Not to burst the excitement Bubble about the new Segway tours and Don't get me wrong I love WALT'S Disneyland and I think everyone should be able to ride Segways anywhere they want to, but is anyone aware of or bothered by the fact that the Disney Company both promotes Segway Technology, and offers expensive Segway tours BUT DENIES SEGWAY ACCESS FOR THE DISABLED!:
1. In Innoventions they HAD ride on demonstrations of Segways as the new futuristic alternative to human transportation and also had an I-Bot Two Wheeled Wheel chair concept by Kamen as well then....
2. When users of Segways that use them instead of wheelchairs because they are disabled with illnesses like Multiple Sclerosis of CFIDS try to bring their Segways into Disneyland, management refuses to let them do so, using the excuse they are not FDA (FDA what a joke) approved! Even tho they are approved and recommended by MS association!
3. Segway demos mysteriously dissapear from Innoventions...hmm
4. Now they are offering 1hr (actually only one hour ride time) Segway tours for $99! Hmmmmmmm
And I assume they still dont let people like me with CFIDS that weakens muscles and causes very fast fatigue and loss of balance use a Segway to get around the park? So Disabled people who have wanted new 21st century technology to eleviate their symptoms and allow them to get around like everyone else, to be at normal eye height again when you move around have to be forced to resort to 19th century wheelchairs and pay $35 plus $20 deposit to use a Disney approved power chair? Hmmmmm
Also I am pretty sure that if he were alive Mr. Disney who was always at least 50 yrs ahead of his time would welcome Segway usage day one especially for the Disabled.
Just thought I would mention this to all those who might not be aware of the facts.
And please no bashing by hardcore Disney fans WHO ARE NOT DISABLED and have no idea what its like, thank you very much.
Here are some links about this issue:
MSN article on Disney banning Disabled Segway users
Reply to comments so far:
About being hit by an electric wheelchair: Have you ever HAD to use one because you are disabled? I do and you know whats worse? The dozens of people clearly see you but still walk in front of your path requiring you to slam on the brakes all day!
Response to safety:
Segways have speed limiters on them they can make sure that you keep the speed to walking speed, and because you are upright it is easier for people to see you I cant tell you how many times people have walked into or even fallen on me when im in my electric wheelchair at Disneyland! Just like people shouldnt run and are told not to if they do, they can regulate segway usage. And as for Disabled users I really dont think people like me with crippling Central Nervous System degradation are going to be racing around hitting people! Also segways have a much small "footprint" than those huge Disney EVC wheelchairs.
As for FDA approval was that meant to be a joke, I'm sorry but I guess I find everything the FDA does or does not do a joke.
Also to ride on segways at either the demos or tour they make you sign a clause that you are responsible for your action on it I dont have a problem with signing that to use one as a disabled person who needs it to get around and who wants to be able to be upright and at eye level like everyone else and be able to move at the same walking speed as everyone else and be able to get around for a few hours instead of getting too tired after 30mins of trying to get around on foot.
I have ridden a Segway several times and it is a little tiring like anything is after a while even sitting in a wheelchair but it is nothing compared to how tired I get just trying to walk around and when I do i have to go so slow that I have even had people complain about me moving so slow at Disneyland when I used to try and walk and I even had a cane before I begain using my wheelchair imagine that!
Yes if you search online before you reply you find out how using a Segway by certain disabled people works well particulaly MS and CFIDS patients and is definetaly both beneficial and preferable to using an electric wheelchair.
And for all those worries about the "deadly dangers of the dangerous segway mowing down people by reckless disabled people" at the helm give me a break, sure anything can cause problems, people can trip over a cane, of just plain fall over their own feet, I have used both and I find the wheelchair much more problematic and potentially dangerous in many ways. oh and the early segway had only two speeds which is the one used at the innoventions demos.
To the guy with dents in his garage walls from riding his Segway, I have no doubt the SOME people cant use them without causing havoc, and certainly under no circumstances should the President ever be allowed on one .... again! lol
After reading all the comments so far it is clear to me that:
1. There are very little sympathetic views on this subject. Unless one is Disabled or knows a great deal about this subject they really shouldnt even comment or reply about it.
2. IF you read them too dont you find it odd that almost all of them are attacking my position as a disabled person who wants to use the latest technology to make life more enjoyable and no one seems to see the hypocrisy in banning segway use by disabled people while turning around and making money off of offering $99 segway tours?!
3. I have said what I have to say and I not going to follow my own thread here anymore.... its simply pointless, enjoy! :-)