View Poll Results: Why haven't the lines for Finding Nemo ballooned out of control?

Voters
85. You may not vote on this poll
  • The Weather

10 11.76%
  • The Passholders

11 12.94%
  • The Attendance

15 17.65%
  • The Guests

6 7.06%
  • The Buzz

12 14.12%
  • The Ride

31 36.47%
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Special Agent

Finding Nemo - What's going on?

Yesterday I took a stroll through the park in the mid afternoon, and one of the things that I found kind of surprising was the line for Finding Nemo. A lot of folks were absolutely convinced that this ride was going to have 4 to 6 hour waits for the duration of the whole summer, but on July 18th, in the middle of the afternoon, this was the posted wait time:

90 minute wait. Not that bad. When I got over there the mystery was confounded by:

A submarine in the spur dock. They weren't even running at full capacity.

So the question I pose to you MiceChatters is to decide what is going on. Why have the lines for Finding Nemo not reached the record numbers they were expected to hit?

The way I look at it, there could be a number of factors:

1) The Weather. It has been pretty hot, so maybe folks are staying away from the park.

2) The Passholders. Perhaps so much of DL's attendance is made up of Passholders that now that they are all blocked out, there are very few people left in the park.

3) The Attendance. Perhaps attendance is simply lighter this summer than in past summers.

4) The Guests. Maybe the age of 4 hour waits is over, and So Cal audiences are just so spoiled by the Disneyland Experience that no one is willing to wait longer than 90 minutes for a ride they can come back and see anytime?

5) The Buzz. Maybe the buzz for this attraction is over, everyone has seen it once, and it's ridership has already leveled out.

6) The Ride. Maybe the ride is just not all that, and isn't generating enough repeat business.

I think it will be interesting to see what people have to say.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Finding Nemo - What's going on?

I think part of it is the line itself. I know I wouldn't stand in the sun for longer than an hour. I'm not sure, but I wonder if the line is longer at night.

However, from your picture, the wait times all around seem pretty short. 35 minutes for Peter Pan? That's a slow day.
    A signature should go here.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    3) The Attendance. Perhaps attendance is simply lighter this summer than in past summers.
    I was talking to a friend who works NOS/CC attractions. She said that its been hard to get extra shifts this summer because they're already overstaffed as it is... Apparently they've been staffing people assuming they'd be getting the crowds they were getting during the past couple summers. But crowds have just not materialized...

And it shows... Not only is Nemo failing to have a 3 hour wait, but last summer Space was constantly boasting 70-90 minute wait times. During peak seasons I normally notice 60+ minutes at Autopia. And Indy at only 40 minutes? That's unheard of during peak summer season.

It kind of seems like the confusing Year of a Million Dreams is failing to live up to the popularity of the nostalgia-based and special nature of the 50th Anniversary celebration.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• time to go

I believe it's a combination of all factors you've listed. But mostly, the AP factor.

The ride has been operational for over a month, giving most APs enough time to ride at least once. And from what my friends have told me who've ridden, it's good, but not good enough to tolerate an outdoor queue in the mid-day heat for more than an hour or so.

• Fighter Pilot

just wait till the holidays

• Minion

7) Maybe they are more efficient at processing guests through the attraction than you figured, MrLiver.

Play the Glad Game, anyone can do it.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

To my knowledge, the line only reached maybe 4 hours or a little over that within the first week or two of opening.

I went on the attraction first thing in the morning the second day it was officially open, and I believe I waited less than 2 hours.

I had the privilege a few days prior to that to preview the subs with a higher-powered CM over from Orlando, and he told me that the wait time would probably go up to about 3 hours.

Seriously? Many members on this board, awaiting the opening, skewed things out of proportion with guesstimates as to the wait times.

I have seen many guests looking at the FNSV line and saying that they just don't want to wait that long. The line actually moves very fast...the CMs are pretty good at loading. I think they were prepared for the worst, so they're very prepared.

I'm also fairly sure that several APs and the like were a good percentage of those that flooded the line initially. Now they just don't bother to check to see what the line is like, or they don't feel like waiting.

The line also empties out during the parade...prime time to jump in line.

• Sock Puppet

Well It has been extremely hot and most people I have talked to said they would stay away from the park.If they had expected a 4-6 hour wait,why would people want to go if its 95 degrees out?

More and more people are cancelling trips because of the hot and rainy weather.

Yes there are MANY passholders.I know more then 10 myself.

Because of the maintanence of the rides and how so many rides are down,some figure to go when they could ride all the good rides.

If you figure all of these would only be Some of the reasons.

It could maybe be the extremely long estimate times.4-6 hours for a submarine?

Maybe its just the decrease in maintanece,waits,and even weather.As you said maybe its because they can go back and see the rides anytime they please and not have to wait 4 hours to get there.

This Is my oppinion and ill edit and post some more later.

• Minion

I'm actually glad to hear this, because I very much want to ride again, but have been putting it off, thinking it too crowded with hours long waits. Now I know I should pop down there soon before the AP blockouts are done.

When is that?

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

It's funny But I hated voting on this. Mainly because it is a combo of items, not one clear cut reason.

I vote attendance only because since the opening I have noticed all of the other rides having much shorter wait times then last year. My thinking was if 30,000 are in the park and 3000 are in line for the subs, that's 10% of the people no longer in other areas.

Either way it is a pleasent surprise. 90 minutes won't scare me away, I enjoyed the ride. And if I don't want to wait, now the other lines are shorter so it's a win/win for me and my family.

Chad

• WDW Fant! Premiere Cast

Perhaps some people, like me, just have no interest in going on the subs.

• Fighter Pilot

I wouldn't say no intrest, more like, once is enough, like me

• Banned User

The queue is not air conditioned.

• Minion

And in general, most of the non-AP, local Californians I know don't go in mid-tourist season, but wait for the off-season deals and the perception of lighter crowds.

In fact, a teacher friend was only recently lamenting that it was just too expensive to take the whole family at current prices, though the kids are dying to see Nemo now (they are too young to remember the old version of subs). He said they would have to wait until fall or Christmastime. They can only afford once a year.

And gasoline is still over $3 a gallon in much of California, so who knows how that's impacting the travel biz. The freeways and Hollywood don't seem as heavy with tourists either.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-19-2007 at 03:22 PM.

• Sock Puppet

Me and my causin\ have talked aboout ging to WDW to ride the Voyage.

The thing is,it looks like you pay all that money to go and look at nemo characters.

I would like some feedback on the ride before I go but I dont think passing out in the hot weather is worth it.

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast