Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 176
  1. #31

    • Pilot EdForceOne
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    15,730

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Not to burst the excitement Bubble about the new Segway tours and Don't get me wrong I love WALT'S Disneyland and I think everyone should be able to ride Segways anywhere they want to, but is anyone aware of or bothered by the fact that the Disney Company both promotes Segway Technology, and offers expensive Segway tours BUT DENIES SEGWAY ACCESS FOR THE DISABLED!:
    The fact Disney offers Segway tours is completely irrelevant. The tours take place

    - while the parks are not open to the public
    - with supervision

    Disney has segways - but doesn't use them in the park with guests (that I've ever seen). They use them in parking lots, etc.

    Segways are very cool, but like all powered vehicles, pose a risk.

    Disney is not alone.. many cities have banned them from sidewalks, and some countries have banned them in public places PERIOD.

    The FDA angle is a very defendable position. Disney doesn't want powered vehicles in the park... the exception would be for things that are a medical necessity. How are you to judge that w/o bias or worry about customer's threatening to sue, etc? You go with a government standard.

    Anyone who has played with these realize how dangerous they can be when not used properly.

    Besides.. this is an OLD story (from 2004 and older).. what makes you bring this up now?
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  2. #32

    • Mickey Mouse Slave
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    859

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    ask the CMs and you will know... some of us have been runned over by them before... :\

    they are dangerous...

    OP: IF a Disabled person wanted to ride a Segway, wouldnt an ECV do the exact same??? The purpose of a Segway is for a person to travel without walking...
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

  3. #33

    • Little Miss Sunshine
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,950

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    You know, if Disney allowed them for Epcot, it wouldn't really bother me so much (at least during the slow times). The walkways are very wide, and managers scootering about doesn't faze me at all.

    However, I know that with Fort Wilderness, I was told they'd never be rented out. Part of the reason - what if someone else got hold of the Segway? And again, I don't always feel comfortable walking in crowds - let alone if a Segway was there. Disneyland scared me at times just walking (through crowds around the Fantasmic area).

    That doesn't mean it won't sometime happen. But unlike a wheelchair, you can actually tumble over a Segway. If you were propping it up and it fell on someone, it can hurt them. Disney has to look at safety for everyone.
    Denise

    www.mousesteps.com




    Favorite TDL Typo:

    Quote Originally Posted by TDLFAN View Post
    I think it will give more pipping pervs the reason needed to go parasailing
    on Bay Lake.

  4. #34

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,478

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    I am on the fence on this one. I know Segway had a huge recall because of a "safety issue" when the thing ran out of power. From what I remember it has a army of sensors to keep you balanced while on board, when it ran out of juice there was no way to keep you upright and you fell. To my knowledge I believe that issue has been corrected.

    I would be fine with ANYONE using Segways provided they have experience and have taken the proper instruction courses. However most do not fall under this category and I do not believe a crowded public place is the right place for them to learn. You mentioned people falling over you when you were in a wheelchair, because you aren't "eye level". My kid's aren't "eye level" and have the same problem. The oldest is 4, then 3, and 1.5, usually I have to either pick them up or step in front of them at the last moment to keep someone from running them over. There is always the occasional bump, someone stops, helps the kid up. My "fear" is someone in a Segway hitting them, not knowing how to control it, and possibly injuring them further. The same can be said of the ECV tanks, but at tank level it is more likely a novice driver and less likely the "I didn't see you" comment.

    If they do not currently have a mandatory course for those renting the tanks then I doubt they will implement one for Segway usage either. Until there is a level of responsibility and competent training I would have to say no. That is not "No sorry disabled people" that is "No sorry EVERYONE". Because to me my kid's health is more important then someone's joyride.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  5. #35

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by DippyDawg'32 View Post
    Folks this is "The Future" (not that hooey entertainment they show in Tomorrowland - including Asimo) and ease of transportation for all who are capable - including those who are physically impaired is here and now. The Segway, though not the ultimate answer, is a plausible solution to mobility for both those who are able and those who are disabled. Self propelled wheel chairs are an answer to not having friends or family members to push conventional types or giving the user the opportunity to be moderately independent. Those who have spoken against the Segway are narrow in their view (please do not read narrow minded, inept or mentally challenged into this - read it for what it says) of what this equipment is capable of and no, I neither own one nor have I had the opportunity to ride one, but I have seen them is action and not just two or three scooting about, but more than 25 at various times (in a tight to straggled grouping) with both able and disabled drivers and in an urban area packed with crowds of people both able and disabled. No, not Disneyland, but downtown Long Beach, California. This area is much more congested due to size as well as areas of pedestrian mobility. Segways are not running over walkers, some are renters, most are owners and there are all variations from large wheel terrain types to those for persons who are disabled.
    For those concerned about the Segway for those who have balance issues and such, understand there are other attachments allowing such riders to stand or sit and additional gyro mechanisms which allow for balance.

    See you in the Park....
    Thank you very very much finnaly a informed voice of reason, and an sympathetic ear!

    When I ride a segway its gyro stabilization replaces my nonfunctioning balance I dont understand why people who neither have this disability nor have been on a segway dont get it.

    I do have this loss and balance and I have ridden a segway and it allows me to be mobile in a fashion similar to what was taken away from me and similar to what the average person enjoys, for what possible reason would anyone deny a disabled person from being able to acheive a more "normal" means of mobility?

    Oddly no one seems to address the issue of the making money on segway rentals on the one hand and baning disabled people from using them on the other!

    Like this gentleman please get some facts first, do a google search for disabled people using segways etc and the accident record for them before making comments that may be uninformed.

    Every mode of transportation is imperfect and bound to have accidents, I have seen strollers go out of control and roll down hills at the parks with babies in them. I have seen people stumble over their own feet and fall, I have had on many occasions people fall over my wheelchair and land on me! they are usually walking backwards why do people walk backwards without looking??!!

    Like everything its all in the useage, all they have to do is ask people to not drive them faster than the lowest speed limiter setting im fine with that I am often with friends and i have to set my wheelchair speed to a lower setting so I can move with them.

    Also segways are lighter and smaller than the big heavy ecv chairs I personnally having used both find the segway much safer for both rider and the public.

    Its odd how no one here is rallying to get Disney to change its policy like any attempt to halt progress you will loose in the end and people disabled or not will be using such devices in the future, it feels odd to talk about Disneyland being against progress!

    Dont forget these suckers are way overpriced too at $4,500 not to many people are going to be using them till the price drops.

    its simple to police just like if someone was runing around knocking over people if a segway driver was going to fast or causing problems you ask them to stop or ask them to leave if need be...

    People untill you have lost your stamina, muscle contol and balance and cant walk but a fraction of the speed of everyone else and only a blockbefore getting tired and have to stop and risk falling over and then try a new device like the segway that lets you stand tall see everyone eye to eye again and be able to move at normal walking speeds with your family and friends and be able to do so for miles then you really shouldnt try and prevent those who need the assistance of such a device from having the opportunity to enjoy the Happiest place on earth along with you!

  6. #36

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Thank you very very much finnaly a informed voice of reason, and an sympathetic ear!
    Just because they are the first person to really agree with you doesn't mean they are more informed than the rest of us.

  7. #37

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    What brand do you have that goes 20 mph?? I can't find one that goes over 7 mph. Disneyland's are limited to 2 mph. At 20 mph you are going as fast as some of the roller coasters at Disneyland. Add to that, California requires these to go no faster than 12.5 mph.
    I have two one is a standard wheelchair that is motorized and one is a 3 wheeled scooter both used at disneyland the scooter even goes 24mph at full speed BUT THATS THE POINT you never use it at full speed. trust I have rented the disney ones too and you almost never go full speed with those either certainly not all the time and not when its unsafe.

    come on its just like driving a car cars can go over 100 mph but do we drive them that fast in school zones?

    so why do you think that a disabled person of all people would be a hazard!

  8. #38

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    The fact Disney offers Segway tours is completely irrelevant. The tours take place

    - while the parks are not open to the public
    - with supervision

    Disney has segways - but doesn't use them in the park with guests (that I've ever seen). They use them in parking lots, etc.

    Segways are very cool, but like all powered vehicles, pose a risk.

    Disney is not alone.. many cities have banned them from sidewalks, and some countries have banned them in public places PERIOD.

    The FDA angle is a very defendable position. Disney doesn't want powered vehicles in the park... the exception would be for things that are a medical necessity. How are you to judge that w/o bias or worry about customer's threatening to sue, etc? You go with a government standard.

    Anyone who has played with these realize how dangerous they can be when not used properly.

    Besides.. this is an OLD story (from 2004 and older).. what makes you bring this up now?
    I have taken a mobility scooter into disneyland many times without them giving any trouble THAT IS ALSO NOT FDA APPROVED

    it had 3 wheels

    because the segway is new technology and innovative it needs only 2 wheels its that simple.

    I guess I should stick a dummy 3rd wheel on it and disguise as some old lame scooter and I bet they would let me in and I would have no trouble and not run over anyone and cause fatalities lol

  9. #39

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by Duffy View Post
    ask the CMs and you will know... some of us have been runned over by them before... :\

    they are dangerous...

    OP: IF a Disabled person wanted to ride a Segway, wouldnt an ECV do the exact same??? The purpose of a Segway is for a person to travel without walking...
    exactly I want to travel LIKE A PERSON WHO IS WALKING by using a segway since I CANNOT TRAVEL BY WALKING LIKE A REGULAR PERSON ANYMORE

    the whole point is that it gives you back as close as is possible the sensation and freedom of just being able to walk again in the same position and speed as your friends!

  10. #40

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by nbodyhome View Post
    You know, if Disney allowed them for Epcot, it wouldn't really bother me so much (at least during the slow times). The walkways are very wide, and managers scootering about doesn't faze me at all.

    However, I know that with Fort Wilderness, I was told they'd never be rented out. Part of the reason - what if someone else got hold of the Segway? And again, I don't always feel comfortable walking in crowds - let alone if a Segway was there. Disneyland scared me at times just walking (through crowds around the Fantasmic area).

    That doesn't mean it won't sometime happen. But unlike a wheelchair, you can actually tumble over a Segway. If you were propping it up and it fell on someone, it can hurt them. Disney has to look at safety for everyone.
    Ok guess what my worst accident ever in my 4 wheeled wheel chair was at fort wilderness when it lost its footing on the gravel and slid out of control and almost rolled over the edge and I almost fell out of the seat a guy ran up and grabbed it and saved me or i might have fallen down a hill .... so it isnt really safer there....

    segways dont work that way when on they stay up on their own they cant fall over, when not using it you turn it off and it has a kick stand to keep it upright....

    only an idiot who has never used one or bothers not to listen to instructions on their first ride could cause that to happen... some oh say like President! lol

  11. #41

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I am on the fence on this one. I know Segway had a huge recall because of a "safety issue" when the thing ran out of power. From what I remember it has a army of sensors to keep you balanced while on board, when it ran out of juice there was no way to keep you upright and you fell. To my knowledge I believe that issue has been corrected.

    I would be fine with ANYONE using Segways provided they have experience and have taken the proper instruction courses. However most do not fall under this category and I do not believe a crowded public place is the right place for them to learn. You mentioned people falling over you when you were in a wheelchair, because you aren't "eye level". My kid's aren't "eye level" and have the same problem. The oldest is 4, then 3, and 1.5, usually I have to either pick them up or step in front of them at the last moment to keep someone from running them over. There is always the occasional bump, someone stops, helps the kid up. My "fear" is someone in a Segway hitting them, not knowing how to control it, and possibly injuring them further. The same can be said of the ECV tanks, but at tank level it is more likely a novice driver and less likely the "I didn't see you" comment.

    If they do not currently have a mandatory course for those renting the tanks then I doubt they will implement one for Segway usage either. Until there is a level of responsibility and competent training I would have to say no. That is not "No sorry disabled people" that is "No sorry EVERYONE". Because to me my kid's health is more important then someone's joyride.
    A segway has essentially the same profile and footprint area as a standing person albeit a overweight tall person perhaps this alone makes it safer to be in public.

    A Segway weighs a fraction what a ecv does and so has less mass momentum also by its very nature of operation if you "bump" up against someone they pushes the balance of the vehicle upward and causes it to stop on a dime...

    you can see videos of this online if you run into the back of someone it just gentley moves up and stops.

    it has speed limits the lowest one is normal walking speed once locked in to this speed it cant go faster.

    Only experienced riders should ever use one in public, I only took me a few minutes to become proficient at using one.

    the did fix that initial bug its now not a problem it was simply the case of riders not paying attention to the battery indicator and running till the battery died now it beeps to warn you and it will slow down and stop itself now while there is power left to do so when it runs out.

  12. #42

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Just because they are the first person to really agree with you doesn't mean they are more informed than the rest of us.
    Read what he said and my statement will make sense.

    he is more informed than most who state they know little about it when he said he as seen many segways used in dense public crowded areas with no mishaps occuring

    yes this actually is possible.

    if people go around civiliy and not run into eachother which they usually do whether walking, skating, etc...

  13. #43

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    You honestly sound like a raving lunatic. I have nothing but empathy for disabled people and I applaud Disneyland for making accomodations for those aflicted even if it would interfere with other guests (in most cases it does not). I do not mind waiting a few extra minutes so somebody in a wheelchair can be loaded onto an attraction. I wait with a smile.

    But some disabled people, very few in my experience, have this attitude that they can do anything they want and nothing they say is wrong just because they are handicapped, especially on issues such as this. "Move out da way, folks! I got a bum leg and I ain't stoppin' for nobody!" (And don't get me started on disabled passholders )

    Segways are relatively new and there are still safety concerns to consider. Change takes time and it usually comes in small steps. If you really want to make real change consider writing well thought out and polite arguments about the issue. Don't go out there with guns blazing and put everybody on the defensive, including Disney.

    And if the answer is no consider looking at the other side and think of solutions to the opposition's concerns. Disney isn't sitting around and thinking up exciting new ways to piss off the handicapped. They want the park to be as accessible as possible to you so they can take your money. It's nothing personal.

  14. #44

    • I may be nutz...but...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    In a state of confusion....huh??!!?!
    Posts
    424

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    I find it interesting that the OP said they were leaving the thread when NO one was agreeing with their viewpoint, but when someone came on that agreed, the OP came back and stated that finally someone with a voice of reason has posted... So that makes the rest of our opinions unreasonable? My disabled husband disagrees with you and thinks the same as most here have stated, they are not safe in crowded areas! Count me as an adversary or whatever, if you must, but I think you just wanted everyone to agree with you and take up the banner of the cause with you and when we did not you got mad. I just don't think they are a reasonable solution for such a crowded park. I remember days when it was like sardines in a can and it would have been very dangerous for Segways to have to stop and start suddenly and what would have happened if the operator made one little mistake. In that crowded of a space, several people would get hurt, not just the person on the segway. I have to say no.

  15. #45

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    At least I didnt get personal about it..........

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney World vs Segway lawsuit settled
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
  2. Judge dismisses lawsuit against Disney over Segway usage.
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 09:28 AM
  4. More Segway Tours To Be Offered Outside Of Epcot
    By tjcjr in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 09:49 AM
  5. How about Segway Tours for DL or DCA?
    By ganggreen4jc in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 06:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •