Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27

Thread: Mary Blair

  1. #16

    • FastPass n00b
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    1,846

    Re: Mary Blair

    Wow, how amazing is it to see Walt interacting with Mary Blair. That is a creative force that comes along once only in a few generations. I too hope that they either bring back the tile murals (Tom Fitzgerald's specialty, ironically) or give her a window on Main Street...or even better do both. She had such a huge impact on Disney in the 1950's that it's difficult to say where Disney would be today without Mary Blair. I'm no fan of art, I get bored out of my skull if I hear the mere mention of it, but Mary Blair's stuff was GOOD. Her work appealed to everyone, not just the art experts, and was the epitome of the optimism and hope of tomorrow that Tomorrowland was supposed to represent.

    With the return of the PeopleMover, people will be getting their first up-close and slow look at the murals again. The last thing they need is to see a bunch of flying Space Mountains at eye level for 30 seconds. It works fine when you're 15 feet below it or whizzing by it at 40 MPH, but it's just not going to cut it with PeopleMover 2. Where's Tom Fitzgerald when you need him. :/
    Last edited by Athlonacon; 07-20-2007 at 06:50 PM.

  2. #17

    • Not like Crocodile Dundee
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Posts
    1,345
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mary Blair

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    I'll second that
    I'll third it!

    Gasp! They should be recovered, even if they no longer live there. They need to be removed, restored and perhaps placed in the Disney Hotel as part of the renaming and renovations.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

  3. #18

    • Zero Blockout Dates
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    on the ocean within 20 minutes of DLR
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: Mary Blair

    Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I'll third it!

    Gasp! They should be recovered, even if they no longer live there. They need to be removed, restored and perhaps placed in the Disney Hotel as part of the renaming and renovations.

    While I personally would much prefer they be returned to their former glory in their original TL locations I'd be happy if they could display them anywhere in the resort.

    merlinjones...would Mary's murals count as midcentury modern or are they too "late" for that? (thinking back to your midcentury modern DLH refurb thread).
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM


  4. #19

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Mary Blair

    i would count them as midcentury modern but you didnt ask me lol

    remember midecentury modern might be the next theme of tomorrowland, since its one style that still represents style and modernism, and it would fit tomorrowland perfect, with some updated retro incredipods, imagine how cool tomorrowland will look, and then mary blairs tiles glistening in the sun.


  5. #20

    • Zero Blockout Dates
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    on the ocean within 20 minutes of DLR
    Posts
    1,569

    Re: Mary Blair

    Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i would count them as midcentury modern but you didnt ask me lol
    I'll gladly accept your opinion. I just was thinking of merlins killer Disneyland Hotel should be midcentury modern thread and whether/how the murals would fit into that refurb idea.

    The murals kind of seem midcentury modern to me ... but they also seem timeless in a way. I've always kind of considered Mary to be in a class all by herself that defies easy description or even an easy label outside of simply "Mary Blair". It's what I like most about her work, that and her choice of colors and materials.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM


  6. #21

    • Not like Crocodile Dundee
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Posts
    1,345
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mary Blair

    Quote Originally Posted by Uzmati View Post
    I'll gladly accept your opinion. I just was thinking of merlins killer Disneyland Hotel should be midcentury modern thread and whether/how the murals would fit into that refurb idea.

    The murals kind of seem midcentury modern to me ... but they also seem timeless in a way. I've always kind of considered Mary to be in a class all by herself that defies easy description or even an easy label outside of simply "Mary Blair". It's what I like most about her work, that and her choice of colors and materials.
    Blair certainly had a style to her own, but I'm sure she'd count as a mid-cent. modern artist. Although her work is a notch above, she is also bordering on 50/60's kitsch. I wouldn't call her work timeless, it's VERY rooted in that period (IMO).

    All this pigeon-holing aside, her work is IMPORTANT, it needs to be recovered and given the respect it deserves.


    That photo of the holes punched in the tiles makes me queasy, then angry, then concerned.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

  7. #22

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Mary Blair

    it is very rooted in the time period thats why so many people think IASW is outdated and junky when its actually amazing to people like me.

  8. #23

    • Me and Tommy Kirk
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Chula-juana, CA
    Posts
    1,733

    Re: Mary Blair

    I love Mary Blair. She was so creative, and her concept art dates back as far as Song of the South. (Maybe before that?) She deserves much more credit than she's received. I would LOVE to see the mural restored as well. I don't know that it would fit into the tomorrowland theme (although it did for the 1967 tomorrowland) however, right below is a "Toy Story" themed attraction, so I don't think it would be out of the question. As I recall the mural was themed around "The children of tomorrow".

    Thanks for the great thread idea!

  9. #24

    • Squaw NO gettum firewood!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    1,069

    Re: Mary Blair

    That's the same hat plaids still wear, btw. It just doesn't sit so high on the giant hair anymore.
    "Remember 'Old Yeller'? We shot the dog." - Roy E. Disney


  10. #25

    • Not like Crocodile Dundee
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Posts
    1,345
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mary Blair

    Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    it is very rooted in the time period thats why so many people think IASW is outdated and junky when its actually amazing to people like me.
    And just what kind of people is that?

    Quote Originally Posted by Neverlandtink View Post
    I love Mary Blair. She was so creative, and her concept art dates back as far as Song of the South. (Maybe before that?) She deserves much more credit than she's received. I would LOVE to see the mural restored as well. I don't know that it would fit into the tomorrowland theme (although it did for the 1967 tomorrowland) however, right below is a "Toy Story" themed attraction, so I don't think it would be out of the question. As I recall the mural was themed around "The children of tomorrow".
    The theme was children of the World, Tomorrow and Worldwide communication. There were ribbons above the children that represented Worldwide communication and representations of communications satellites above that.

    They are something that I wish I could see for real.

    I'm starting the "People's Liberation Front for the Recovery, Restoration and
    Revelation of the Mary Blair Tomorrowland Murals!"... manjana ....
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

  11. #26

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Mary Blair

    i worded it wrong! its not supposed to be rude lol
    just people who like marys art is what i mean haha

  12. #27

    • Not like Crocodile Dundee
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Posts
    1,345
    Blog Entries
    2

    Re: Mary Blair

    Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i worded it wrong! its not supposed to be rude lol
    just people who like marys art is what i mean haha
    Still doesn't answer the question

    She seemed to like bright colours on black a lot...
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. [News] Mary Blair at TDL
    By TDLFAN in forum Tokyo Disney Resort
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-11-2009, 11:15 PM
  2. The Desecration of Mary Blair
    By DizneeProfitEar in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-21-2008, 11:37 AM
  3. 10/4: Design by Mary Blair
    By Al Lutz in forum MiceAge Discussions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-19-2007, 04:35 PM
  4. Mary Blair artwork
    By 4EverDisney in forum MiceChat Main Lounge
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 07-02-2006, 01:29 AM
  5. Mary Blair Murals in TL
    By Eddie from the 80s in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 97
    Last Post: 02-28-2005, 07:59 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •