Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• The Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    Makes sense.
    its the truth (or close to it LOL, thats what i remember from a few wine tours I have done and some of the growers I have talked with)

• /sigh

True. The way I drink wine: If I like it, I drink it. Period.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• The Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzco-topia
    True. The way I drink wine: If I like it, I drink it. Period.
    I am 100% with you, I have types I prefer, but honestly, i have no problem drinking a $3 bottle of White Zinfandel with my wife, or a $5 Muscato from Maurice Carrie in Temecula. You drink what you find enjoyable! Thats the joys of wine tasting and wine growing. Heck, if it were true that everyone must only drink wines from the most ideal climate and best growing procedures, we wouldnt have all the vineyards and wineries all over California, let alone all over Europe

• /sigh

Exactly. My fav right now is a nice riesling.
    Marge: Barnacle Bill's Home Pregnancy Test? Homer, shouldn't we have gone with a better-known brand?
    Homer: But Marge, this one came with a corn-cob pipe!
    Marge: [reading from the test box] "Ahoy, Maties! If the water turns blue, a baby for you! If purple ye see, no baby thar be!"
    Homer: So, which is it? Blue or purple?
    Marge: Pink.
    Homer: D'oh!
    Marge: "If ye test should fail, to a doctor set sail!"

• Minion

I'm so jealous......i dunno know diddly squat about wines. All the names sound the same and I know that some can be dry. I need to go wine tasting or something to learn that stuff.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mhrc4
    my point, its completely personal preference, so your arguing over the fact that your nose is too high in the air to appreciate anything in Temecula, is stupid.
    Now, now... I am not here to pick a fight with you... Lets change the subject discuss wines that we can agree with... How about wines relating to Disney?

Do you like Fess Parker? I do. I met some of his family members at trade shows... Fantastic offerings...

How about Lasseter's Vineyard in Sonoma Valley? You know, I am told he puts Pixar characters on his wine labels, though I have never seen them...

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    How about Lasseter's Vineyard in Sonoma Valley? You know, I am told he puts Pixar characters on his wine labels, though I have never seen them...
    that would be cool to see!

• The Mad Hatter

Quote Originally Posted by cellarhound
    Now, now... I am not here to pick a fight with you... Lets change the subject discuss wines that we can agree with... How about wines relating to Disney?

Do you like Fess Parker? I do. I met some of his family members at trade shows... Fantastic offerings...

nor am I, though you came off like the stereotypical snot who lives in napa area...

anyhow, I have met Eli Parker, Fess' son, and we just purchased close to $100 in wine and clothes at his tasting room in Los Olives. Very good selection of wine, and they have a late harvest Chardonnay that is to die for

www.epiphanycellars.com

•   
    • Minion

I promised an answer to my question so here it is...

The question was:

The vines that are next to the Golden Vine Winery at DCA have roses growing next to them... Do you know why Vineyards grow roses?

The answer is:

Vinegrowers use roses for desease control. The primary function is to combat a type of mold which likes to attack vines. Fortunately there is only one plant that is more ceceptible to mold and that is the rose bush.

If a rose bush dies, you check that area for mold and do what you can to stop the spores from spreading.

There are some botonists that insist this is a myth... Partly because there are outher more effective measures of mold detection and control, and partly because there are some veritals like Nobel Muscat that trives when mold attacks the vine, producing fruit with higher sugar levels.

There are other myths of the like including why wine growers like to grow mustard between the vines in the spring as a way to restore nitrogen back into the soil. It still doesn't stop wild mustard from blooming in the spring.

However, the roses by the DCA vines are likely not for mold control, but rather because vinegrowers have been plant them next to vines over the last hundred years... A practice many (but not all) vine growers continue today.

• The Mad Hatter

rather long explanation to tell me i was correct

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123