View Poll Results: Why haven't the lines for Finding Nemo ballooned out of control?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Weather

10 11.76%
  • The Passholders

11 12.94%
  • The Attendance

15 17.65%
  • The Guests

6 7.06%
  • The Buzz

12 14.12%
  • The Ride

31 36.47%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • It's knittingknurse now.

Blog Entries

Re: Finding Nemo - What's going on?

I waited in a 3.5 hour line... It's hot outside, it's really hot and then there is the humidity... I know quite a few people that are like "we'll wait it out..."

• Sock Puppet

On fathers day we were waiting out in the heat for an hour,and a lady passed out.I am not comfortable for waiting max 6 hours to have a heat stroke.

Ummm...this may be off topic, but why was BTMRR closed?

Just wondering cause I am going tomorrow...thanks!

• Rock Star Minion

It comes down to simple economics of demand:
    1. Those who were willing to wait 4-6 hours were the same people who absolutely MUST experience this attraction as soon as humanly possible. If enough of these guests are in the park at the same time and wanting that experience, then there will be a 4-6 hour wait. This is how lines form, in basic terms.
    2. Those that are not willing to wait 4-6 hours will not wait in a 4-6-hour line. Because, well, they're not willing.
    3. Seems this attraction is not all that repeatable, meaning that, unlike Indy or Space in their prime, exiting guests are not getting right back in line. Or, it's repeatable but not at the same wait time as the first time through.
    4. Summer time has a lot of repeat guests, either tourists or PAPs. Tourists are going to get on this once during their trip, and repeat the stable of repeatable rides.
    5. The fairly small capacity of this ride assures that there will always be a line.
    6. Standing in line outside (versus inside on much of Space, Indy, Splash, is cutting down on guests' wait time thresholds during the summer.

I'm guessing that docked submarine allows for a better show. Or, maybe someone didn't show up for work.

I'm going to go with some of each of the above.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    The queue is not air conditioned.
    A lot of Space Mountain's queue is outdoors with no air conditioning. Pirates also has a large outdoor queue portion with no air conditioning. As does Indy. And what about Splash Mountain? Haunted Mansion? Autopia?? Big Thunder Mountain? Matterhorn Boblseds?

Most of the attractions on that information board have queues that feature large portions of the queue that are outdoors in the heat.

The lack of air conditioned queue for Nemo matters not. The park is just not drawing the same crowds as it was during the 50th Anniversary.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Destroyer of Mallcore

Quote Originally Posted by DCAFTW View Post
    Ummm...this may be off topic, but why was BTMRR closed?

Just wondering cause I am going tomorrow...thanks!
    It was just temporarily closed, happens all the time in random rides at random times, nothing to worry about.

Now, I'll turn that little mouse's dream into a nightmare Fantasmic!

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    It kind of seems like the confusing Year of a Million Dreams is failing to live up to the popularity of the nostalgia-based and special nature of the 50th Anniversary celebration.
    I just don't buy it. If the folks from Des Moines are saying no thanks to the Year of a Million Dreams promotional material, than why wouldn't they be convinced to come out and see Nemo? To say that the promotional material is failing is to also say that Nemo, which is part of the promotion, is not living up to the hype.

• Minion

Let's also note that Nemo's current 90 minute wait time is a half-hour longer than any other ride in the park (including the dreadfully slow - yet still popular - Splash Mountain).

If people are willing to wait for Godot for 90 minutes in this heat, God bless 'em. I don't.

It must be one popular ride.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I just don't buy it.
    Of course you don't. There's no surprise there.

In all honesty, it seems like a perfectly normal summer to me. I'm sure the Resort is doing just fine... average summer crowds. We're just so used to the 2 summers of record-breaking 50th crowds that the crowds at the Resort now just don't seem right. But the Year of a Million Dreams isn't the 50th, so these "smaller" crowds are probably actually quite normal.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 07-19-2007 at 03:40 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Banned User

I do believe that if the queue were indoors there would be a three hour wait time. Nemo lines have the potential to hit 3-4 hours. Remember that only 20,000 guests have the opportunity to ride per day, leaving a little over half out of luck. The heat does a good job of keeping those who don't want to ride that badly away.

Remember, ALL of Nemo's queue is outdoors. You're going to wait at least 15-20 minutes indoors when it comes to Space, Star Tours, and Indiana Jones. About 10 minutes for Buzz. And 5 minutes for Pirates, Mansion, Splash, etc. All of Roger Rabbit's queue is indoors.

I don't doubt that there are less guests visiting this Summer than during the 50th. It's a combination of many things.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    It's funny But I hated voting on this. Mainly because it is a combo of items, not one clear cut reason.
    I know, but I guess in the nature of polls it's trying to decide one factor that gives that particular factor more credence than others. But I do recognize that there is in some situations a bit of circular logic involved. If the attendance is low, than it could be because the ride hasn't been able to attract guests to come in, despite the other factors such as the heat and the high gas prices.

There was a time long ago that folks would come out for a new Disneyland attraction no matter what. The lines for Indiana Jones were upwards of 4 hours for months after it opened, and that summer Disneyland did amazing business. To say that Finding Nemo, in 2007, cannot draw the same record crowds that Indy did in 1995 seems to suggest that either the problem is with the ride itself, or with a changing society that just doesn't care about Disneyland anymore.

• Banned User

Keep in mind that Indiana Jones was a 100 percent brand new E Ticket experience. The Subs are not new. They just don't have that kind of buzz. It's a makeover.

When Indiana Jones was getting four hour lines nobody in the world had ridden it. People had been riding the Subs for almost 40 years. I'm sure plenty of people have that image in their mind of a dated and horribly maintained experience. Sadly we might see the same thing when the DCA upgrades are complete.

I think the fact that there has not been a brand new E Ticket in 12 years might be resonating with the public. Can you imagine what the 50th would've been like with a new attraction? Nostalgia was the only thing pushing the 50th. Now what's their excuse?

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

I guess once Nemo gets found, there's only so much you can do with a misbehavin' fish.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out. - Bill Hicks

• Minion

MrLiverComplaint, why are you determined to be so negative and destructive in your inferences? Vendetta? Ego?

• Pilot EdForceOne

DL hasn't added enough to drive the attendance.. as much as people here wish it was the 'magical, mythological 50th anniv' it probably was just more that Disney had finally finished breaking out of its dark days.. and those that had been staying away gave the park another chance. Now they've done it.. they're satisfied and go on about their way. No need to keep returning to the park.

Nemo is cute, but its not a high repeat ride. Pirates Lair is a diversion, not a gate buster, and the list goes on. The park does not have the build up of additions it had that peaked two years ago. Now comes the crash after the high.

It's not the marketing either way... its that the park isn't offering anything luring to really bring people in. Everyone I knew in SoCal when I told them I was staying longer on my last trip to go visit DL they were like 'why?'

Back on the topic of Nemo.. it still has a wait longer then any other attraction.. so it can't be doing all that bad.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast