Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• SkiboDisney

1 Billion Dollars for DCA

I heard that Disney has approved 1 Billion dollars to re-do DCA. This does not include Toy Story Mania or the Wonderful Would of Color show. They have had their budget already approved. Has anyone heard anything on what attractions they are going to ad? I also heard theya re going to close each section of the park down to re-do the section all at one instead of just adding an attraction while keeping the other parts of the section open.

• Banned User

Re: 1 Billion Dollars for DCA

First, where do you think they're getting the money from? A stock sale, of course.

And second, part of the re-do should include a new EP IMHO.

After all, for DCA, it's The Year(s) of a Billion Greens.

• Fighter Pilot

yeah they asked for 1.5, but still 1 billion is good. And no that doesn't included the two you mentioned

•   

How close do you think they actually stick to budget when doing something like this? I know Lasseter got in late on Nemo but look at how much he increased the budget on that ride alone. I think that with a project as big as the redo of DCA and with as long as it will take, the budget will probably go up. Especially as they see how much better it will be compared to now.

• SkiboDisney

I also heard that with what they have planned it should rival DisneySeas in Tokyo or EPCOT Center as one of the best 2nd gate parks. I can't wait to hear more on what they plan to do!!

• Nor-Cal D-Land Fan

I also think the budget will increase throughout the course of the project. It should be easier to justify if the preliminary stages of the "redo" draw in larger crowds.

• He Gets The Job Done

Blog Entries

enough of the talk. let's get started!

• A Pirate's life for me!

WOW!

As I recall the CM's saying during the construction of DTD/DCA, they invested 1.3 billion for that entire project, which included the GCH.

Now 1 billion for (just) a remodel.

No wonder our stocks aren't doing so great....

But if it works, it'll be worth it.

• Minion FOREVER!

Quote Originally Posted by PirateMickey View Post
    WOW!

As I recall the CM's saying during the construction of DTD/DCA, they invested 1.3 billion for that entire project, which included the GCH.
    Yup, the oft quoted figure is $600M for GCH.

• Rock Star Minion

No wonder our stocks aren't doing so great....
    Compared to what?
    You know, if there is something better to invest in, then you should sell your disney stock and purchase the better investment. Otherwise (if, for example, you're holding stock because of the way it feels in your hand), you have no good reason to complain.
    Around Jan 1, 2006, the stock was around the $25 mark. Now it's at $34.50. That's about a 12% annualized return. I wish my portfolio were this not-so-great.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• A Pirate's life for me!

I got it way back before the three way split. I got it for the long-haul.

But I can still complain.

• Rock Star Minion

WOW!

Now 1 billion for (just) a remodel.
    Last I checked, DCA sucked. The design of it sucked. The cheapness of rides and luxury of restaurants and shops sucked.
    It has always needed $1 billion for a remodel.

However, there is probably only one way to make sure that there is a return on this investment, and that is to increase the average revenue per guest amount. The resort needs to start with those who pay the least to enter. Getting $45 or so per guest could generate $200 million per year, about the same as the investment over five years. (I'm assuming some drop in attendance from those who currently find the price attractive but wouldn't at $45.)
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Rock Star Minion

I got it way back before the three way split. I got it for the long-haul.

But I can still complain.
    Before the split it was up around $50 (adjusted to after split dollars on Yahoo!) for a brief period, but before late 1997 it has always been below $30.
    You're still complaining about making money, AND not having to pay taxes on that gain (yet).
    Complain all you like, but I don't know why anyone would listen/read.

Not anyone's fault that you didn't buy more when it was down to $15 or so in mid-2002-ish.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Complain all you like, but I don't know why anyone would listen/read.
    Actually, many analysts would like to see a better dividend... Rather than simply having it go to bloated executive pay... and making an excuse for that 30 some odd cents a share...

But that is only when the stock price flattens out at certain parts of the year...
    Check out my other blog:

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by mouseinphilly View Post
    First, where do you think they're getting the money from? A stock sale, of course.
    Maybe. Company makes $4 billion per year. (Not sure how much of that is cash.) Company has $2 billion in cash. Company has approved a budget of $1 billion spread over five years.
    Not saying it's chump change, but a budget approval of that magnitude usually assumes at least a minimum 10% rate return on investment, otherwise the budget goes toward making three more POTC movies. DIS won't be investing in DCA just for the heck of it.
    Current return on assets is 8%. In order to increase this, the company needs to invest in projects that return more than this. Current return on equity is 15.75%. Selling more stock would dilute this and drop the stock price to reflect it (making investors mad).
    However, for risky investments, selling stock is management's way of lowering its risk. For bigger-return projects, management prefers to borrow.

Also, I'm not sure whether this $1 billion investment implies that some portion of the original DLR expansion (the DCA part) is a write-off.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast