Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Relocating the Disney Gallery: Possible locations around the Resort.

Armchair Imagineering is not my bag. And I don't intend for this thread to be anything of the sort, but in his recent July 17th MiceAge Column, Al Lutz mentioned that the Stores department is scouting possible locations for a relocated Disney Gallery:
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Lutz
    The Disneyland Stores team is currently looking at locations in Downtown Disney, or perhaps Main Street, to move the very successful and profitable Gallery business.
    Afterall, the high-end merch, collectibles, and fine art is a big money maker for Disney - so not relocating the Gallery wouldn't be a smart move.

This thread is an exploration of the Resort - a location hunt of sorts for potential locations for a relocated Disney Gallery.

A unique location is important for a relocated Disney Gallery. The current location in at 21 Royal Street in New Orleans Square is probably as unique as locations for the Gallery can get, so living up to this is a difficult task, and there are other locations that could prove to be interesting new homes for the Gallery.

Anyway, here we go -

PLAZA PAVILLION MAIN STREET, U.S.A.; Disneyland
    The Plaza Pavillion at the end of Main Street is only ever used for overflow Annual Passport processing and sometimes for the Nestle Tollhouse Jr Chef cookie baking activity (do they even do that anymore?). What a perfect location for the Disney Gallery. It would be utilizing currently unused space and it would bring another attraction to Main Street.

DISNEY SHOWCASE EXTENSION MAIN STREET, U.S.A.; Disneyland
    There's an extra little room on the side of the Disney Showcase shop on Main Street that currently doesn't sell anything you can't get in any other store in the park. Perhaps the room is a bit small... but I wonder if somehow it could be converted into a two-level showroom? A gallery on Main Street would suit the Main Street theme well and the Gallery would be a nice addition to the Main Street roster.

STARCADE TOMORROWLAND, Disneyland
    Certainly, Tomorrowland isn't an ideal location for the Disney Gallery. It isn't necessarily theme-appropriate. Sure, there will be art in the future... but the Gallery just doesn't really fit. Still, there's prime real estate in Tomorrowland that is currently quite under-utilized. The Starcade is an interesting 2-level space that could be perfect for a new type of Gallery. Neon signage for the Gallery, a less-traditional approach to presenting the art, and you've got a new kind of art gallery.

SAN FRANSISCO BUILDINGS THE BAY AREA/GOLDEN STATE, Disney's California Adventure
    The San Fransicso facades in DCA have always been a big waste of space. For a while they were actually used during DCA's failed XGames Xperience promotion. Apparently, the inside of the buildings is just one big empty warehouse, but with some money it could be converted into a nice galleryspace and be in a location that could easily be blocked off for lines during signing and product release events. Additionally, it would breathe life into a section of DCA that has been dead since day one. The only problem though is whether or not this area is planned on being removed once DCA's $1 billion beautification project begins...

CATAL RESTAURANT Downtown Disney District
    Catal is probably too profitable to be closed, but the location itself is would be just too amazing for the Disney Gallery. The main showroom would be the two-level, glass-windowed structure that people currently dine in, and then additional gallery space would fill the rest of the restaurant footprint that wraps around the side of that chunk of Downtown Disney. An incredibly unique location, and with enough room for product releases and the print-on-demand machines. I wonder if there's a similar location in Downtown Disney that has a lease expiring soon?

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Can Only Wish For More!

Re: Relocating the Disney Gallery: Possible locations around the Resort.

Maybe they can gut out Vault 28 and actually make it a real "Vault". Use that location under the same name, but just have the gallery in there. I think that's an appropriate name.
    Took mom to Disneyland for the first time in over 20 years this week! Woo!
    - March 1, 2006

She screamed, cried, and laughed...
    - me too!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by WannaCub View Post
    Maybe they can gut out Vault 28 and actually make it a real "Vault". Use that location under the same name, but just have the gallery in there. I think that's an appropriate name.
    I considered this as well, but the Disney Vault 28 shop is in a very small location. Because of this, there would be very limited wallspace, meaning smaller exhibits and the limited space would result in limited retailspace and probably the elimination of the print-on-demand system, as there would be no space for the printing machines.

The Gallery needs, and deserves, a large space and the Vault 28 location just isn't big enough.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Shablagoo!

I like the Plaza Pavillion idea. Its seems to be the best idea to me.

• Cast Member

I'm not a big fan of any of those locations, but if you were going to use the Disney Showcase "extension" which is actually called the ANNEX, then you might as well just gut the whole showcase section itself.

The Shop and the Annex both gutted would be a better place as the Showcase shop itself tries to be seasonal but sells nothing special IMO and their sales reflect that as well.

A fair amount of days the MS Mad Hatter shop does more business than Showcase itself. Not always, but enough of the time to take notice.

They don't call the Showcase "slowcase" for nothing.

But I do like the idea that at the very least you can almost have a complete link between the two collectables shops in DL both on Main Street.

But other than that, I wish the Gallery would stay where it's at. *sigh*

Bye.

• Minion

I hadn't thought of Plaza Pavillion (though I always hope that will become Tony's Restaurante from Lady). That or the lobby of the Opera House seem like the best options. Either could be convincingly dressed as museum/galleries of the Main Street "town."

Just a shop won't do - - one of the reasons the New Orleans Square version was successful was that the space was historic (Walt's apt), unique and highly themed to upscale antiquity. It really felt like a museum gallery.

A postmodern nightmare of Hidden Mickeys at Downtown Disney would just feel like another upscale Disney Store.

• ...is fading out....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post
    I disagree. I say turn Plaza Pavillion back into a restaurant.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    I wish the Gallery would stay where it's at. *sigh*

Bye.
    I agree. I think it should stay where it is....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

If they decide not to bring Lincoln back, I suggest they put it there. In my opinion, the gallery would probably be the only good thing, aside from Lincoln, that could fill that space.

• MiceChat News Team
    • Top Shelf!

BANZAI INSTITUTE for Biomedical Engineering and Strategic Information

The Opera House on Main Street.
    Mr. Lincoln returns, along with Mr. Disney's office set and the Disney Gallery operates inside as well. Foot traffic for all should increase tremendously.
    "If you don't know how to draw, you don't belong in this building" - John Lasseter 2006

• JMUBOY - 30 Yrs Of Magic!

I like the idea of the "Town Square Gallery" - converting the Showcase Shop and annex into a larger gallery space. It's close proximity to Disneyana could prevent duplicate merchandising as well. Disneyana and the gallery could work together to host special art events and product releases.
    WALT'S DISNEYLAND DEDICATION SPEECH! - To all who come to this happy place, welcome! Disneyland is your land. Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth can savour the challenge and promise of the future. Disneyland is dedicated to the ideals, the dreams, and the hard facts that have created America, with the hope that it will become a source of joy, and inspiration to all the world.

• I love my family!

Quote Originally Posted by Melonballer View Post

I'm still holding on to the hope that someday they will reopen the terrace so it can't go there.

besides the demo of the kitchen would be $$$.

I also think the Gallery would get lost on Main Street, with Disneyana being so close.

Unfortunatly the Gallery is already in a perfect setting, it's goin to be tough to find as unique a location.

How about remove the Mad Hatter and move it into the showcase and open that area up for the Gallery.

• Just Me

I actually like the DCA idea. If not the gallery, then maybe something similar.

• Zero Blockout Dates

Fantasyland Skyway Station
    IMO - YMMV - FYIGM

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Relocating the Disney Gallery: Possible locations around the Resort.

Quote Originally Posted by ALIASd View Post
    The Opera House on Main Street.
    Mr. Lincoln returns, along with Mr. Disney's office set and the Disney Gallery operates inside as well. Foot traffic for all should increase tremendously.
    I agree

originally posted by me / EvilQueen; transplanted from another thread; BTW; YES to 'Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln' in a Frontierland setting (it better fits the period); the Opera House on Main Street should be redone as a Salute ("Great Moments with" ?) to Walt Disney and the "Original Disneyland": History, conceptual and original artwork, video clips and artwork from Original Attractions, reproduction of Walt's Office, etc; now that we are 'losing' the Disney Gallery, there should be a must-see, first stop, visit with Walt Disney to introduce and invite you into his beloved Park...

First Time Visitors to the Park would love to experience the History, and old-Timers / Purists would love the nostalgia element... ]
    The Opera House and adjacent area would be a beautiful place to showcase the Disney art, artifacts, conceptual and "Blue Sky" drawings, video clips and art from Original Attractions; I - for one - would love to see the Opera House Theatre (where I watched most of the original animated features as a child; both of my parents were Cast Members as well) turned into a multi-media (video, sound bytes, AA figure(s), archival footage, etc) honoring Walt Disney - the man and Visionary - who created the original Park.

• Special Agent

Why not simply expand the Disneyana Shop into the current location of the cinema? Doing that, they might actually have enough space for a small theater that could show Walt Disney movies and highlights and educational featurettes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast