Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Re: Do you feel the Disneyland Bag Check Security needs to be bumped up!

Popcorn?!?!? Yummy!!! Butter please!

• no flash photography...

I don't think it will matter. They are only there to make people feel safe. I don't even like opening my bags I would not enjoy being patted down or having to prove my pockets are empty. This will only stop honest safe people from bringing stuff in. The people with bad intentions will always figure out a way around it.

Metal detectors, bomb detectors, and facial recognition, along with X-ray machines, at the security checkpoints would make them more effective, but they are not purely for show, either. They do serve a purpose.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by PragmaticIdealist View Post
    Metal detectors, bomb detectors, and facial recognition, along with X-ray machines, at the security checkpoints would make them more effective, but they are not purely for show, either. They do serve a purpose.
    If metal detectors, bomb detectors, etc were implemented at Disneyland security checkpoints, it would likely seriously alter my visitation patterns as having to deal with such things would affect the Disneyland experience. Disneyland is not an airport or a federal building. These types of security measures aren't necessary. Terrorists aren't going to target Disneyland - what purpose would that serve? It wouldn't seriously damage our defenses or economy like targeting the World Trade Center or federal buildings like the Pentagon did.

Disneyland is safe. Higher security measures are unnecessary.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• "I Break Things"

Gracey, couldn't agree more...

Also would you really want metal detectors. Consider the various cultural and language barriers. The Average Guest has a hard enough time at the gate trying to find the ticket he just bought at the ticket booth. Do you really want to stand behind that guy... or the thousands like him... as the search every bag and have you walk through metal detectors single file? It'd be like LAX, you'd leave home to line up 2 or 3 HOURS before Disneyland OPENS just to get in.

and that is without a FastPass

Gracey... more popcorn please, this might be a while!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    If metal detectors, bomb detectors, etc were implemented at Disneyland security checkpoints, it would likely seriously alter my visitation patterns as having to deal with such things would affect the Disneyland experience. Disneyland is not an airport or a federal building. These types of security measures aren't necessary. Terrorists aren't going to target Disneyland - what purpose would that serve? It wouldn't seriously damage our defenses or economy like targeting the World Trade Center or federal buildings like the Pentagon did.

Disneyland is safe. Higher security measures are unnecessary.

Terrorists aren't going to target Disney?

Wow, I guess we're all safe then, nothing to worry about.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Gracey, couldn't agree more...

Also would you really want metal detectors. Consider the various cultural and language barriers. The Average Guest has a hard enough time at the gate trying to find the ticket he just bought at the ticket booth. Do you really want to stand behind that guy... or the thousands like him... as the search every bag and have you walk through metal detectors single file? It'd be like LAX, you'd leave home to line up 2 or 3 HOURS before Disneyland OPENS just to get in.

and that is without a FastPass
    Indeed. Lines to simply get into the Entry Plaza would be lengthy and tedious. I wouldn't be surprised if implementation of such security measures would also affect overall park attendance/business?

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Gracey... more popcorn please, this might be a while!
    I'll get right on it!

| | |

• careful...i'm contagous!

in the paradise city. were the grass is green & the girls are pretty

Have you noticed that it's VERY VERY easy to bring in a weapon? My dad says all the time, "I can easily sneak in a weapon"
    i know what you mean i constantly make comments about this security
    doombuggiesDISNEYROYALTY

• Progressive Disneylander

What I find funny is that there is all these complaints about Disney not doing it right, yet there hasn't been any incident so far. They must be doing something right. 52 years and has there been an serious incident so far? As long as there has been no problems, there is no need to change a thing.

IMO, the bag check is more for preventing potential grander scale incidents. A person could have walked in with a gun pre-9/11. They still can today if they keep it on their person. But they ain't walking in with anything more complex.

The average kook could commit the same act of violence in a mall, a restaurant, Wal-Mart or other places and do a great deal of harm on the same scale. And in all of those places, the security isn't anything like what is going on at DL.

The fact is that this type of act doesn't happen very often overall in society. And when those few people do crazy things at schools/colleges, they do it there because they have bad feelings towards those specific places.

The odds of someone going into DL with guns blazing is so very, very, very slim. I mean, think about it... If this crazy person wants to take out a bunch of Disneylanders, he could do that much easier before everyone even gets to the checkpoints in the early hours when everyone is pouring in. Why would the nutjob risk getting caught when he doesn't have to? And that hasn't happened either.

The odds of such an incident occuring are far greater at more common public places that you go to. If DL needs a better security checkpoint, then so do other places where many people go where there are none at all.

IMO, the current system clearly works and there is no need to change it.

• Digging to Earth's center

Quote Originally Posted by BCC View Post
    First of all, why call it Disneyland Bag Check Security? Let's call it a time waster... They just open your bag and take a little peek...then let you go...

But that's not my main concern. They really need to start checking people's pockets!
    I agree with the fact that they need to start checking pockets. But to tell you the truth, sometimes they do!

I was also thinking, "It's so easy to sneak in a weapon." So then I tried this test: I put my cell phone and wallet in my coat pockets, so that there was this HUGE, noticeable bulge. And guess what... they noticed!

So I was thinking, "Good. So if it's a huge weapon, they'd point it out if sneaked in by pockets."

Perhaps that's why no serious incident has happened so far.

• "I Break Things"

I think the Tom Sawyer Island revolt was the last major "Incident" and that was a protest over Vietnam.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Banned User

Searches don't bother me at all. Each day when I go to work we go through a metal detector and our bags go through an xray machine. On the way out they usually make us remove our hats, watches and other loose stuff.

If that's what it takes to get into DL, I'm all for it.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by draybook View Post
    If that's what it takes to get into DL, I'm all for it.
    But if it's completely unnecessary, then why?

| | |

• A Ghost at Disneyland

As Kissman pointed out... having your bag searched is partially to find a large explosive device or weapon. But what the security people are really looking for is suspicious behavior or stress expressed by people going through the bag seach area.

There are far more undercover security people on the job at the DLR than most people realize. A "suspicious" individual gets additional attention and evaluation to see if he is carrying a weapon. Many concealed weapons cause a distinct sag in either the shirt or pants the person is wearing... or simply a bulge that is not in a pocket. (I know what you're thinking SCUBAbe! And we're not talking that kind of bulge.)

My point is that the bag check area is not simply for show. That it does have a real purpose, even if that purpose is not what most people think it is.

There is no question in my mind that Disney is doing a great job with security. Especially since Disneyland is an icon in the American psyche. It's a prime terror target. A terrorist attack there would make a huge impact on America. But most likely not the one the terrorists were hoping for.

Just a thought.

• At the Gym or at DL

I've never been stopped by security and everytime I go to Disneyland I'm carrying two big guns and a six pack.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast