Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

• Little Miss Sunshine

Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Does DCA's Segway tour happen during park hours?
    It starts at 7am, and ends at 10am (not sure what time the park is currently open, I should know that since I was just there!)

I had put up photos from the Fort Wilderness Segway tour recently, that is something new at WDW. I asked if Segways would be allowed around the campground for rent, and it looks like the answer is no. If there would be anyplace I'd feel was safer for Segways, that would be one place (more wide open spaces, etc.).

I am in good shape, but balancing on a Segway is exercise. It is also hard on the feet. And they go fast. I'd not want to put one in a crowded area, like on Disneyland paths. I didn't even always feel safe this past week when walking (through very dense crowds). I wouldn't feel comfortable with someone on a Segway in Disneyland. And I want to see Heelys gone too, while we are at it - too many kids running into other people.
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

•   
      MiceChat Moderator
    • with sprinkles, please

Blog Entries

Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    trust me I have used both and a segway is much LESS likely to hit anyone and if it did it would do little or no injury compared to a 150+ pound wheelchair
    I think they are less worried about you hitting someone, and more worried about you falling off and hurting yourself, due to your own instability issues.
    A signature should go here.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Disneynut View Post
    Sorry, but I own a Segway and this is far from being the case. They are self balancing only to a certain extent. As you previously stated, the slightest body movement causes them to move. Your description above gives the impression that the Segway can stand on its own even without a rider. You still need an absolute sense of balance in order to maintain the Segway in an upright position.
    I agree. I don't own one, but I've used one - and they only balance as much as the rider controlling them. What if you hit something on the ground that caused you to spill? And then you need the strength to set it down (though I suppose they can be fixed to stay up, I have no idea).
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

Just because its smaller, and lighter than a ECV doesn't make it safe for a theme park. It's not a medical device. Period.

How can you possibly think its safe to navigate through a busy theme park on a segway? You are at a much higher sightline and you can't possibly see or be aware of small children around you. And yes, its a FAMILY THEME PARK so there may just be children around.

And honestly, Segways are like SUV's. Anyone can own one, and it takes no special training or instruction to operate one and both can be potentially DANGEROUS.

•   
    • Super Hero

Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    I am in good shape, but balancing on a Segway is exercise. It is also hard on the feet.
    Really? I didn't find it hard on my feet or any type of exercise at all, other than standing for two-plus hours.

I wonder if they use a different Segway model in the two parks (not that I would remember what model I used!). Anyway, I was very comfortable on the DCA Segway. I liked that the center column was height-adjustable (I'm little) and the tour guides said they just had these hard, rectangular boxes attached to the center column so people could store stuff in them. However, my SMALL backpack purse baaaarely fit into the box, so you can't bring a Princess Buttercup/Mary Poppins-style carpet bag with you.

• Little Miss Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda Woman View Post
    Really? I didn't find it hard on my feet or any type of exercise at all, other than standing for two-plus hours.
    Definitely - this time I used it on more off-roading (at Fort Wilderness), not just pavement. But while I can stand normally a long time, my feet go numb very quickly on a Segway. Mostly because I can't walk around to keep the blood circulating!

Also - there are legal issues. What if the rider or someone else got hurt due to an accident?
    Denise

www.mousesteps.com

Favorite TDL Typo:

on Bay Lake.

• DL ODV CM

Not so, the Segway has two speeds and you can limit it to only work in the slower speed which they do at the innovention demos.

My ECV wheelchair goes 20 mph like alot of them do at fullspeed but like most if not all disabled people I dont race around running over people!
    If guests were allowed to choose their speed most would not choose the lower speed. Also, I believe I said that most (ie not every single one) ECVs have top speeds of 5 MPH. A Google search verifies this, but I cannot cannot find one that claims to have a top speed of 20 MPH. Unless yours was modified, which is possible, but is beside the point which is:

The average Segway will travel faster than the average ECV/wheelchair, which is grounds for unsafe situations in a place with crowds of people. Segways have already been banned in many malls and cities for this reason.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

•   
    • Senior Minion

I am sorry to hear about your condition. You did mention that you can lose your balance as part of your condition,,, this wouldn't be very good on a Segway would it?

•   
      MiceChat Senior Moderator
    • Jester of Randomness

Trying to keep it light and fluffy since '05...
    Blog Entries

And in case you are more likely to get hit by a kid running around unsupervised.
    If I could pick between getting hit by an out of control 8 year old running through the park, or having my foot run over or being run into by a EVC, Wheelchair or Segway...

I'd take the kid...

Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!

Quote Originally Posted by AGhostFromThePast
    all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

• Minion

HI I did in my post, Multiple sclerosis and CFIDS, any illness that causes fatigue, muscle weakness and loss of balance are candidates and there are even amputees that use them see the link for draft on my site thanks.
    exacltly why a wheelchair works for them and a segway wouldnt

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lang View Post
    And honestly, Segways are like SUV's. Anyone can own one, and it takes no special training or instruction to operate one and both can be potentially DANGEROUS.
    Same goes for bicycles, hammers and strollers!

None of which belong in a theme park.

• I may be nutz...but...

I asked my husband who IS disabled about how he felt about this. His answer was that he felt that they were a safety issue. Too many people in too close quarters and then you add segways, it just is not going to work. He HATES wheelchairs and still would rather be in one of those than be on a segway in a crowd. I also have problems with my lower back and legs which keep me from walking for longer than 30 minutes to an hour at a stretch and I would not feel comfortable using one in a crowd.
    susabelle
    I find it disconcerting that one would start a thread about something ask for opinions, but clearly state that they wanted NO bashing and then turn around and say I will no longer read any replies because no one agrees with me and you are not saying what I wanted you to say, that is Disabled People SHOULD be allowed to ride segways in the Parks. Did you want HONEST opinions or just a thread of a bunch of people agreeing with you? Even my husband , again, he IS disabled, does not agree with you, and I myself who cannot walk longer than an hour do not want to see the park use these. it is too much of a danger for everyone, the user of the segway and the others in the Park with the crowds.
    Last edited by Susabelle; 07-22-2007 at 12:06 PM.

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by Susabelle View Post
    Too many people in too close quarters and then you add segways, it just is not going to work.
    Hmm, suddenly I'm visualizing a use for that empty Peoplemover track...

• Canon DSLR Professional

Folks this is "The Future" (not that hooey entertainment they show in Tomorrowland - including Asimo) and ease of transportation for all who are capable - including those who are physically impaired is here and now. The Segway, though not the ultimate answer, is a plausible solution to mobility for both those who are able and those who are disabled. Self propelled wheel chairs are an answer to not having friends or family members to push conventional types or giving the user the opportunity to be moderately independent. Those who have spoken against the Segway are narrow in their view (please do not read narrow minded, inept or mentally challenged into this - read it for what it says) of what this equipment is capable of and no, I neither own one nor have I had the opportunity to ride one, but I have seen them is action and not just two or three scooting about, but more than 25 at various times (in a tight to straggled grouping) with both able and disabled drivers and in an urban area packed with crowds of people both able and disabled. No, not Disneyland, but downtown Long Beach, California. This area is much more congested due to size as well as areas of pedestrian mobility. Segways are not running over walkers, some are renters, most are owners and there are all variations from large wheel terrain types to those for persons who are disabled.
    For those concerned about the Segway for those who have balance issues and such, understand there are other attachments allowing such riders to stand or sit and additional gyro mechanisms which allow for balance.

See you in the Park....
    Vance DeBar "Pinto" Colvig was born on September 11, 1892. I was born on September 11, 1959. Goofy huh?
    OOPS.....

• Minion

My ECV wheelchair goes 20 mph like alot of them do at fullspeed but like most if not all disabled people I dont race around running over people!
    What brand do you have that goes 20 mph?? I can't find one that goes over 7 mph. Disneyland's are limited to 2 mph. At 20 mph you are going as fast as some of the roller coasters at Disneyland. Add to that, California requires these to go no faster than 12.5 mph.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast