Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Former Epcot CM

All this PeopleMover fuss will do no good to anyones health

Okay, I have a bad feeling about this post.

I have just read the thread about new PeopleMover speculation. I was, too, excited, but then it hit me.

Is it worth the PeopleMover coming back? (waiting for )

The PeopleMover was a symbol of Tomorrowland for forty years, giving guests a beautiful vista of Walt's Magic Kingdom. But in today's age, will it breath new life into a fifty-year old park? It was replaced with the Rocket Rods to get new guests into the park, and clearly it didn't work. Yes, a return for the PeopleMover will be a victory for Disney fans all over the world, but will it get NEW guests into the park? It will sure bring in guests for who the PeopleMover is a large part of childhood Disneyland memories, but what about NEW guests, guests who have never set foot in Disneyland? The type of people Michael Eisner, Bob Iger, Jay Rasulo and yes, Matt Ouimet, want in the Disneyland Resort.

All new attractions are opened at Disneyland with getting new guests in the park in mind. And most work. But I cannot see a slow moving form of TRANSPORTATION bringing guests, old and young, into the park in the long run. I have heard many people going back on what they have said (these people would die for a PeopleMover return) that it is a huge slice of Disneyland nostalgia, but before it closed, they didn't visit it that much, like you would Space Mountain, the Haunted Mansion etc.

Please, do not revile me for my views. I would love your thoughts though. And whatever you do, do not take my comments as an attack, because it would be brilliant to see the PeopleMover back in Disneyland, I am trying to say I cannot see a suitable reason (from Disney's point of view, the people who can make it happen) to bring it back.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• The one, the only...

I think that you are right that just bringing the old peoplemover back is not going to bring in crowds, but do they need to bring in crowds? Right now attendance is had a high. People are flocking to the park for the 50th.

I see this as a maintenance problem. All that track is sitting up there and no one is using it. It is sort of an eyesore unless they use it for something.

I doubt that they will do any fast ride like Rocket Rods. A slow ride that had newly designed, modern, colorful vehicles would be fine.

The current situation of the track being there and nothing running on it is like going to a museum and seeing a frame on the wall without a picture in it. Everyone knows that something is missing.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

• Hooterville, USA

<<but will it get NEW guests into the park?>>

I don't think they are having trouble bringing guests to the park. They have a problem with guest distribution within the park. Think of it like the monorail or train or even IASM. These are not great rides, but they are always full. Add the Peoplemover and there will be less people in other lines.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Minion

Will a new PeopleMover draw new guests in itself, no perhaps - - but returning guests, yes. People want to pass a whole and thriving Tomorrowland to their children - - and need it for their own sense of continuity. A dead track does not provide this...

The WHOLE of Disneyland and the Disneyland experience is key to the feelings of comfort and nostalgia and sentiment that Disneyland provides... this is what keeps generations of visitors, regular/casual/occasional coming back year after year.

Obviously, the experience of Disneyland should be added to to be made fresh, with new and exciting and marketable things - - but the wholeness and completeness and detail of the traditional Disneyland experience must be maintained first and foremost. What happened in recent years is that a dying Tomorrowland and abandoned attractions and missing old favorites and weak replacements have created a "dying Disneyland" mode of conversation, not just among fans, but among many who return to recconect with their inner child only to find the Swiss Family Robinson or Skyway or PeopleMover missing and replaced with nothing. They care.

A maintained Disneyland is like having your childhood memories intact - - that box of junk and childish treasures under your bed you may not visit often, but when you do it is resonant.

If it were just about new, marketable attractions, DCA would have pulled them in with Tower of Terror - - they did not. people come to visit Disneyland and they want it to be living, vital, fresh as their memories of childhood -- as well as new and growing. What they don't want is to find an appendage lopped-off or a momento thrown away.

The PeopleMover, Submarines, Skyway, Golden Horseshoe, Country Bears, et al should remain part of this wonderful tapestry that visitors treasure. They are coming back for the entirety of the DL experience, not PeopleMover itself - - yet that WAS part of the entirety of the experience, along with the rest. If its missing - its missing.

The only way around this is to provide something better in its place, which Disney has failed to do repeatedly in recent years - more often they have provided nothing at all.

Your view of marketing is entirely too narrow. The Big Picture is very important to Disneyland's health.
    Last edited by merlinjones; 07-03-2005 at 07:25 AM.

• is FIERCE!

Blog Entries
    The rocket Rods would have brought more guests in if they had worked- I loved them and a lot of people think they were a great idea- but they just weren't open long enough to make any kind of noticable difference. If they had been imagineered a little better- they would probably still be around and we wouldn't be talking about the peoplemover coming back at all.

But something needs to go there- the tracks have stood empty too long. It is to the point where guests don't even wonder if anything will ever been up there, its just another pointmess part of a mostly pointless land. The peoplemover will be a good thing for Tomorrowland- manily because the ride system is reliable, it won't break down, it will get people off the walkways and bring some activity to the area, all arguments that that been used before.

I would rather see them put something up there that they know will work, then risk another collosal failure like the Rocket Rods were.
    Check out the News Forum for the latest news with a Micechat twist!

Do you MiceChat?
    Help support the site you love:
    -Visit the MiceChat store
    Make a donation with one of the boxes at the bottom of the page

DMCA for life, yo.
    MCDA- Bringin' sexyback, one pound at a time.

• Minion

I agree the rocket rods could have succeeded, with better imagineering, but it was done on the cheap.

I think the people mover will do what it always did, provide a nice little rest, and a glimpse of the park at a slower pace, like the train.
    anything up and running, giving people more places to spread out to, breaking up the crowd a little more, will help crowded conditions. An updated People mover will be a plus!

I think people will come to the park for at least the 18-month long celebration period.
    They need to concentrate on fixing DCA, then work on a new attraction for DL.
    Now thats not asking too much is it?

I think if they make the peoplemover into a futuristic peoplemover so that it fits in the land it should be fine. It should also take people off the walkways because after all they would be riding a peoplemover of the future.

• Minion

Either way, something needs to go up on those tracks. The Peoplemover does need a revival...
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

• People move me

Hmm. since its slow moving how bout combining the people mover with america sings?......Ok so it's only my fantasy but a man can dream can't he?
    Dont be frightend, I'm just a friendly Monster....

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Godwin Glacier, Alaska

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Will a new PeopleMover draw new guests in itself, no perhaps - - but returning guests, yes. People want to pass a whole and thriving Tomorrowland to their children - - and need it for their own sense of continuity. A dead track does not provide this...

The WHOLE of Disneyland and the Disneyland experience is key to the feelings of comfort and nostalgia and sentiment that Disneyland provides... this is what keeps generations of visitors, regular/casual/occasional coming back year after year.

Obviously, the experience of Disneyland should be added to to be made fresh, with new and exciting and marketable things - - but the wholeness and completeness and detail of the traditional Disneyland experience must be maintained first and foremost. What happened in recent years is that a dying Tomorrowland and abandoned attractions and missing old favorites and weak replacements have created a "dying Disneyland" mode of conversation, not just among fans, but among many who return to recconect with their inner child only to find the Swiss Family Robinson or Skyway or PeopleMover missing and replaced with nothing. They care.

A maintained Disneyland is like having your childhood memories intact - - that box of junk and childish treasures under your bed you may not visit often, but when you do it is resonant.

If it were just about new, marketable attractions, DCA would have pulled them in with Tower of Terror - - they did not. people come to visit Disneyland and they want it to be living, vital, fresh as their memories of childhood -- as well as new and growing. What they don't want is to find an appendage lopped-off or a momento thrown away.

The PeopleMover, Submarines, Skyway, Golden Horseshoe, Country Bears, et al should remain part of this wonderful tapestry that visitors treasure. They are coming back for the entirety of the DL experience, not PeopleMover itself - - yet that WAS part of the entirety of the experience, along with the rest. If its missing - its missing.

The only way around this is to provide something better in its place, which Disney has failed to do repeatedly in recent years - more often they have provided nothing at all.

Your view of marketing is entirely too narrow. The Big Picture is very important to Disneyland's health.
    Wow! Thank you, Merlin. Eloquently expressed and right on the money.
    "Yesterday, a man walked up to me and said, 'Isn't it a shame that Walt Disney couldn't be here to see this?' and I said, "He did see this, that's why it's here."
    -Art Linkletter July 17, 2005-

When you wish upon a star your dreams come true.

• Former Epcot CM

Quote Originally Posted by merlinjones
    Great post, but I did look at the big picture, many times. I am telling the story from my point of view.
    BACKPACKING REALNESS

DISNEY TRIPS
    October 2000 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2001 - Walt Disney World Resort
    April 2002 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    October 2003 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2004 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2005 - Walt Disney World Resort
    October 2007 - Walt Disney World Resort
    December 2008 - Walt Disney World Resort
    July 2009 - Disneyland Resort Paris
    July 2011 - Disneyland Resort California
    July 2012-13 - UK Cultural Representative Cast Member at Epcot
    February 2013 - Disneyland Resort California
    February 2013 -Tokyo Disney Resort

(VERY OLD!)
    TRIP REPORTS

• That's Hawt

You know, I don't want to be chased out of the thread here but I really think that bringing back the peoplemover is the correct solution.

I really hate that people think that TDA should bring back all of these old rides especially to TOMORROWLAND! It's not yesterland! The point of this area of the park is futuristic technology. I highly doubt that something that they came up with in the 60's is in any futuristic.

The park wasn't designed to be a museum. It was designed to be a place where families could do things together. Just because the peoplemover was a great way to rest doesn't mean that it will make Tomorrowland what it once was. Instead of a quick fix, bringing in back an old ride, they should use those Imagineers and come up with something worth while.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    I constantly change my mind on this, but I think perhaps it's time to come up with a new concept. Just because the Peoplemover worked as a ride doesn't mean we have to settle for 1967's technology.

It's Tomorrowland, which should move foward...not back. I don't care HOW good the ride was. It's gone, and it's time to move foward into the future. The public is not going to care much about a slow ride around the land (FOR CLARIFICATION BEFORE PEOPLE BASH ME, I AM NOT SUGGESTING A FAST THRILL RIDE, WHICH PEOPLE ALWAYS SEEM TO THINK I AM DOING). Most riders of a new Peoplemover will be nostalgia hounds.

After all, the ride never had crowds and nobody seemed to care much about it until it was gone. It's that whole "I want what I can't have" thing that makes you people think Peoplemover is such a great attraction, when really, nobody seemed to care much for it.

• That's Hawt

Quote Originally Posted by MotorBoatCruise2005
    I constantly change my mind on this, but I think perhaps it's time to come up with a new concept. Just because the Peoplemover worked as a ride doesn't mean we have to settle for 1967's technology.

It's Tomorrowland, which should move foward...not back. I don't care HOW good the ride was. It's gone, and it's time to move foward into the future. The public is not going to care much about a slow ride around the land (FOR CLARIFICATION BEFORE PEOPLE BASH ME, I AM NOT SUGGESTING A FAST THRILL RIDE, WHICH PEOPLE ALWAYS SEEM TO THINK I AM DOING). Most riders of a new Peoplemover will be nostalgia hounds.

After all, the ride never had crowds and nobody seemed to care much about it until it was gone. It's that whole "I want what I can't have" thing that makes you people think Peoplemover is such a great attraction, when really, nobody seemed to care much for it.
    Exactally!
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkmom
    this is my first buzzed post in the DMCA -- I'm really in this club because I'm a bitch more than anything. I've only had to hit the backspace 4 (oops, make that 5) times in (now 7) in this (now 9) (now 15) in this post! Damn, now I'm up to 18! Our neighbors were (19) (20) making tequilla sunrises. I thought I couldn't do tequilla (22) anymore but (24) this stuff (26) was good! It started (27) with an s

• Banned User

Delaware...hopefully not for that much longer.
    Woah I made a nice post there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast