Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

•   
    • Super Hero

I Did the DCA Segway Tour!

I just got back from a little Dland trip. I met two friends to take the Segway tour of DCA. YoYoFlamingo COULD have gone with me, but opted for Dland tour instead. YYF, here's what you missed!

We were to meet at the "C" at 7 am:

(Not many folks around at 7 am!)

Friend Brian was already there:

Friend Ron showed up later and I forgot to take a pic.

Our tour guides took us to a VIP room where we munched on muffins and fruit and tried to wake up with coffee. We watched a movie about Segways and were told we couldn't take pics, since the park wasn't open yet and there was lots of maintenance magic happening.

We ended up being the ONLY people on the tour! So the five of us went outside where we were introduced to our trusty steeds. We spent a few minutes going over how to get on and off the Segways (Segways seek balance due to their internal gyroscopes and they will seek that balance whether you are balanced or not, so you need to take care in getting on and off of them). We practiced going forward and back and through a little obstacle course with cones. You lean forward and backward to move forward and backward! hee hee. To turn, you bend your knees and carve the turn the way you would if you were skiing. To stop, you stick out your rear end!

The tour guides kept asking us if we had ever been on Segways before, because they couldn't believe we were doing so well. They did say at least one person manages to fall off the Segway during every tour. Brian promptly said he would follow me, since he was sure I would be the one to take a digger. We finished the one hour of Segway training in 15 minutes, so they turned us loose in the park!

Wow, what fun! They had our Segways on 'turtle', which is the slowest (max speed of 6 mph), but it was still a blast! The Segway is very responsive to your body movements and we were all slalom-ing down the wide pathways. We zipped through Condor Flats and got to go through the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail.

They told us we could go anywhere in the Paradise Pier area, so I had great fun going through the Sun Wheel queue line. I was zipping around the Screamin' Fast Pass area and was looking down to make sure my wide Segway wheels were going to make it around the queue rail poles, when I saw I was going to clip one of the poles. Did I mention the Segway can climb obstacles? In fact, it LIKES to climb obstacles. When it comes to an obstacle, it stops and begins to climb. Did I mention I was going 6 mph on the Segway? The wheel clipped the pole, the Segway stopped, and I didn't. Now, I've done this experiment before, where it's momentum versus gravity. It's always the same, momentum takes the early lead, but then gravity wins by a decisive margin. Yes, indeed. I went FLYING off the Segway and landed in a heap a good six feet in front of it. Fortunately, nothing snapped or cracked. I got up and the front of my shirt was wet! Everyone was asking if I was okay and I was standing there asking, "How the heck did I get wet?" I looked down and saw one of the holes in the ground for the poles was plugged and had water in it. The hole is about the size of a fifty-cent piece and was the only water for MILES. I managed to land in it!!

They took our picture right after that (my shirt even has water spots on it!). They gave us the pic, but I'm too lazy to scan it, so I just did a screen print off of the Disney pic website:

Geeks having nerdy fun!!!

The next morning, I found I had a lovely souvenir of my little spill. Two huge bruises on my hip!!!:

Proof positive I had a GREAT time! (No, it doesn't hurt at all. It looks wicked nasty, but doesn't hurt in the least.)
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Re: I Did the DCA Segway Tour!

Sounds very cool. I want to try this in the worst way and soon (before it's gone).

Yet part of me says "Oh no ... ADULT STROLLERS" and all that entails.
    Still it looks too fun. Thanks for sharing.

ummm Nice bruise
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Is there a weight requirement? There used to be for Segways. Being 6'4" around 245 I am officially of the moose species.

Thanks in advance and glad you have a great time minus the bruise.

Chad

•   
    • Super Hero

The requirements are you must be at least 16 years old and weigh between 100 and 250 pounds, so you can do it, aashee! They didn't make us weigh in.

My friend Brian said I should eat an extra muffin in case they DID make us get on a scale!

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    The requirements are you must be at least 16 years old and weigh between 100 and 250 pounds, so you can do it, aashee! They didn't make us weigh in.

My friend Brian said I should eat an extra muffin in case they DID make us get on a scale!
    LOL.

You are of the pettite variety. Sounds like fun. Thanks for the quick response!

Chad

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

That bruise tells me that the Segway Tours are only one legal suit away from non-existence
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

DCA is back to Xtreme locomotion!

We need to have some more bruises and maybe even a few stitches to make this a must-do experience.

What's up with "turtle" speed? Forget "rabbit". Can't they at least go "sloth" or even "woodchuck" speed?
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• For You!

Looked like lots of fun! Minus the bruising.

Will trade husband for Disneyland and DCA Pins!

• This is my car, Stitch :)

Rancho Cucamonga, California, United States

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    That bruise tells me that the Segway Tours are only one legal suit away from non-existence
    Don't they have to sign a release form before going on there? I know I had to when I tried the ones in Innoventions. But WW, that tour looks like a lot of fun! Would be great to do that!

• Happiest Girl On Earth

Awww, I rode a Segway for 10 seconds at Innoventions in WDW (I was too young while we had them at the DLR, even though they didn't check ID...) and it was pretty much the most amazing ten seconds of my summer last year. I had considered going on the Segway tour of Epcot, but clearly it sounds like it's worth it here! Thanks for the report!

There I was somewhere West of Tomorrowland
    Flying through the stars just like
    Peter Pan
    I said...Dang this looks too good to be true...

It's a nice day when you wake up in
    Disneyland...
    -Five For Fighting, "Disneyland"

heehee,looks like fun!

• MiceChat Administrator
    • Following The Optimist

This is sounding less like a tour, and more like a "ride a governed Segway all throughout DCA" type experience.

Sounds like something fun for a Mini-MiceChat meet.
    -Monorail Man

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Mickey and 'Key

Blog Entries

Wow, maybe it's a good idea YYF didn't do it!
    Glad you weren't hurt worse and had a good time anyway!
    Good morning, son
    In twenty years from now
    Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
    And I can tell you 'bout today
    And how I picked you up and everything changed
    It was pain
    Sunny days and rain
    I knew you'd feel the same things...

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    This is sounding less like a tour, and more like a "ride a governed Segway all throughout DCA" type experience.
    Well, yes, but that's what made it FUN!

Quote Originally Posted by Monorail Man View Post
    Sounds like something fun for a Mini-MiceChat meet.
    There's a limit of 10 people on the tour.

And yes, you do sign a waiver while you're being plied with muffins, coffee, and juice!

•   
    • At one w/ our Disneyness

How much was the tour? Do they run daily? WOW that sounds like a total blast -- had no idea. ;-)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast