Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Do you feel the Disneyland Bag Check Security needs to be bumped up!

First of all, why call it Disneyland Bag Check Security? Let's call it a time waster... They just open your bag and take a little peek...then let you go...

But that's not my main concern. They really need to start checking people's pockets!

Have you noticed that it's VERY VERY easy to bring in a weapon? My dad says all the time, "I can easily sneak in a weapon"

They really should start checking people for these things.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Do you feel the Disneyland Bag Check Security needs to be bumped up!

You'd need more than a bag check, more than a pocket check for weapons. If someone really wanted to bring something in, it's hard to stop that.

Fortunately, most people are decent and aren't at the parks to hurt someone else. At least the "security" people seem a little smarter than in November, 2001 - when a "security" guard lifted an Always pad from my bag and into the air. Then he asked "whats this"? I thought of saying something a little smarmy, but I figured I'd better not. I did go to city hall, to tell them they needed a list of feminine protection items with pictures - just like the airlines do for bags. You would think by age 70 or so, the guy would know what a pad was.

The real security at Disney is behind the scenes, I have no idea what they expect to accomplish with the cursory bag checks at any of the parks. At DLP, there are policemen with machine guns in the RER station at Downtown Disney (at least sometimes). That felt odd and strangely comforting at the same time. (more odd and out-of-place, though!)
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

While I'm glad it's there, I know it does nothing. It's more of a reassurance than actual protection.
    "The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company."

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BCC View Post
    First of all, why call it Disneyland Bag Check Security? Let's call it a time waster... They just open your bag and take a little peek...then let you go...

But that's not my main concern. They really need to start checking people's pockets!

Have you noticed that it's VERY VERY easy to bring in a weapon? My dad says all the time, "I can easily sneak in a weapon"

They really should start checking people for these things.
    From the "be careful what you wish for" department...

I've said in various threads here that I walk into the DLR security area with a cellphone in one pocket, camera in another pocket, batteries and other various items...but since I have no bag I breeze through.

Either make the security checks meaningful, or stop what is in my view an unnecessary waste of guests time otherwise.

--Barry
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • PEZZ in the Fez

Would Walt have wanted metal detectors at the only park he actually visited?

That was a half-joke.

The bag check is there to catch only most obvious and egregious (and large) contraband from entering the Parks. From there, it's a matter of having Security, visible or not, monitoring peoples' behavior.

I, for one, do not relish the thought of having to take my shoes off and having my items scanned every time I go there but if that's what it takes...
    How much do we have to pay to get MiceChat Old?

• Angel Fan MC Man

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PEZZ Lightyear View Post

The bag check is there to catch only most obvious and egregious (and large) contraband from entering the Parks. From there, it's a matter of having Security, visible or not, monitoring peoples' behavior.

I, for one, do not relish the thought of having to take my shoes off and having my items scanned every time I go there but if that's what it takes...
    Question...since it seems to me that any such nefarious plots would be far easier to hatch from the "inside"...are CM's routinely searched? Members of TDA? Outside vendors who make deliveries into the parks? Seems to me you have as great, or maybe greater chance for danger there.

--Barry
    Last edited by Radiobarry; 07-21-2007 at 06:46 AM.
    God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    ...At least the "security" people seem a little smarter than in November, 2001 - when a "security" guard lifted an Always pad from my bag and into the air. Then he asked "whats this"? I thought of saying something a little smarmy, but I figured I'd better not. I did go to city hall, to tell them they needed a list of feminine protection items with pictures - just like the airlines do for bags. You would think by age 70 or so, the guy would know what a pad was...
    Reminded me of this advert

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    ...The real security at Disney is behind the scenes, I have no idea what they expect to accomplish with the cursory bag checks at any of the parks. At DLP, there are policemen with machine guns in the RER station at Downtown Disney (at least sometimes). That felt odd and strangely comforting at the same time. (more odd and out-of-place, though!)
    In Paris they have the Gendarmerie with sub machine guns at all their national treasures. It's quite disarming at first. It was the same in Athens airport when I was there. It's all about the appearance of security rather than actual security. I rekon they should just get rid of the "temporary" security tents at DLR. They serve no real purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    While I'm glad it's there, I know it does nothing. It's more of a reassurance than actual protection.
    Zactly - warm fuzzies, while the real security guys are secretly all over situations.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

have you ever seen the movie "unbreakable"?
    There is a part where they start doing tap downs because they want to scare away the dude with a gun. They want him to see that they are tapping and he will get caught.

I feel that the bag checks are something like this. It's to show everyone that you won't be able to bring in something obvious.

Now about the smuggling things in your pockets - You gotta have faith in the security system at DL. There is soooo much that goes on behind the scenes that help keep it the happiest place on earth. They watch everyone and everything at the park and if someone is going to plan to sneak in a weapon with plans to do harm they are going to be acting abnormally and will stick out like a sore thumb.

I won't worry about anything ever happening at the park and I get my bags ready for checking to make sure I go through the line as fast as i can.
    We're devils and black sheep, really bad eggs,
    Drink up, me 'earties, yo ho.

www.ThisHappyPlace.com

• Reformed Bedknob Twister

It seems to be mostly for show than anything else. We bring in a large diaper bag every time and they look in it for a split second and wave us through. Except for the one time my husband took the bag through instead of me. The person took literally 5 minutes searching the bag by directing my husband to "open this", "take that out", "unzip this". I could see that my husband's head was close to exploding! Oh and no one else in front or behind that had their bags searched so thoroughly.

This happens with him nearly every time we go through a security checkpoint, so I just end up taking the big bag through without problems. It was really bad when we were flying internationally after 9-11. He was pulled aside for secondary checks 3 out of 4 times.

• Stop That!

Personally, I think Disney should just make everyone get naked before going through the turnstiles. Once inside, guests would be handed an Official Disneyland Smockô to wear for the duration of their visit.

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by sterlingbird11 View Post
    This happens with him nearly every time we go through a security checkpoint, so I just end up taking the big bag through without problems. It was really bad when we were flying internationally after 9-11.
    Maybe he should try it without the ski mask...

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Reminded me of this advert

I love that! That reminds me of New Years Eve week, some of us at WDW were joking about using them as "party poppers". Getting some tiny parachutes and releasing Tampax for New Years Eve.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I'm not really sure the bag check is even neccessary at DL, in my opinion. How many roving gangs of thugs have you seen there recently? Worst case scenario, somebody sneaks in a little alcohol and experiences the park in a very different way. *shrugs*
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Reformed Bedknob Twister

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    Maybe he should try it without the ski mask...
    But what fun would that be??

I just dont see people paying what is it now 85 dollars for a one day ticket to go to the park with intentions of hurting people.

C'mon everybody, here we go!

Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast