View Poll Results: Which type of sub would you have wanted?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nemo Subs

18 27.27%
  • Classic Yellow Subs

10 15.15%
  • Old School Grays

16 24.24%
  • Atlantis/Nautilus/New concept

22 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• "I Break Things"

WHich Physical Sub would you have liked to see?

This was inspired from the responses on other threads and a special on PBS. People commented about a variety of features and flaws in regards to Nemo, but the subs stand out. Some people love the catroony look, others wanted the Atlantis feel. Some MC's miss the old yellow subs and their names, others go even farther back to the original paint job.

PBS had a special about a millionaire who wanted to build a private sub. Instead of going with the standard designs he made up his own. They used 2 large acrylic bubbles, joined at the center and sandwiched them between the top deck and steel hull. This technique offered amazing floor to ceiling views and has allowed researchers to study marine life in a "moving aquarium". Because of this design you are no longer limited by small tiny windows into the outside. The weakness is that you can't dive as deep... but for tropic seas the view can't be beat.

My belief is that the subs took the cheap way out. Instead of designing a new sub they just reused the standard model that has been around for decades. I would love to have seen a combination of this bubble sub and the Nautilus. Instead of being limited by small tiny windows you would be presented by a complete view. The equivalent of being IN the water, but still being dry.

To those who do not believe that Subs are "modern" enough to be in Tomorrowland I offer this. The deep ocean is the largest unexplored frontier left on Earth. It is believed that it ties the rainforest in "yet to be discovered species" and offers the best chance of larger undiscovered species (rainforest is mainly amphibians, arachnids, and insects). Underwater exploration may be ancient, but it is just as exciting and scientifically important as space exploration. In a world dominated by water... it makes sense to try and find out what's actually in it.

I put a banner that shows the sub and link to the actual PBS summary of the submarine episode farther down on the board!
    Last edited by techskip; 07-23-2007 at 07:23 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Minion

Re: WHich Physical Sub would you have liked to see?

i never even thought about the subs looking bad or not being creative, i voted for new concept because of course id like a new concept but theres only so much a disneyland submarine can look like that matches nemo.

i think they look great though

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    i never even thought about the subs looking bad or not being creative, i voted for new concept because of course id like a new concept but theres only so much a disneyland submarine can look like that matches nemo.

i think they look great though
    Not to play Devil's Advocate but how could they not match Finding Nemo... Nemo's in the water, Tomorrowland is on top. Provided the concept isn't completely outlandish it anything would match Nemo, it's Tomorrowland that's a harder sell. IMO Disney sold out and went with the yellow subs because that is what everyone remembers and identifies with. They went with what was popular.

• Minion

well they ruined the whole seriousness of "undersea exploring" by adding nemo so a kind of whimsical fun looking sub matches better than something like this http://www.tracone.com/the_unexplain...atlantis-1.jpg or this http://www.vulcaniasubmarine.com/WAL...s/image004.jpg

• Collision speed....FULL!

Hey, you forgot the pastel subs from '86!

Photos: milo

Photos: PhaseBlue

I like the new color scheme, with the blue strips at the waterline, liked it so much I chose it to be the first sub scheme to model...

Submarine Voyage Model

• "I Break Things"

I just wanted to show you what I was talking about and what is possible. This is the banner and link to the PBS website I described above

• Animatronic

I prefered the gray subs because, well, that's what they look like. Small military subs. The subs also matched the gray northern rockwork. The lame post '86 paint jobs just didn't work. The Nemo subs once again show a unified design and I'm pleased cosmetically. I'm not big on the story, or the wet for dry, or the projections, but the color scheme is the best they've had since the original.

• Vegetarian Disneylander

Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Atlantis/Nautilus for me, mainly because I've always loved the Jules Verne-esque/turn of the century designs of the fantasy Victorian era stuff. It is probably why I love Main Street so much. Mind you, it would be 'retro' rather than 'tomorrow', but I've always loved the concept of Tomorrowland as a retro-future anyway, much like Discoveryland in Paris.

Les Mystères du Nautilus is a 'mere' walk-through attraction, but the design looks beautiful:

http://parks.disneylandparis.co.uk/d...nautilus.xhtml

Can't wait to get there one day...
    “I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.” - Bill Hicks

• "I Break Things"

Just wanted to say thank you. I would say use this picture you linked as Inspiration. Below the watermark ditch the ENTIRE hull. Make it Acrylic, make the view from watermark to floor. With the "floor" being an island of steel, a footpath and a seat on either side. Instead of shoving your head into a small window you can look left, right, up or down. You could properly gauge the length and size of any animal within view. How impressive would that old Sea Serpent be if you could see it tip to tip? It would be the comparison of looking at a fishbowl vs going to an Aquarium.

I also feel that Disney missed an amazing opportunity to make possibly the greatest Dining experience. Make an underground restaurant with a floor to ceiling view of this gigantic aquarium.

• Banned User

Give me those old school military grays. I always thought they looked regal.

• MA Reader Since 2003

Actually that would have been awesome it also would have took care of the Tomorrow land issue to some degree. Those new submersivals are really cool with the big open front window and they could have put more of these on the track that may have even boosted capacity (not sure about this) and the ride would aslo have felt more personal.

But I am really just glad the subs are back in any form.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    I also feel that Disney missed an amazing opportunity to make possibly the greatest Dining experience. Make an underground restaurant with a floor to ceiling view of this gigantic aquarium.
    True. But even so the food would still probably suck!

Ok. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Not to play Devil's Advocate but how could they not match Finding Nemo... Nemo's in the water, Tomorrowland is on top. Provided the concept isn't completely outlandish it anything would match Nemo, it's Tomorrowland that's a harder sell. IMO Disney sold out and went with the yellow subs because that is what everyone remembers and identifies with. They went with what was popular.
    To me it is more likely that Disney wanted to give the subs a scientific, exploratory look, rather than a military grey. I liked the greys...
    Last edited by fo'c's'le swab; 07-24-2007 at 07:32 AM.

• Closed Account

I agree with Swab. The yellow subs impart the look of modern exploration vessels.

But...the gray subs rocked!

• Pilot EdForceOne

While the panaromic views offered by the subs in the OP would be nice for sea exploration... we are talking about a 'show' here. Part of the show often concerns controlling what guests see or do not see. I can see the benefits of the porthole vs space-age stuff.

Clear views are always more impressive (clear covered walkways on the floor of aquariums for instance) but that may not be the actual view you are going for.

Considering Disney was going for the 'return of the subs' kind of notion, I don't have a problem with the sub formfactors not dramatically changing.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast