Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mary Blair

• FastPass n00b

Re: Mary Blair

Wow, how amazing is it to see Walt interacting with Mary Blair. That is a creative force that comes along once only in a few generations. I too hope that they either bring back the tile murals (Tom Fitzgerald's specialty, ironically) or give her a window on Main Street...or even better do both. She had such a huge impact on Disney in the 1950's that it's difficult to say where Disney would be today without Mary Blair. I'm no fan of art, I get bored out of my skull if I hear the mere mention of it, but Mary Blair's stuff was GOOD. Her work appealed to everyone, not just the art experts, and was the epitome of the optimism and hope of tomorrow that Tomorrowland was supposed to represent.

With the return of the PeopleMover, people will be getting their first up-close and slow look at the murals again. The last thing they need is to see a bunch of flying Space Mountains at eye level for 30 seconds. It works fine when you're 15 feet below it or whizzing by it at 40 MPH, but it's just not going to cut it with PeopleMover 2. Where's Tom Fitzgerald when you need him. :/
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 07-20-2007 at 06:50 PM.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    I'll second that
    I'll third it!

Gasp! They should be recovered, even if they no longer live there. They need to be removed, restored and perhaps placed in the Disney Hotel as part of the renaming and renovations.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I'll third it!

Gasp! They should be recovered, even if they no longer live there. They need to be removed, restored and perhaps placed in the Disney Hotel as part of the renaming and renovations.

While I personally would much prefer they be returned to their former glory in their original TL locations I'd be happy if they could display them anywhere in the resort.

merlinjones...would Mary's murals count as midcentury modern or are they too "late" for that? (thinking back to your midcentury modern DLH refurb thread).
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Minion

i would count them as midcentury modern but you didnt ask me lol

remember midecentury modern might be the next theme of tomorrowland, since its one style that still represents style and modernism, and it would fit tomorrowland perfect, with some updated retro incredipods, imagine how cool tomorrowland will look, and then mary blairs tiles glistening in the sun.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i would count them as midcentury modern but you didnt ask me lol
    I'll gladly accept your opinion. I just was thinking of merlins killer Disneyland Hotel should be midcentury modern thread and whether/how the murals would fit into that refurb idea.

The murals kind of seem midcentury modern to me ... but they also seem timeless in a way. I've always kind of considered Mary to be in a class all by herself that defies easy description or even an easy label outside of simply "Mary Blair". It's what I like most about her work, that and her choice of colors and materials.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    I'll gladly accept your opinion. I just was thinking of merlins killer Disneyland Hotel should be midcentury modern thread and whether/how the murals would fit into that refurb idea.

The murals kind of seem midcentury modern to me ... but they also seem timeless in a way. I've always kind of considered Mary to be in a class all by herself that defies easy description or even an easy label outside of simply "Mary Blair". It's what I like most about her work, that and her choice of colors and materials.
    Blair certainly had a style to her own, but I'm sure she'd count as a mid-cent. modern artist. Although her work is a notch above, she is also bordering on 50/60's kitsch. I wouldn't call her work timeless, it's VERY rooted in that period (IMO).

All this pigeon-holing aside, her work is IMPORTANT, it needs to be recovered and given the respect it deserves.

That photo of the holes punched in the tiles makes me queasy, then angry, then concerned.
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Minion

it is very rooted in the time period thats why so many people think IASW is outdated and junky when its actually amazing to people like me.

• Me and Tommy Kirk

I love Mary Blair. She was so creative, and her concept art dates back as far as Song of the South. (Maybe before that?) She deserves much more credit than she's received. I would LOVE to see the mural restored as well. I don't know that it would fit into the tomorrowland theme (although it did for the 1967 tomorrowland) however, right below is a "Toy Story" themed attraction, so I don't think it would be out of the question. As I recall the mural was themed around "The children of tomorrow".

Thanks for the great thread idea!

• Squaw NO gettum firewood!

That's the same hat plaids still wear, btw. It just doesn't sit so high on the giant hair anymore.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney

Blog Entries

it is very rooted in the time period thats why so many people think IASW is outdated and junky when its actually amazing to people like me.
    And just what kind of people is that?

Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    I love Mary Blair. She was so creative, and her concept art dates back as far as Song of the South. (Maybe before that?) She deserves much more credit than she's received. I would LOVE to see the mural restored as well. I don't know that it would fit into the tomorrowland theme (although it did for the 1967 tomorrowland) however, right below is a "Toy Story" themed attraction, so I don't think it would be out of the question. As I recall the mural was themed around "The children of tomorrow".
    The theme was children of the World, Tomorrow and Worldwide communication. There were ribbons above the children that represented Worldwide communication and representations of communications satellites above that.

They are something that I wish I could see for real.

I'm starting the "People's Liberation Front for the Recovery, Restoration and
    Revelation of the Mary Blair Tomorrowland Murals!"... manjana ....

• Minion

i worded it wrong! its not supposed to be rude lol
    just people who like marys art is what i mean haha

Blog Entries

i worded it wrong! its not supposed to be rude lol
    just people who like marys art is what i mean haha
    Still doesn't answer the question

She seemed to like bright colours on black a lot...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12