Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Big Red Car

• "I Break Things"

The Big Red Car

Bear with me because I haven't been to DCA in a long time, and usually I regarded San Fran as the walk-through alley on the way to the "lands". I vaguely remember there being a mockup of the Orange Zephyr (Big Silver Train with a glass roof that was in service in CA) that was a Bakery? I think.

I was wondering why Disney never went with a Trolley on the other side. The perfect compliment. I think they did something with a train toy store but again can't remember because "I never really cared". Not part of a Trolley, a whole Trolley car, with a station. The whole thing could be themed as a diner. Yes I concede "It's been done before". Plenty of people will point out McD's in Barstow and countless other places with railroad diners... but how perfect would that theme be? The Trolley MADE southern CA, countless threads have stated this case but I offer one more "proof"; Huntington Beach, name says it all just look up the history.

So for those who fight for San Fran, one of the only places that still has Trolleys, please fight for the Trolley too!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• I love my family!

Re: The Big Red Car

The Train is whats left of the original Mission style Train Station entrance planned for DCA.

The Train station was the enrty way into California.

• I love this place!

Inside the Baker's Field Bakery and the adjoining Bur-rr Bank Ice Cream are several railroad themed displays that (sadly) are some of the best and most detailed themeing in all of DCA. Lots of California Zephyr ephemera to look at.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    The Train is whats left of the original Mission style Train Station entrance planned for DCA. The Train station was the enrty way into California.
    Do tell more... never really got into the whole Behind DCA Planning bit but this sounds interesting.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The Trolley MADE southern CA, countless threads have stated this case but I offer one more "proof"; Huntington Beach, name says it all just look up the history.
    You've read your history!

I wonder how many people today realize that at one time, Southern California had a trolley system that eclipsed the freeway system in terms of miles? Or that virtually the entire layout of the surrounding communities can be traced to the Red Car. Or that Los Angeles had an operating subway in 1924, decades before the Red Line.

It is a wonder that the Red Car was not more represented in DCA.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    You've read your history!

I wonder how many people today realize that at one time, Southern California had a trolley system that eclipsed the freeway system in terms of miles? Or that virtually the entire layout of the surrounding communities can be traced to the Red Car. Or that Los Angeles had an operating subway in 1924, decades before the Red Line.

It is a wonder that the Red Car was not more represented in DCA.
    Slightly off topic and I haven't completely researched the Subway but I believe part of that was a geologic nightmare because New York sits on pretty solid rock and our soil is a great deal looser, construction did not expect that. I could be wrong. I was also wondering if any of the old stations are still buried under LA... and if they would be accessible by Urban Explorers?

As to the "Big Red Car" as it was fondly called, it's track layouts and routes were copied by Big Auto/Oil when they implemented the Bus routes.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Slightly off topic and I haven't completely researched the Subway but I believe part of that was a geologic nightmare because New York sits on pretty solid rock and our soil is a great deal looser, construction did not expect that. I could be wrong. I was also wondering if any of the old stations are still buried under LA... and if they would be accessible by Urban Explorers?

As to the "Big Red Car" as it was fondly called, it's track layouts and routes were copied by Big Auto/Oil when they implemented the Bus routes.

The "Subway" was really just a 1 mile tunnel that the Red Cars would travel from near downtown to Hollywood so there really isn't anything to find.

The tunnel entrance was used in V as the Underground's basecamp and it was also the entrance to ToonTown in RR.

The entrance is located just north/west of downtown in a field.

And I'll get more info on that DCA entrance for you also, I have dig some stuff out.

• Closed Account

The subway was entirely successful, and lasted 25 years.

The definitive history of the Big Red Cars is titled, appropriately, "Ride the Big Red Cars" by Spencer Cump. It's a great read, and really helps one understand Los Angeles history better. It's loaded with photos. His "Henry Huntington and the Pacific Electric" is also good, but shorter. Same goes for "Southern California and the Pacific Electric" by Danny Howard, if you can find it, or "Red Car Days" by Raphael Long.

• Disgruntled Former CM

Wink Re: The Big Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdshiftCM View Post
    The tunnel entrance was used in V as the Underground's basecamp and it was also the entrance to ToonTown in RR.

The entrance is located just north/west of downtown in a field.

And I'll get more info on that DCA entrance for you also, I have dig some stuff out.
    Actually, the tunnel entrance to Toon Town in Roger Rabbit is the tunnel up in Griffith Park very near to the Observatory; it was shot up there at night, and the area around the entrance was dressed with greens...

• "I Break Things"

This is a museum in Seal Beach that is actually inside an original Big Red Car I posted the link as well as photos I took. I used to surf Seal all the time, now I love to take the wife and kids down there. Amazing... my GRANDFATHER and GREAT GRANDFATHER rode and worked on these amazing machines!

There is also a replica line running in San Pedro which someone was nice enough to photograph on another post!

Amazing that some of these are still around. I am not sure how old the ones in San Fran are, someone could easily find out if they wanted to. I just find it ironic that one of the things that allowed California to develop and become the state that it is... is completely neglected in a park portraying California! Barstow, among many other places, has renovated train cars and stations themed into restaurants, shops, diners... in the case of Barstow a McDonalds. If McD's can do it... why not Disney?

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Good thread, Skip. I would've loved to have seen a nod (if not an outright display) to the Angel's Flight funicular railway, 'the shortest railway in the world' in Los Angeles at the turn-of-the-century. The refurbished (in 1995, I believe) 'Angel's Flight' cars are still in storage as far as I have heard, after a brief operational period in the late 90's.

• Closed Account

Swab, that shot shows the real gritty underside of the City opf Angels, as vividly portrayed by Raymond Chandler's Phillip Marlowe. 1930s noir doesn't really get any better than that (and, I've always thought would be a great "theme" for Disney to develop).

30 or so years before that pictures was taken, Bunker Hill was festooned with expensive and lavish Victorian mansions--an altogether different feel from the '30s, when those mansions became seedy boarding houses.

• Fairies and Mermaids!

Question: Is this the same "Red Car" that is mentioned in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" that Judge Doom buys out in order to build his freeway? Sorry, NorCal kid.

Remember, Dreams come true!... and mermaids are hot, even on Halloween.

• Closed Account

It is.

The Red Cars were LA landmarks, and folks from the era were very attached to them, and sentimental about their demise. The Roger Rabit story is very loosely based on the urban myth/conspiracy theory that Ford, Goodyear Tire and some bus companies got together and tried to get rid of the Red Car in favor of automobiles.

(Said conspiracy theorists fail to realize that the Pacific Electric--The company name of the Red Cars--had been converting to bus service on their own long before any alleged conspiracy by outside interests took place).

• Circle of Ancients

Blog Entries

Post Re: The Big Red Car

Quote Originally Posted by Steve DeGaetano View Post
    The subway was entirely successful, and lasted 25 years.

The definitive history of the Big Red Cars is titled, appropriately, "Ride the Big Red Cars" by Spencer Cump. It's a great read, and really helps one understand Los Angeles history better. It's loaded with photos. His "Henry Huntington and the Pacific Electric" is also good, but shorter. Same goes for "Southern California and the Pacific Electric" by Danny Howard, if you can find it, or "Red Car Days" by Raphael Long.
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...&ct=image&cd=3

Here's a photo of the entrance to the tunnel. It was just a one mile tunnel that the red cars used, not a full fledged subway system.

http://www.geocities.com/los_angeles...portation.html

http://www.usc.edu/libraries/archive...toric/redcars/

Page 1 of 9 1234 ... LastLast