Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Welcome Foolish Mortals

The World of Tomorrowland: Is it Chevron sponsered gas powered cars?!

Am I the only one or does it seem a bit ODD that in the World of Tomorrowland the future we will be driving noisy smelly poluting gas guzzling cars sponsored by an oil company?!

Maybe it would be possible to IMAGINEER a cool futuristic looking vehicle that oh I dont know runs on maybe electricity, maybe powered by areas of the track that might be lit up from below with a green arrow patter using electroluminescent panels and use electromagnetic induction to charge the batteries like the vehicles in the energy pavillion at epcot, this way there would be no need either for a barrier in the middle of the road, you will be able to steer but if you steer too far off the wire embeded in the road it will correct or limit the steering and has cool features like neat EL lighting and sound efx maybe even an onboard simulated computer nav voice, and runs around a road that oh I dont know maybe has slightly scaled down futuristic looking buildings with lights, sound and animation to drive by? All these would also be visible and heard from the monorail and any new ride using the peoplemover track and really make that are of Tomorrowland come alive again.

And all this could be solar powered as suggested as for the cost of this thats what corporate sponsorship is for, they did it at Universal where they have many banks of solar panels, in fact why isnt all of tomorrowland's roofs covered in corp sponsored panels?!

Just a thought....
    Last edited by GothicManor; 07-22-2007 at 10:18 AM. Reason: good suggestion

• Minion

Re: The World of Tomorrowland: Is it Chevron sponsered gas powered cars?!

eh id rather have solar powered, way more futuristic and they could design a really cool building with solar panels stuck all over it. But since solar panels are still expensive im sure disney will cheap out and go electric.

im sure something will happen to autopia when tomorrowland gets in refurb in 2009

There will always be the thoughts of "they should do this" and "they could have done this," but inevitably it doesn't matter. The park will never be in an ideal state and you just have to accept that.
    "My coattails are getting dirty." -Brandon Flowers

I wish they'd just bulldoze the whole track and put in something completely different.

• Canon DSLR Professional

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    There will always be the thoughts of "they should do this" and "they could have done this," but inevitably it doesn't matter. The park will never be in an ideal state and you just have to accept that.
    Accepted
    Vance DeBar "Pinto" Colvig was born on September 11, 1892. I was born on September 11, 1959. Goofy huh?
    OOPS.....

• been away for a while

Carson City Nevada , no it's not near Vegas

we could all drive hydrogen powered BMWs on the Autopia

My Maleficent tattoo

• Mickey Mouse Slave

Quote Originally Posted by GrimmGreen View Post
    we could all drive hydrogen powered BMWs on the Autopia
    but then they dont go fast enough for us to attempt to flip them!
    ~ A Cute, Little, Fuzzy, Silly, and Chubby Cast Member ~

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by pinkertonfloyd View Post
    I wish they'd just bulldoze the whole track and put in something completely different.
    Same here.

• Done waiting!!

The problem is the sponsorship deal with Chevron lasts thru 2009 or 2010 I think, and a major petroleum company isn't going to want to fuel their cars with anything but gas. It'd be like McDonalds sponsoring a restaurant that served steak dinners. After the contract runs out look to see someone like Honda come in and five it its much-needed breath of fresh (exhaust-free) air. This was just yet another money-grab during the "New" Tomorrowland project.
    I'm literally a born Disney fan! I was born at Providence St. Joseph Med Center right across the street from Disney Studios in Burbank. The same hospital where Walt died.

By the way my shirt in the pic says "I like big sharks and I cannot lie"

• MiceChat Moderator
    • Starcruiser.. crash crash

Sponsorships are nothing new and we'll just have to accept the Chevron take-over for the time being. Funny enough, out of all the gas stations, I do like Chevron the most and they do tie-in to family entertainment with more ease.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
    http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

The origin for Autopia is way back in 1955 the future of transportation WAS a freeway system of automobiles! Then mass transit ideas came along like the monorail and peoplemover which were planned to be used by Walt for his EPCOT city where cars werent to be allowed except in underground tunnels out of sight, the idea was if you had to go far fast you would take a monorail, then to get a local destination take a peoplemover, then a moving sidewalk, well the folks at Disneyland have done away with the moving ramps or sidewalks and the peoplemover for now.

I see no reason for not keeping some sort of transportation system like the autopia be even in some of Walt's own old animations including ones used for the Rocket Rods queue they probably made back in the fiftys it did show the family car or pod that was fueled electically in the garage then it drove itself to work while the rider read the paper or some such..... surely the autopia can be reworked into a view of what our current transportation may evolve into say in 20 yrs hence? Since we will most likely still use autos for a while longer...

As for just accepting things as they are and not dreaming up new ideas well if we all did that there would be no Disneyland or anything else we would still be trying to bang rocks together to try and make a fire!

Btw I do have a comment on the steak dinner comment which is not related but in its own way it is. Do you know that 30% of all greenhouse global warming gasses come out of the butts of cows!! Its true and whats more alarming the primary reason for clear cutting all the rainforests is to guess what? raise cattle!

So unless we want Disneyland to become a seaside resort (which actually might not be that bad they aready have a boardwalk at DCA lol) since it is at 144 ft elevation and the oceans are expected to rise 100 ft I suggest you lay off the steak and McDonalds and the Chevron and all Gas!

The point is folks does this represent our hopes for the future for Tomorrowland?

• Minion

lets NOT turn this into a global warming thread

• MA Reader Since 2003

Quote Originally Posted by patch View Post
    Yeah but thats no fun.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by GothicManor View Post
    So unless we want Disneyland to become a seaside resort (which actually might not be that bad they aready have a boardwalk at DCA lol) since it is at 144 ft elevation and the oceans are expected to rise 100 ft I suggest you lay off the steak and McDonalds and the Chevron and all Gas!
    Do you have any statistics for how much energy could be saved and how much carbon could be prevented from entering the atmosphere if we all turned off our computers and modems and read a book instead? How much damage to the environment have you done in the last year by posting here?

Just wonderin' what the stats are on that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Westsider View Post
    Do you have any statistics for how much energy could be saved and how much carbon could be prevented from entering the atmosphere if we all turned off our computers and modems and read a book instead? How much damage to the environment have you done in the last year by posting here?

Just wonderin' what the stats are on that sort of thing.
    How many trees were cut down to make those books! lol

I hear you just couldnt resist, one can go nuts trying to calculate the carbon footprint of every action but then we would live for the margins and its best to just use common sense....

if your buying a new car why on earth buy anything other than a prius at this time?

if you own a home and solar panels now basically pay for themselves why not have them installed

etc etc

we can make the change

we just need to ignore the advertising environment we are saturated with and do the right thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast