Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 80
  1. #1

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,217

    Angry Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Everyone has heard complaints about the Year of a Million Dreams promotion currently going on at all of the “Disney Parks” worldwide; one of which is that people simply don’t know what it is. However one of the bigger problems with the promotion is how they are altering the parks and attractions just to scrape up a prize to give to their profiled and computer-selected winners.


    Don’t know what I’m talking about?


    Well by now everyone knows that the Disney Gallery is closing on July 31st to make room for a premium suite usable only by a Year of a Million Dreams winner. With Tony Baxter now in charge of the Imagineering side of things at Disneyland, I fail to see how the idea of tearing out the gallery he came up with the idea for got past the drawing board; but that’s beside the point.


    No, there have been other changes to Disneyland due to the Year of a Million Dreams promotion and people haven’t been making a big deal about it either because they don’t care, they’re being paid to say positive things about the promotion, or some combination of the two.


    The Disney Gallery isn’t the first attraction to be lost to the Year of a Million Dreams. The first attraction to be lost is also something that was personal to Walt; The Mark Twain.


    “But I just rode The Mark Twain!” you say? True you can still ride The Mark Twain at Disneyland, however you can no longer access one of the best parts of the attraction. I’m talking about the Wheelhouse. If you didn’t know, you can yell up to the Captain in the Wheelhouse before the river boat departs the dock, and if there is no one up there; you can ride along while steering the ship, ringing the bell, and blowing the horn as the boat makes its way around the Rivers of America. You even get to sign your name into the guest book in the wheelhouse.


    Unfortunately with the Year of a Million Dreams now plaguing the parks, you can no longer ride in the Wheelhouse unless you are one of the lucky profiled and computer-selected winners of the promotion. No longer can you simply call up to the Captain before the boat departs to experience that part of the attraction.
    This may not seem to be a big deal to most people, but removing attractions from regular guests to the park is a very big deal and completely goes against the philosophy under which Disneyland was built back in 1955. Walt built Disneyland so that everyone could enjoy the attractions in the park.


    You didn’t have to be a contest winner to ride on Dumbo or the Teacups in Fantasyland. But in today’s Disneyland you now have to be a contest winner to visit Walt’s Royal Suite in New Orleans Square or ride in the Wheelhouse on The Mark Twain. These aren’t new attractions that were created for this promotion; these are existing attractions that have been taken away from guests just to fill a prize role in a contest.


    Removing attractions from the “normal” guests who visit the park everyday sets a dangerous precedent. With the Year of a Million Dreams being extended to go through 2008, what will they remove next? Will the front row seats on Space Mountain or California Screamin’ become special prizes for contest winners? Will the rumored return of the Sleeping Beauty’s Castle Walkthrough be exclusive for the Year of a Million Dreams? Before you think none of that would be possible, just think that a year ago Disneyland had two additional attractions that anyone could experience, which have now been taken away to be part of a contest.

  2. #2

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    You are wrong. All you have to do to ride in the wheelhouse is ask.

    I agree with you on The Disney Gallery though.

  3. #3

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    You are wrong. All you have to do to ride in the wheelhouse is ask.
    Every single time I've gone to the park since YOMD has started, we've tried and they were only allowing Dream winners up there.

  4. #4

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    4,089

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    It's funny because there has been so much celebration (and justly so) of the demise of the ugly pastel fairy-winged swirly "Where Dreams Come True" ad banners and campaign - - but the "Year of a MILLION Dreams" logo looks just as tacky to me - - it evokes a Game Show title and slogan...

    "I'd buy that for a dollar!"

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Every single time I've gone to the park since YOMD has started, we've tried and they were only allowing Dream winners up there.
    How did the conversation go exactly?

  6. #6

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    110

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    On Sunday we asked to ride in the Lilly Belle, because we saw people getting out, but we couldn't because 2 people were chosen for a "dream" to ride it with just them and the 2 dream team cm's. Later in the afternoon we saw more people getting off, so it was just for THAT ride that we couldn't go. They just got to go alone for one trip around the park.

  7. #7

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland
    Posts
    433

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Hrmmmm every time I work on the Twain I have people up there with me who ask or I pick none of this Dream nonsence

  8. #8

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    How did the conversation go exactly?
    Asked the CMs if you had to be a winner to go up and they said "Yes."

  9. #9

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by Karnever View Post
    Hrmmmm every time I work on the Twain I have people up there with me who ask or I pick none of this Dream nonsence
    Yeah, it's not a dream prize. It's a magical moment or something. They pick people to go up there because not everybody knows about it. If you'd like to ride ask again later.

  10. #10

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    Asked the CMs if you had to be a winner to go up and they said "Yes."
    Maybe it's only during a certain part of the day. There have been many people who have ridden in the wheelhouse because they asked since you made these claims about six months ago. I don't know what to tell you.

  11. #11

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    104

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    I don't see any big deal about who gets to ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain now vs. before the Million dreams promo. Just the selection process is different. There is limited space in the wheelhouse and not everyone who is on the Mark Twain will get to ride in the wheelhouse with the current "Dream" selection process as well as with the previous "yell up to the captain" process.

    This ad campaign is designed to provide extra magic to random guests and it seems that the Disney regulars (many who have probably ridden in the wheelhouse of the Twain several times) are upset because things have changed in "their" park.

    What about the family from Des Moines Iowa who has saved up their money for several years to make their once in a lifetime trip to the Park and don't know about the "yell up to the captain" method of riding in the wheelhouse. This dream selection process makes it possible for those who don't know all of the "Disney secrets" to have the same opportunity.

    It gets old seeing people constantly rip on this promo because it doesn't meet their individual criteria as to how the park should be run. Get over it and enjoy the park or if you can't, then stay away until the next 18 month promo starts.

  12. #12

    • Closed Account
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    1,217

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by mac81962 View Post
    I don't see any big deal about who gets to ride in the wheelhouse of the Mark Twain now vs. before the Million dreams promo. Just the selection process is different. There is limited space in the wheelhouse and not everyone who is on the Mark Twain will get to ride in the wheelhouse with the current "Dream" selection process as well as with the previous "yell up to the captain" process.

    This ad campaign is designed to provide extra magic to random guests and it seems that the Disney regulars (many who have probably ridden in the wheelhouse of the Twain several times) are upset because things have changed in "their" park.

    What about the family from Des Moines Iowa who has saved up their money for several years to make their once in a lifetime trip to the Park and don't know about the "yell up to the captain" method of riding in the wheelhouse. This dream selection process makes it possible for those who don't know all of the "Disney secrets" to have the same opportunity.

    It gets old seeing people constantly rip on this promo because it doesn't meet their individual criteria as to how the park should be run. Get over it and enjoy the park or if you can't, then stay away until the next 18 month promo starts.
    That totally sounds like a Disney PR response.

  13. #13

    • Santa Barbara, CA
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,624

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    The same thing happens everytime i want to shoot hoops in the Matterhorn.
    "As usual he's taken over the coolest spot in the house"- Father re: Orville 1963

    [FONT=Arial Narrow]

  14. #14

    • Suspended
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    104

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    Quote Originally Posted by ManaByte View Post
    That totally sounds like a Disney PR response.
    Yes, I'm sure Disney PR encourages people to stay away from the park....

  15. #15

    • Hiding in the shadows
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Los Angeles, California, United States
    Posts
    2,545

    Re: Year of a Million Dreams is Destroying the Dream

    You defnitely do not have to be a YOAMD winner to ride in the Wheel House, my family and I rode in it on Fathers Day just a couple days after coming out of refurb, all we did was ask nicely. It was total awesome! You can see some of the pics in this trip report:

    http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68134

    I like YOAMD, I dont support closing the gallery, but a chance to win something for nothing is cool (I would be going to DL either way so its really just an extra perk). Plus its great that we dont have to deal with the grafitti anymore!

    A little piece of heaven

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Year Of A Million Dreams - I wish it was this way.
    By Barbaraann in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 12-28-2007, 01:41 PM
  2. Year of a Million Dreams - How many dreams have come true so far?
    By SpokkerJones in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 53
    Last Post: 02-02-2007, 04:14 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
  4. Replies: 56
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 11:11 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-09-2006, 10:10 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •