Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 176
  1. #1

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Not to burst the excitement Bubble about the new Segway tours and Don't get me wrong I love WALT'S Disneyland and I think everyone should be able to ride Segways anywhere they want to, but is anyone aware of or bothered by the fact that the Disney Company both promotes Segway Technology, and offers expensive Segway tours BUT DENIES SEGWAY ACCESS FOR THE DISABLED!:

    1. In Innoventions they HAD ride on demonstrations of Segways as the new futuristic alternative to human transportation and also had an I-Bot Two Wheeled Wheel chair concept by Kamen as well then....

    2. When users of Segways that use them instead of wheelchairs because they are disabled with illnesses like Multiple Sclerosis of CFIDS try to bring their Segways into Disneyland, management refuses to let them do so, using the excuse they are not FDA (FDA what a joke) approved! Even tho they are approved and recommended by MS association!

    3. Segway demos mysteriously dissapear from Innoventions...hmm

    4. Now they are offering 1hr (actually only one hour ride time) Segway tours for $99! Hmmmmmmm

    And I assume they still dont let people like me with CFIDS that weakens muscles and causes very fast fatigue and loss of balance use a Segway to get around the park? So Disabled people who have wanted new 21st century technology to eleviate their symptoms and allow them to get around like everyone else, to be at normal eye height again when you move around have to be forced to resort to 19th century wheelchairs and pay $35 plus $20 deposit to use a Disney approved power chair? Hmmmmm

    Also I am pretty sure that if he were alive Mr. Disney who was always at least 50 yrs ahead of his time would welcome Segway usage day one especially for the Disabled.

    Just thought I would mention this to all those who might not be aware of the facts.

    And please no bashing by hardcore Disney fans WHO ARE NOT DISABLED and have no idea what its like, thank you very much.

    Here are some links about this issue:

    http://www.draft.org/draft3/

    MSN article on Disney banning Disabled Segway users

    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4217573

    Reply to comments so far:

    About being hit by an electric wheelchair: Have you ever HAD to use one because you are disabled? I do and you know whats worse? The dozens of people clearly see you but still walk in front of your path requiring you to slam on the brakes all day!

    Response to safety:
    Segways have speed limiters on them they can make sure that you keep the speed to walking speed, and because you are upright it is easier for people to see you I cant tell you how many times people have walked into or even fallen on me when im in my electric wheelchair at Disneyland! Just like people shouldnt run and are told not to if they do, they can regulate segway usage. And as for Disabled users I really dont think people like me with crippling Central Nervous System degradation are going to be racing around hitting people! Also segways have a much small "footprint" than those huge Disney EVC wheelchairs.

    As for FDA approval was that meant to be a joke, I'm sorry but I guess I find everything the FDA does or does not do a joke.

    Also to ride on segways at either the demos or tour they make you sign a clause that you are responsible for your action on it I dont have a problem with signing that to use one as a disabled person who needs it to get around and who wants to be able to be upright and at eye level like everyone else and be able to move at the same walking speed as everyone else and be able to get around for a few hours instead of getting too tired after 30mins of trying to get around on foot.

    I have ridden a Segway several times and it is a little tiring like anything is after a while even sitting in a wheelchair but it is nothing compared to how tired I get just trying to walk around and when I do i have to go so slow that I have even had people complain about me moving so slow at Disneyland when I used to try and walk and I even had a cane before I begain using my wheelchair imagine that!

    Yes if you search online before you reply you find out how using a Segway by certain disabled people works well particulaly MS and CFIDS patients and is definetaly both beneficial and preferable to using an electric wheelchair.

    And for all those worries about the "deadly dangers of the dangerous segway mowing down people by reckless disabled people" at the helm give me a break, sure anything can cause problems, people can trip over a cane, of just plain fall over their own feet, I have used both and I find the wheelchair much more problematic and potentially dangerous in many ways. oh and the early segway had only two speeds which is the one used at the innoventions demos.

    To the guy with dents in his garage walls from riding his Segway, I have no doubt the SOME people cant use them without causing havoc, and certainly under no circumstances should the President ever be allowed on one .... again! lol


    After reading all the comments so far it is clear to me that:

    1. There are very little sympathetic views on this subject. Unless one is Disabled or knows a great deal about this subject they really shouldnt even comment or reply about it.
    2. IF you read them too dont you find it odd that almost all of them are attacking my position as a disabled person who wants to use the latest technology to make life more enjoyable and no one seems to see the hypocrisy in banning segway use by disabled people while turning around and making money off of offering $99 segway tours?!
    3. I have said what I have to say and I not going to follow my own thread here anymore.... its simply pointless, enjoy! :-)
    Last edited by GothicManor; 07-22-2007 at 11:27 AM. Reason: responses

  2. #2

    • no flash photography...
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    In my own little world..
    Posts
    13,287

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    I don't think anyone on this board can hazard I guess on what wakt would think. He didn't even desugn DL wheel char friendly.

    ay any rate, it sucks enough to be rammed by a power chair (EVC) I'm sure it's not to pleasnat to be rammed by a segway and add to that the possibility of the riders falling off. Then again if the person owns one they (hopefully) are skilled at using it unlike the day renter.

    I'm sure once they are FDA approved they will be allowed in. Are there any other theme parks allowiing segways in or for rent? When they first came out I heard vegas emntioned as a place to rent them due to all the walking. Are they all over the strip now? I havn't been to veagas in years.

    bout being hit by an electric wheelchair: Have you ever HAD to use one because you are disabled? I do and you know whats worse? The dozens of people clearly see you but still walk in front of your path requiring you to slam on the brakes all day!
    I'm have never accidently been hit by an evc, because I can see them and avoid them. I have been hit/mowed down by them when the person riding them appears to not care and is using it as a battering ram to get through crowded areas. I even had one lady scream at me to move out of her way when there was no where to go, beaause of the crowds at the time. My favorite was situation was asking an evc user me to move in a store while I'm looking at stuff, so I do, and they stop right where i was looking not allowing me any room to continue shopping. So, yes, I am sympathetic to disabled people, but I am NOT sympathtic to rude people whether they are abled or not. Sitting in a chair does not give you speacial rights and provilages it affords you equal rights and privlages. I'm sure it is difficult getting around DL in an EVC, but at times it is just as difficult to walk around DL, but I still do not yell and people and shove them out of my way out of frustration.
    Last edited by SCUBAbe; 07-22-2007 at 12:36 PM.

  3. #3

    • Boston born and raised
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Sox fan soon to move to Yankee territory... grrreat
    Posts
    8

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    I participated in a Segway tour around the WS at Epcot. As much as I loved this tour and enjoyed the expereince, the thought of having guests on them unsupervised (disabled or not) in the parks is a very unsettling feeling. Even if you were an experienced rider, the thought of guests "cutting you off" or creating a sudden hazard, would be enough to keep you away from the parks.

    And I assume they still dont let people like me with CFIDS that weakens muscles and causes very fast fatigue and loss of balance use a Segway to get around the park?
    Have you been on a Segway before? It took a lot of strength out of me to maintain my balance on those. I'm a young athlete (ice hockey player) and by the end of the 90 mins, my legs (especially my joints, from standing, and calf muscles) were aching. I would never want someone with a condition that weakens muscles, causes fatigue and loss of balance to ever get on a Segway. It just seems too dangerous and risky to me, especially when you factor in all the hazards of the DL park. The Segways are also extremely sensitive and even getting on and off can be a challenge. If you slightly lean to maintain balance and place some weight on your toes, the Segway moves forward, and fast depending on your speed setting. You can very easily "rock" back and forth trying to remian in one place.

    Please don't think I'm saying a disabled person should never ride a Segway... but I for one would prefer an EVC offer that Segway in the parks any day. As I said, even if you were an expereinced and comfortable rider, disabled or not, you'd ever to worry about the other guests in the park (and chidlren in particular) that could cause a hazard.

    As for vegas, the walkways were filled with EVC riders last time I was there for a conference. I don't recall even seeing a Segway.

    I loved the Segway tour and glad to see it's coming to DL!
    Conference at the Grand Floridian
    March 11 to 15, 2008
    another added bonus to having a math nerd as a boy friend
    Birthday at the Beach Club
    September 6 to 13, 2008
    drinking around the world to celebrate

  4. #4

    • done
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,331
    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    And I assume they still dont let people like me with CFIDS that weakens muscles and causes very fast fatigue and loss of balance use a Segway to get around the park?
    In your very own sentence, you've explained exactly why Disney, or any other company, wouldn't let someone who is unable to properly control a Segway, roam around on their property on a device where they have the ability to hurt themselves as well as others.

  5. #5

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    How do you balance on a Segway if you are disabled? You are basically standing around all day on it. Does it strap you in or something?

  6. #6

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    How do you balance on a Segway if you are disabled? You are basically standing around all day on it. Does it strap you in or something?
    Of course there are all kinds of disabilities and each with their limitations. If you have ridden a segway you will know that it takes a very slight movement of your whole body to make it move forward and back and there are many modifications being made to them by users and 3rd party companies for disabled users including seats etc. The machine itself is self balancing and will stay upright on its own so its gyroscope and software are in effect compensating for the area in my brain that controls balance is no longer functioning.

  7. #7

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    i cant think of any disabilities that someone could have where they could actually use a segway.

    disabilities that require wheelchairs but can also go on a segway

    please name some

  8. #8

    • Junior Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    85

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Disney doesn't even allow suitcases/bags with wheels to be allowed in the parks. I can't imagine getting my foot run over by a segway or my child getting her foot run over. There's no possible way those things would be safe in the large crowds of Disneyland. Can you imagine segways trying to get thru Adventureland on a busy day?

    Here's the problem I have with it. Segways were not meant to be used as a disabled conveyence. That being the case, couldn't anyone feign injury/disabled status and bring one in? Couldn't people who tire easily walking justify purchasing one and using it in the parks? I just don't see any reasonable way their use could be implemented without really bad consequences.

    ...and, you come on a Disney board and yet ask that there be no "bashing from those of you who aren't disabled". So, we can't disagree because we're not disabled? Your right to a segway in the park somehow negates our safety and the safety of our children and our opinion on the matter?

    Perhaps what Disney is saying regarding the FDA is that the device has not been classified as a disabled conveyance, which I would totally agree with. Just because the CM can't articulate that properly doesn't mean there's some big consipiracy against using segways for the general public in the parks.

  9. #9

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i cant think of any disabilities that someone could have where they could actually use a segway.

    disabilities that require wheelchairs but can also go on a segway

    please name some
    HI I did in my post, Multiple sclerosis and CFIDS, any illness that causes fatigue, muscle weakness and loss of balance are candidates and there are even amputees that use them see the link for draft on my site thanks.

  10. #10

    • DL ODV CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Rehabland
    Posts
    58

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Never gonna happen. Why? Top speed.

    The top speed of a Segway is 12.5 MPH (although Disney's are modified to run slower). The top speed of most ECVs is 5 MPH (and again, Disney's are modified to run slower).

    There is no conspiracy here, only concern for safety.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies.

  11. #11

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,638

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Does DCA's Segway tour happen during park hours?

  12. #12

    •   
    • Super Hero
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    848

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Having spent two-plus hours on a Segway last Monday, I can't see how someone with fatigue or loss of balance issues could last long on a Segway. You have to stand up (though we were told by the tour guides Segway now makes a sit-down, wheelchair-type Segway), which would seem to be hard on folks with fatigue issues. Segways have internal gyroscopes which BALANCE THE SEGWAY, not the rider. The rider HAS to stay balanced to operate the Segway, the Segway will NOT balance the rider. You lean forward and back to move forward and backwards, so again, balance is necessary.

    However, if Disney were to offer Segways to ride in the park, I'd be first in line!

  13. #13

    •   
    • Super Hero
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    848

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by SpokkerJones View Post
    Does DCA's Segway tour happen during park hours?
    No, the tour starts and 7 am and finished at 10, before DCA opens.

  14. #14

    • Welcome Foolish Mortals
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,115

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by Polar33 View Post
    Never gonna happen. Why? Top speed.

    The top speed of a Segway is 12.5 MPH (although Disney's are modified to run slower). The top speed of most ECVs is 5 MPH (and again, Disney's are modified to run slower).

    There is no conspiracy here, only concern for safety.
    Not so, the Segway has two speeds and you can limit it to only work in the slower speed which they do at the innovention demos.

    My ECV wheelchair goes 20 mph like alot of them do at fullspeed but like most if not all disabled people I dont race around running over people!

    And in case you are more likely to get hit by a kid running around unsupervised.

    Also segways are a fraction of the mass of a heavy ecv chair can cant really cause any injury in fact this is a falacy the notion if hitting people if you read in depth about segway accidents.

    trust me I have used both and a segway is much LESS likely to hit anyone and if it did it would do little or no injury compared to a 150+ pound wheelchair

  15. #15

    • Hiding from the Sheeple
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    591

    Re: Disney offers Expensive Segway tours of park but Denies Disabled Segway users!

    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    The machine itself is self balancing and will stay upright on its own so its gyroscope and software are in effect compensating for the area in my brain that controls balance is no longer functioning.
    Sorry, but I own a Segway and this is far from being the case. They are self balancing only to a certain extent. As you previously stated, the slightest body movement causes them to move. Your description above gives the impression that the Segway can stand on its own even without a rider. You still need an absolute sense of balance in order to maintain the Segway in an upright position.

    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    Not so, the Segway has two speeds and you can limit it to only work in the slower speed which they do at the innovention demos.
    Actually, Segway's have three keys for three different speeds. It may help your argument if you were truly more informed about this product.

    Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    My ECV wheelchair goes 20 mph like alot of them do at fullspeed but like most if not all disabled people I dont race around running over people!

    Also segways are a fraction of the mass of a heavy ecv chair can cant really cause any injury in fact this is a falacy the notion if hitting people if you read in depth about segway accidents.

    trust me I have used both and a segway is much LESS likely to hit anyone and if it did it would do little or no injury compared to a 150+ pound wheelchair
    This is simply wrong, I would be happy to show you the holes in my garage walls caused by a Segway.

Page 1 of 12 123411 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Disney World vs Segway lawsuit settled
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 11:59 AM
  2. Judge dismisses lawsuit against Disney over Segway usage.
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 11:23 PM
  3. Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-22-2007, 09:28 AM
  4. More Segway Tours To Be Offered Outside Of Epcot
    By tjcjr in forum Walt Disney World Resort
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-13-2007, 09:49 AM
  5. How about Segway Tours for DL or DCA?
    By ganggreen4jc in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-08-2005, 06:22 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •