Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mary Blair

• Zero Blockout Dates

Mary Blair

SO I was goofing around on the youtube and plugged in Mary Blair and got some fun hits I thought some of you might enjoy ... so here they are.

Anyone know how we might be able to get Mary (and Alice Davis too) her window on Main Street?

Little Train (really very cool)

Murals

Mary Blair Artwork

Walt talks about IASM With Mary Blair
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• is too darn hot.

Re: Mary Blair

The hats the female plaids used to wear are ridiculous.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    The hats the female plaids used to wear are ridiculous.
    They're supposed to look like riding hats. Riding hats, crops, plaid skirts, red knee socks, they were quite the male fantasy! (Well, for SOME males!)
    Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab
    I still can't figure out where that strap goes.

• I love my family!

Speaking of Mary Blair, is there anyway that the Murals could be restored.

The other day I noticed the new murals are begining to show some wear and tear and it got me thinkng.

• Beer is good beer.

Thumbs up Re: Mary Blair

I love Mary Blair's work. There is a tribute to her in the It's a Small World attraction: look about halfway up on the Eiffel Tower and there is a little Mary Blair doll holding a balloon.

I would love to see her get a window on Main Street.
    M A S E C A !

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by Berd View Post
    I love Mary Blair's work. There is a tribute to her in the It's a Small World attraction: look about halfway up on the Eiffel Tower and there is a little Mary Blair doll holding a balloon.

I would love to see her get a window on Main Street.

LOL. Now I have to ride IASW to see the MB tribute.

I love her colorful and vibrant works. For me she is simply one of the most important Disney Legends. I miss her murals in TL a lot and think what's there now is pathetic in comparison. Fantastic tile murals replaced by vinyl poster art. It reeks of the Eisner era. And its just sad.

Oh well I always have that fantastic facade on IASW to make me smile.
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    Speaking of Mary Blair, is there anyway that the Murals could be restored.

The other day I noticed the new murals are begining to show some wear and tear and it got me thinkng.
    I've been wondering the same for ages now. Are they still under the new covering murals? Or were they taken away? I'm hoping that they weren't destroyed Hang on, were they just apinted onto the tiles or were they ceramically baked into the tiles? Cos if they were just painted the 1986 & 1998 new murals would have just been painted ontop.

Somewhat answering my own question but still uncertain:

From Yesterland
    Will we ever see the Mary Blair Tomorrowland murals again? Were the murals destroyed? Or are they still intact under the current murals?
    In The Art and Flair of Mary Blair, John Canemaker wrote,
    The Tomorrowland murals were not truly permanent: both “disappeared” when they were covered over by renovations in 1987 and 1998. “Mary Blair’s murals were not damaged or painted on,” [longtime Imagineering executive] Marty Sklar notes, “but the decision was made for cost reasons to leave them in place—hidden treasures at Disneyland!”
    Other accounts are less optimistic. At least one person owns a chunk of the south mural. And if cost was such an issue, how much care was taken to protect the Mary Blair murals when subsequent murals were installed?
    Maybe the time will come when the current murals are considered dated. Maybe then, Disneyland will bring back the art of a great artist—even it requires reproducing some damaged tiles.
    Last edited by monotonehell; 07-20-2007 at 07:24 AM.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Minion

maybe one of the people who put up the ugly new "mural" found a loose piece of tile and he took it.

They might come back in the 2009 renovation!! Depends on what theme their going to do for the new tomorrowland.

• Hooterville, USA

I think of her everytime I ride IASW.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    "Riding hats, crops, plaid skirts, red knee socks, they were quite the male fantasy! (Well, for SOME males!)"
    Sick, twisted, heads stuck in PUSH the Automated Trash Can...

• I love my family!

From the looks of them, the new murals are just covers like then new style billboards but, the one from 98 I believe was permanent so I don't know whats left of the Blair murals.

I would like to see them again but, I'm not sure if they even fit in TL anymore.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    I've been wondering the same for ages now. Are they still under the new covering murals? Or were they taken away? I'm hoping that they weren't destroyed Hang on, were they just apinted onto the tiles or were they ceramically baked into the tiles? Cos if they were just painted the 1986 & 1998 new murals would have just been painted ontop.

Somewhat answering my own question but still uncertain:

From Yesterland
    Will we ever see the Mary Blair Tomorrowland murals again? Were the murals destroyed? Or are they still intact under the current murals?
    In The Art and Flair of Mary Blair, John Canemaker wrote,
    The Tomorrowland murals were not truly permanent: both “disappeared” when they were covered over by renovations in 1987 and 1998. “Mary Blair’s murals were not damaged or painted on,” [longtime Imagineering executive] Marty Sklar notes, “but the decision was made for cost reasons to leave them in place—hidden treasures at Disneyland!”
    Other accounts are less optimistic. At least one person owns a chunk of the south mural. And if cost was such an issue, how much care was taken to protect the Mary Blair murals when subsequent murals were installed?
    Maybe the time will come when the current murals are considered dated. Maybe then, Disneyland will bring back the art of a great artist—even it requires reproducing some damaged tiles.

The tiles were ceramic (see link in OP titled "Murals") and the ones from the Star Tours side were used to make counters for a pizzeria in Disneyland Paris

As a sentimental touch to Disney history, they used broken tiles of a mural, that Disney artist Mary Blair (whose work is also visible at Disneyland Paris just a few meters away from Pizzeria Bella Notte at it's a small world) had created for Disneyland's Tomorrowland. Those broken tiles are now part of the wales of this very special counter-service restaurant.

Source: www.DLP.info

Sad, sad, sad
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Minion

so there gone?!?

REMAKE THEM

• Minion

Here's the deal with the Mary Blair murals:

The Star Tours/ATIS side (as seen in that photo) had a new facade built over it. They carelessly knocked holes to drive spikes through the mural and cut new doors in it and the tile chunks from those large destroyed sections ended up as described. But much of it is still under there (see pic).

But the Buzz Lightyear/CircleVision side was preserved under a overhanging canopy that didn't bust the majority of mural tiles. It's still under there.

I believe they should be restored. This is genuine handcrafted Walt Disney art by one of the best.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-20-2007 at 02:47 PM.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones View Post

I believe they should be restored. This is genuine handcrafted Walt Disney art by one of the best.

I'll second that
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast