Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

• Gobble GOBBLE

Pick It Up or Leave It?; or Do You Really Love Disneyland?

It is more of a rhetorical question, but how much do you really love Disneyland?

Do you pick up that popcorn bag caught in a shrub, or do you walk on by? How often do you return a fallen plush toy to its proper place while strolling through the Emporium? Do you dry off the counter around the sink in your favorite ďsecret bathroom,Ē or do you leave it for the custodial staff?

I realize Cast Members overall do a fine job keeping the Park looking grand, but they canít be everywhere all the time. And as a paying Guest, Iím certain Disney does not want you to do these things.

But what if the Park was yours? The apartment over the firehouse, you owned it. Would you look at the Park differently? I guess by definition you would. But would you still leave that piece of trash on the ground, or would you pick it up if it was your park?

Now Iím not advocating bringing your paint brush on your next visit to do some touch up work on scraped rails. And the vigilantes documenting disrepair around the Park online have proven to be effective. But as a fan of the Park, if you truly loved Disneylnd, would you pick up that piece of trash, or would you leave it where it lies?
    That was wonderful! Bravo! I loved that! Ah, that was great! Well, it was pretty good. Well, it wasn't bad. Uh, there were parts of it that weren't very good though. It could have been a lot better. I didn't really like it. It was pretty terrible. It was bad. It was awful! It was terrible! Take 'em away! Boo! Boo!

• Resident DL'er

Re: Pick It Up or Leave It?; or Do You Really Love Disneyland?

If someone I went to the park with threw a spoon or a container onto the ground, I'd pick up after them and throw it out. But if it was already on the ground from some stranger littering there, I don't think I would go out of my way to pick it up.

• =)

It's a valid and interesting point. I guess it's human nature to say, "Well, it's really not my fault it's there, and it's not bothering me that much...so I guess I won't bother..."

I know that I personally will occasionally pick up others' trash, particularly if I just saw it dropped or if it's quite obtrusive. Luckily, I've never had much of a problem with cleanliness in the park--in fact, my big concern has never been trash and spilt water and fallen merchandise, but simply the fact that millions of people have touched every surface. The germophobe in me reminds me just how many wonderful and variegated microscopic creatures could be lurking on the Doombuggy safety bar, on the tea cup wheel, on the bench I'm sitting on, etc. Honestly, this is on my mind a lot more. I don't think the CMs go through the park with disinfecting wipes on every surface. Not saying they should, by the way--just that for me, it's a bigger concern than the occasional piece of trash.

Oh yeah, and vomit. That's always unpleasant to come across in the park, but there's really nothing I can do to get rid of it, short of jumping a custodian and stealing his mop...or licking the mess all up.

• time to go

Quote Originally Posted by NapoleonD View Post
    But as a fan of the Park, if you truly loved Disneylnd, would you pick up that piece of trash, or would you leave it where it lies?
    Question: While you're strolling around DL and noticing all this trash on the ground... did you pay to get into the park, or did Disney allow you to visit for free?

I love Pac Bell/SBC/AT&T Park. It's the most beautiful baseball park in the country. The view of the bay and the Bay Bridge from the far right field upper decks is gorgeous.

But I pay dearly to attend Giants games. Right through the nose, even before the outrageous cost of food and souvenirs. The Giants aren't cutting me any slack in their admission prices, so why should I cut them any slack in custodial services?

If anyone believes that helping corporate entities worry less about their custodial staffing needs by picking up trash they see on the ground is a good thing, then they've got bigger problems to address. Namely, that they're being taken advantage of by individuals with lesser scruples.

Disney theme parks ain't cheap.

Please quit making it easier for them to pump up the bottom line because you see Disneyland as more of a national monument to be preserved than a business being operated to make WDC shareholders rich.

• Canon DSLR Professional

I was on the morning Walk in Walt's Footsteps tour (7/7/07) when our guide approached a couple smoking in a non smoking area. After being informed they were in a non smoking area, one of them crushed the cigarette under foot and started to walk away and I chimed in with 'could you pick that up and throw it away'? They were seemingly embarrassed enough...but it only seemed the right thing to say.
    Vance DeBar "Pinto" Colvig was born on September 11, 1892. I was born on September 11, 1959. Goofy huh?
    OOPS.....

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

If I have to go really out of my way to pick something up, I won't, but if it's just right there, I will because why should I let just one more person see it before a custodian picks it up? There always seem to be people cleaning the bathrooms, but I hate seeing water or paper towels on the counters, so no matter where I am, I'll clean them up at least a little bit.

• Minion

During the darkest days of the Eisnerist/Presslerist era, I fished an empty six pack of beer cans, still attached to the plastic binder, out of Snow White's Wishing Well. I took it into Fantasyland and handed it to a grateful cast member and we both shook our heads sadly.

• rainy day girl

Blog Entries

I am not one who runs around the park picking up after others who have the classlessness to litter. Maybe it makes me less of a DL fan, or whatever, but I don't.

Do I litter at DL? Nope. I do my share to keep the park clean, I use the designated trash receptacles, etc.

I agree 100% with BlueSkyDriveBy.
    Looking for the truth about giraffes? http://www.menacinggiraffes.blogspot.com/

• Banned User

I do this in Disneyland, not in DCA

• Drunk On Disney!

I always pick garbage up up when I find it.

• 10 years...

After formerly working nearly ten years in the stores in Disneyland I do tend to pick up that "fallen plush toy" out of habit.

• Minion

If we all picked up litter, we would sadly put quite a few CM's out of a job! They have hungry mouths too feed at home. Do you want to take someones job away? I would hope not!

If I was with a friend at the park, and I saw them litter, I would MAKE them pick it up. There is no excuse for that! I pick my friends, and I dont pick people who would litter at a place like Disneyland. On the otherhand, if I saw some stranger litter, I would give them an ugly look, but not pick up after them. Im not responsable for them, im not getting paid for it, and I dont know what sort of germs they have. If I see trash on the ground, im not going to take someones job away. Disney's staff does a good job keeping things clean, so I will let them keep there job... For now.

I always pick up trash, and have on occasion put something back on a shelf in one of the shops.

• Circle of Ancients

I don't quite get the connection....

Are you saying that if I don't pick up someone else's trash or clean up after someone else's mess , that means I don't love Disneyland?

I clean up after myself ,my husband cleans up after himself, my kids clean up after themselves , my friends clean up after themselves, and my smoking friends smoke where they're allowed to smoke. That's how we all show our respect for DL and any other public or private place.

I would probably pick up a piece of garbage or pick up a toy or wipe off a sink at DL , but if I don't , that doesn't mean I don't love DL. And if it's a disgusting mess that I happen to see, I will inform a CM, but I'm not going to take it upon myself to clean it up...example: I once saw a poopy diaper that had been left under a bench on the train.

Like someone said earlier, we pay to be guests at DL...we can be polite guests, and if a guest happens to make a mess without realizing he/she is doing so, I think the host (DL employees) and not other guests then have the responsibility of cleaning up the mess.

• Minion

now the real question is

what would walt want us to do?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast