Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Staking out seats for Fantasmic - timing/ etiquette question

Okay, got a question for all you - how early before Fantasmic should you arrive back at your pre-positioned blanket/tarp/towel?

Yesterday (Saturday), we staked out our seats around 6pm - we had rode all the rides we wanted to, getting tired, etc etc. We were in what would be considered the 2nd row. There was a blanket laid out right in front of us - all the other front row spots were taken too so we thought nothing of it.

The guy sitting to the left of the spot said that when he came at 3 or 4 (I forget), the people were putting down the blanket. Nobody came back to the spot during the whole time we were sitting there.

Everyone sitting around the area thought "hmmm, maybe they forgot?" Or perhaps found a different spot. Considering there were lots of people milling around trying to find seats, I thought about asking a CM - to see if maybe another group should sit there (or like for the rest of us to move up so more people could fill in).

Until 10 minutes before the show started - lady and her 4 kids came a-blazing, stepping on people's blankets/tarps to get to their spot. It doesn't seem fair that someone can do that - at least have 1 person watch the spot. What if they never came back and a perfectly good spot is wasted?

So here's my question - what time should you return to your spot by? An hour prior? 30 minutes? Everyone else was pretty much in the area by 8pm, except for like a couple of people getting food for their group or whatnot.

A side note - we saw some other spots "saved" by pieces of clothing. Like with kids' sweatpants and sweatshirts. The clothes were there when we sat down and there wasn't people around (waiting with the clothes). What's up with that?!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

Re: Staking out seats for Fantasmic - timing/ etiquette question

This looks like a job for: DAN - TASMIC!!!

When I worked Fantasmic!, people start setting up about 4 hours prior to show time!! Crazy, I know, I wouldn't do that. It starts to fill up between 7:30 to 8:00 P.M after the parade ends. That what happens. For the 9:00 P.M show, I say be there an hour to an hour and a half before and for the 10:30 P.M showing, you can get there 30 minutes before to get a goosd spot.

The rule about saving spots is that at LEAST one person has to watch the spot while the rest of the group does something else, like ride rides or gets food. If left unattended, it can be considered a safety hazard and security has to be called in. I saw this happen a lot of times. One time, a mother left her stuff to get food while her family ride rides and other people informed me so I moved it! When she got back, she was pissed and I told her not to leave it behind. i agree, it's not fair for others if you leave you spot behind to "save" your spot while you go somewhere else.

Its good to know they will do something, I have seen people leave motel room towels and just leave and come back right before the show. If you want to camp a spot for a show or parade thats fine with me, but someone needs to be there. I have seen the area in front of Rivers jammed up with towels and blankets and no people as early as 5:00 pm for Fantasmic, too bad Disney doesnt put a stop to this and tell everyone one hour before the show.
    Steve

I would say if you weren't physically there to bad. A towel/tarp/blanket/whatever is not an appropriate way to save a space. How do the rest of us know who put it there and why? I would think that if there is not a body at the spot, it's not saved.
    I agree that there should be some sort of time line up frame for seating.

• Minion

Last time I was at Disneyland, we found a GREAT spot about 2 hours before the show. The front rows were already taken, so we felt pretty happy to be getting this spot. As I sat down, I found out WHY this spot was open. The vent for the underground was blowing air directly on us, and it was cold air on a cold night. It seemed unbearable. My fiance wanted to find another spot. I told her to sit with me, it will be okay. She sat, it blew and she doubted. Understandably so. She went to get food, figuring I can deal with the tornado and she would escape some of it. Then it happened. Another family, wanting a great spot sat down behind me. They blocked the wind. His wife gave him the look and he looked at me... I tried to reassure him with a smile. Soon, someone sat behind THEM. I wish I could tell you this story resulted in a GREAT view of Fantasmic. Sadly, after waiting the two hours...the show was cancelled. Sigh. It was a GREAT view for the fireworks though.

I agree....set up as early as you like but at least one person has to be there...and make sure you save enough room for everyone...I hate it when too many people try to cram in to too small a space minutes before the show starts.

I occurs to me that this is similar to another thread about linejumpers....It doesn't bother me that people save spots for their family for a show...but irritates the heck out of me if they do it in line for a ride...any .05 shrinks out there care to explain this bit of psychosis?? maybe I'm just odd...
    ~~Second star to the right and straight on til morning~~

5 out of 4 people have a problem with fractions :confused:

Yup. At least 1 person needs to stay.
    Seriously though, people will start saving at 5:00, around when the first shift gets there. It's crazy.

• MA Reader Since 2003

When someone does that you should just take their towel or whatever and kindly move it to the backuntil they finally show up.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Knight that says Nee!!

Fantasmic ettiquette? Sure, here it is: "crush your enimies, see them driven before you!"

Ok, just kidding...the earliest we have ever laid a blanket down is about 2 hours before the show and there is always one person on the blanket. We even go so far as having one person stay per blanket we put down during times that we visit and are part of a larger group.

• itty bitty

Blog Entries

Meh, as long as theres someone from the group there I dont see the big deal.
    "I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. "Groucho Marx

• Pilot EdForceOne

blanket with no one on it for more then 5 mins = trash
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Progressive Disneylander

I would have no problem folding it up into a 12x12 square or kicking it into a ball if no one was there to stake claim to a towel or blanket after 10 minutes.

Personally, I think it would be better if a CM would take care of 'abandoned' blankets and such. The person leaving them behind might not see them as 'abandoned', but that's what they are to everyone else.

Just like at a general admission concert, you have to put in the time and effort if you want to have a good viewing spot.

• Ok time for cocoa

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    blanket with no one on it for more then 5 mins = trash
    Lost and found, it was obviously and erroneously dropped. Probably off one of those large 4 wheel drive strollers.
    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.

What I usually do is after the 1st show... and during the fireworks... I work my way to the are where I want to be, and after the fireworks when guests leave I make my way up to the front. I get the very front everytime... and the best thing is you dont have to wait hours!

• Banned User

Disneyland, I Go So Much Might As Well Live There!
    Blog Entries

The one thing that gets me is locked up strollers before Fantamic! They are locked up to a railing, pole, rope, or anything. We have to call Security to have them cut the lock so we can move the stroller. The good thing is it locked to a rope or pole, we can easly unhook the rope or lift up the pole to remove the lock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast