Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Follow me on Twitter!!!

The ORIGINAL Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

How different was the original walkthrough from the newer version us younger generations remember??? Were there AA-like figures???

Does anyone have any pictures???

I'm hoping that if it's true that theyre reopining this classic attraction, that it will still be similar to what we all saw during the 80s and 90s...
    *~*~*Prince Dalton*~*~*

• SpitSpot!

Re: The ORIGINAL Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough

I don't have pictures, but I remember the diarama characters less "cartoon"like. I am not sure how to explain - the faces were less round I guess.
    "First of all I would like to make one thing perfectly clear.
    I never explain anything." Mary Poppins
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/26132873@N00/

• Minion

The original version was stylized in the manner of the film. Designed by Ken Anderson and Claude Coats from inspirational tableau paintings by Eyvind Earle (all of whom worked on the film), the diorama sets featured dramatic three-dimensional painted flats with lighting and special effects. Even though the technology was simpler, it was far more lovely, dramatic and evocative of the film than the Emporium dolls that replaced it. They were like dimensional storybook paintings. The characters looked right and the concepts were more from the cartoon or in that spirit. But the sets suffered in repainting over time, drifting further from the original models (as also happened to the old Fantasyland rides).

In fact, the 1977 replacement was a tragedy at the time for many of us.

There was an issue of E Ticket that showed photos of the boys working with Walt on the original sets and those shots give some of the more stylized flavor (though the article text seemed to be clueless about the different versions). And there is a GREAT true 3-D shot of the original "Sleeping Beauty in bed" window in the Fantasyland View-Master packets of the 1960's. It is the best reference I know of outside of the studio photo library and the Eyvind Earle inspirational paintings.

Because it was so dark in there and behind glass (and way before digital cameras), there are few tourist photos of that interior floating around.

DID YOU KNOW?: Most of the surviving Earle window concept paintings have been reproduced and are hanging at the Disneyland Hotel for you to discover on your next trip! They are up in a hallway on the second floor where the conference rooms are, above the old Goofy restaurant. Take a trip over there to see them and you'll get an idea - - though the final windows differed from those concepts somewhat.

• Minion

ORDDU: As I recall, the original scenes were much smaller than the Emporium style windows were. Therefore, it took longer for guests to move through the passageways, because only one or two people could view them at a time. The much larger, animatronic laden scenes allowed for faster movement through the castle. Also, the original scenes--if memory serves--didn't necessarily tell the story in proper sequence, as did the remake scenes. There was a lot more focus on Maleficent and her goons in the original walk-thru. We remember the echo chamber and another small view of spinning wheels that could make you positiviely dizzy if you stared at them too long. If Disney Imagineers could bring back SOME of these earlier ideas--while combining them with some totally new ones--the castle would most likely have a long line out the door!

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Forum Sommelier

Here's a video that I got somewhere on the web. Maybe someone here, I don't remember
    http://s103.photobucket.com/albums/m...t=fbfc37d6.flv
    Mike

• Fighter Pilot

• Minion

>>There was a lot more focus on Maleficent and her goons in the original walk-thru. We remember the echo chamber and another small view of spinning wheels that could make you positiviely dizzy if you stared at them too long.<<

Yes - - a favorite window was "Maleficent's bottomless pit of screams" - a dramatic visual of a bottomless pit of colorful swirling demons and darkness with Maleficent peeking out from behind. It featured a wired echo chamber effect so that anything you said at the pit was amplified and echoed about that section of the castle. What fun! Kids loved it. Most shouted their names, but many, of course, screamed the ever popular "****" and "****" etc. onto the echo chamber to peals of giggles, then ran away (likely the reaon the echo went away in the 70's redo).

• Inhospitable about happy

If someone knows how to scan View-Master photos, now would be a great time to reproduce the gorgeous shot of Aurora asleep that could be found on the old reels. It's from the original walk-thru and makes a perfect point of contrast with one of the shots Werner posted. I've got two of those View-Master reels right next to me here, but I don't know how to get them online.

• Minion

Weren't some of the dolls a gift from Shirley Temple? Or is that just a rumor?
    The daydream princess

• Minion

>>If someone knows how to scan View-Master photos, now would be a great time to reproduce the gorgeous shot of Aurora asleep that could be found on the old reels. It's from the original walk-thru and makes a perfect point of contrast with one of the shots Werner posted. I've got two of those View-Master reels right next to me here, but I don't know how to get them online.<<

My scanner is not good enough for slides/tiny shots - and I tried to shoot it from a projected image (which worked fine for outside day shots), but the shot is so dark, with heavy contrast (a beam of light filtering down on Aurora), that I can't seem to get a digital reproduction that isn't blown out.

I hope someone can.

• Minion

>>Weren't some of the dolls a gift from Shirley Temple? Or is that just a rumor?<<

The dolls did not exist in the version of the attraction opened by Shirley Temple - they were added in the 70's redo. One pair was an off-the-rack Barbie and Ken.

• Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    If someone knows how to scan View-Master photos, now would be a great time to reproduce the gorgeous shot of Aurora asleep that could be found on the old reels. It's from the original walk-thru and makes a perfect point of contrast with one of the shots Werner posted. I've got two of those View-Master reels right next to me here, but I don't know how to get them online.
    I can do it and I probably have the reel. Could you tell me exactly which reel it was? I have several versions of the fantasyland reels and each one is a bit different...
    -Tim

• Minion

>>I can do it and I probably have the reel. Could you tell me exactly which reel it was? I have several versions of the fantasyland reels and each one is a bit different...<<

Here is the reel: In this set it is Reel Three, Shot 20 "The Sleeping Beauty Walk Through"

http://www.kipbrockman.com/viewmaste...ge/image6.html

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by FrumiousBoojum View Post
    I can do it and I probably have the reel. Could you tell me exactly which reel it was? I have several versions of the fantasyland reels and each one is a bit different...
    Check your PM's.

One bizarre scene from the original walk-thru was a surrealistic "dance of the spinning wheels," in which a bunch of multi-colored spinning wheels shot and spun around, multiplied through the use of mirrors (like the "roomful" of atoms in ATIS) so that it looked like a gazillion of them. Very weird, and I suspect based on a deleted scene from the movie.

• Minion

Also in this version of the Fantasyland packet, Reel One, shot 2:

http://www.kipbrockman.com/viewmaste...ge/image5.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast