

The best wine list of them all is at HighTimes... They have everything, and if they don't have a wine in stock they will find it for you...

What ever you do, stay away from Temecula... YUCK... It isn't anything like Napa Valley... Santa Barbara/Bulton area is 100 times better... Particularly the Chardonnay and the Pinot Noir... (Yes, just like Sideways - the Hitching Post's Highlander is terrific... And I like Dan Geirs too...)

I am surprised that DCA doesn't have a "wine and food festival" like Epcot.

• /sigh

Even if you're not the wine connoisseur, it's still a great place to sit back, enjoy a glass and reminisce the good ol' days of Disney.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

i agree cuzco!
    I wanted to go yesterday but i got side tracked with stuff I had to do for my wedding....and I wanted to go tonight but my fiance is working late and will be out after they close
    Maybe on another day because I really want to check that place out

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA
    i agree cuzco!
    I wanted to go yesterday but i got side tracked with stuff I had to do for my wedding....and I wanted to go tonight but my fiance is working late and will be out after they close
    Maybe on another day because I really want to check that place out
    Do try. And congrats, Laura, on the upcoming wed! Will it be...dare I ask..at Dl??
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"

• Minion

LOL, I wish it could be at DL but they are expensive! We both have huge families and we wouldn't be able to afford it.

• /sigh

Quote Originally Posted by LAURA
    LOL, I wish it could be at DL but they are expensive! We both have huge families and we wouldn't be able to afford it.
    Bummer. I need to live vicariously through someone who will have a wedding there!

• Minion

I know I did!
    a co-worker got married there last september and it was gorgeous! It was over at the GC hotel. He is a DL nut as well.....I told him jokingly that i was disappointed that he did not invite mickey

• The Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    You are asking the right guy... I have been a wine insider in Napa Valley for the last five years...

I have been there and trolled through their wine list... Not bad, but not great, there are some holes in their portfolio... They have some interesting high end wines that you aren't going to find many places...

From a wine insider's perspective I feel Catal's by the glass wine list is better...

Napa Rose is interesting to look at their menu, because every meal comes with a wine parring (which explains the high prices) because they may have to open a bottle just for you...

The Wine Bar in DCA is very generic, with little selection... (I am not very comfortable with a wine attraction in DCA it isn't very family friendly.)

I do have a recomendation that you try going to the events that are held by the Orange County Wine Society at the Anaheim Hilton - across the street from Disneyland. The entrance fee can be a bit pricey... But you get an industry insider's view at what a trade show is like.

I have poured there... they have events twice a year (once in the spring and once in the fall.) Infact one should be coming up soon.

The best wine list of them all is at HighTimes... They have everything, and if they don't have a wine in stock they will find it for you...

What ever you do, stay away from Temecula... YUCK... It isn't anything like Napa Valley... Santa Barbara/Bulton area is 100 times better... Particularly the Chardonnay and the Pinot Noir... (Yes, just like Sideways - the Hitching Post's Highlander is terrific... And I like Dan Geirs too...)

I am surprised that DCA doesn't have a "wine and food festival" like Epcot.
    wow, name dropping like a mofo....

i have been all over California and France wine tasting, from Napa and Sonoma areas to temecula, you name it, weve been there. We live 40 minutes from Temecula, and their wine selection is very good, IMHO, as i am not a wine snob, and do not desire to spend over $100 on a bottle of wine like some people. Call it refined tastes, call it being a snob, same thing.

Temecula has a very good selection or locally grown wines that area affordable and enjoyable, and a decent selection that can provide good wines for any taste.

With that being said, the wine tasting at DCA is nothing to write home about, i will agree there, as most of their stuff is pretty generic, but I enjoy talking with the employees that have made wine and its education, their passion. Wether the wine is good or not, the interaction with these individuals is why we go wine tasting usually. Hell, if i wanted to drop money on wine, i can go to beverages and more and spend money....

to not muck this up anymore, ill stop there.

Thanks for your input on the wine cellar at Disneyland hotel, that was all I asked for.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mhrc4
    Temecula has a very good selection or locally grown wines that area affordable and enjoyable, and a decent selection that can provide good wines for any taste.
    OT. I think you are nuts...

My parents had a house down in Menifee... I used to visit Temecula too... It isn't Napa Valley like, and people have tried to make the comparison... The Terrior is not there... The geography reminds me more of Livermore... But it is a lot warmer so the vines are not fighting as much to take in minerals...

The result is a wine with a duller edge and less nuance... I have not found a Temecula wine that I liked, but I am spoiled being in Napa Valley.

But you know, everyone's palate is differant... If you like Temecula great - I am less than trilled! I still think going up the coast with climate that is cooler nights will generally produce stronger vines and therefore better wines...

Back on topic...

Here is a trivia question for you Disneyland Fans:

The vines that are next to the Golden Vine Winery at DCA have roses growing next to them... Do you know why Vineyards grow roses?

I will give the answer tomorrow... at least untill someone gets it right...

• Material Girl

The vines that are next to the Golden Vine Winery at DCA have roses growing next to them... Do you know why Vineyards grow roses?
    I think it signifies who owns the vineyard.

• /sigh

Isn't if there are bugs or afids, the roses will attract them before they go to the grapes?

• The Mad Hatter

Back on topic...

Here is a trivia question for you Disneyland Fans:

I will give the answer tomorrow... at least untill someone gets it right...
    it is becuase of Mildew

the wineries put rose bushes at the ends of each row of grape vines, if the roses are getting mildew on them, then the people who tend to the vines need to use extra means to adjust the temperature in the air surrounding the vines, so as the grapes do not get stuck with mildew, which would ruin the grape. (hence the huge fans you see throughout most vineyards up in Napa)

• /sigh

Makes sense.

• The Mad Hatter

My parents had a house down in Menifee... I used to visit Temecula too... It isn't Napa Valley like, and people have tried to make the comparison... The Terrior is not there... The geography reminds me more of Livermore... But it is a lot warmer so the vines are not fighting as much to take in minerals...

The result is a wine with a duller edge and less nuance... I have not found a Temecula wine that I liked, but I am spoiled being in Napa Valley.

But you know, everyone's palate is differant... If you like Temecula great - I am less than trilled! I still think going up the coast with climate that is cooler nights will generally produce stronger vines and therefore better wines...
    and second of all, your arguement, while might have some factual basis, you are comparing products that are completely determined by a persons individual pallete.

That would essentially be me arguing that Kia has no business making cars, because darn it, honda is much more reliable, and its more economical for honda to produce their cars than kia produce theirs.

my point, its completely personal preference, so your arguing over the fact that your nose is too high in the air to appreciate anything in Temecula, is stupid.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast