• A Ghost at Disneyland

Need Advice on Renting an Electric Scooter at Disneyland

What have been your experiences renting an electric scooter at Disneyland?

Was it hard to get around in?
    Were there a lot of (or any?) places you couldn't go?
    Did the crowds make it tough to use?
    How were the scooters to operate? (ie did you run a lot of people over?)
    Can you drive it to DCA?
    Any particular advice to using a scooter?

I've never used one before, which is the reason for all my questions. I've found after my 5th heart attack I just don't have the stamina I once did.

I was really tired during my last Disney visit in April of this year. So much so that fatigue impaired my enjoyment of the park. Rather than repeating that mistake this September I'm planning on getting a scooter.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Darian

• Minion

Re: Need Advice on Renting an Electric Scooter at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post

Can you drive it to DCA?

I've never used one before, which is the reason for all my questions. I've found after my 5th heart attack I just don't have the stamina I once did.

I was really tired during my last Disney visit in April of this year. So much so that fatigue impaired my enjoyment of the park. Rather than repeating that mistake this September I'm planning on getting a scooter.

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Darian
    I would look into renting from an area company that will deliver it to your hotel for you. Then, if you want to go to DTD, you can take it. I do not know who to contact that has the best prices. I recently rented from APRIA for a manual wc and have been very satisfied, but they may be a bit priceier (though, they will work with your insurance if you would like them to)

• I may be nutz...but...

You will probably want to practice driving one BEFORE you enter the Parks. It is tough to get around and if you are not familiar with how to drive one, you need to know that beforehand! Disneyland is not the place to drive one for the first time! Can you get one before you go to practice on?
    susabelle

• Senior Minion

I personally think this thread might help you a lot.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71566

• A Pirate's life for me!

If you want to rent one from the Park, do it early in the day (like as soon as you get there). They often run out.

My mother in law has some serious back problems and can't stand/walk for long periods of time(when she does walk, she sports a Master Yoda - like walking stick)...we normally rent a regular wheel chair and push her around for the day when we take her to DL, but one time she decided she wanted to rent one of the ECV's, and it turned out to be pretty difficult...
    First of all, some of the controls require you to lean back in the seat...so this was a problem for her -- I know you said you have issues with your heart, but if you have any back problems, this might be reason to avoid it. She also found it jerked and gave you a pretty good jolt when trying to stop it and it was almost impossibel to drive around...

You probably do want to try one out before committing to it, just from our personal experience, it was more trouble than it was worth...

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by TikiRoomLiz View Post
    I personally think this thread might help you a lot.

http://www.micechat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71566
    I really appreciate that link and the tips others have offered. Boy, Austin sure got the shaft from some posters on that thread! Like the guy wants to be in an ECV. People can sure make me wonder sometimes.

In the past I've used a wheel chair to get around Walt Disney World - because it's so spread out. Up to this point I've been able to do Disneyland walking... by going slow and taking frequent rest breaks. But last April I got smoked like a cheap cigar. So it's time to ride.

So are those Disney ECV's hard to control? I'd hate to flatten a 4yr old! Or drive up someone's heels. That's gonna leave a mark.

Good tip on getting an ECV early in the morning. I would be bummed if they were all rented out. I can taste one of those delicious soy enriched burgers at Tomorrowland Terrace now.... yummy!

Say, does being in an ECV give you the right to run over line cutters? Hmmm just a thought.

• A Ghost at Disneyland

Quote Originally Posted by Belle626 View Post
    My mother in law has some serious back problems and can't stand/walk for long periods of time(when she does walk, she sports a Master Yoda - like walking stick)...we normally rent a regular wheel chair and push her around for the day when we take her to DL, but one time she decided she wanted to rent one of the ECV's, and it turned out to be pretty difficult...
    First of all, some of the controls require you to lean back in the seat...so this was a problem for her -- I know you said you have issues with your heart, but if you have any back problems, this might be reason to avoid it. She also found it jerked and gave you a pretty good jolt when trying to stop it and it was almost impossibel to drive around...

You probably do want to try one out before committing to it, just from our personal experience, it was more trouble than it was worth...
    You mean there is some kind of switch under the seat? I've seen some folks struggle with the ECV's but other people seem to be able to whip them around with no problem. I wonder if it's a difference between individual ECV's?

• done

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyDarian View Post

Can you drive it to DCA?
    I have previously rented an ECV from Disney, and I didn't find it that difficult, never having been in one before. There is some kind of sensor so that you have to be sitting in a particular way, and I got one chair that was particularly sensitive to that, so it would start and stop. But if you have a problem, just stop at any shop and inform a CM, and they'll generally just bring you another one, provided they have them, of course.

And yes, they can run out later in the day if it's very crowded. If they're out, you can put your name on a wait list, and they'll call you if someone returns one and it's available. If it's vital for you to have one, and you won't be able to be there at least sometime in the morning, I would suggest renting from an outside company.

Any ECV that you rent at DL or DCA can be brought back and forth between the parks and through the esplanade, but they can't be taken past the bag check points, so if you were going to DTD, you wouldn't be able to take the ECV with you. If that's also a concern, then renting from someone else would also be a good idea.

The controls are switches by the hands, and I didn't have a problem with them. When you first try it, I'd be sure you're not in a crowd so you can get a feel for how fast it goes, how long it takes to stop, how quickly it goes, just to make sure you don't run into people accidentally.

You do have to pay a bit more attention when you're making your way through the parks. If you're walking, you tend not to notice sidewalks and the like, but if you're in a wheelchair or an ECV or pushing a stroller, you're much more conscious because you can't exactly just dive off a sidewalk. You should also be careful on Main Street with the tracks that the trolleys take - wheels can get stuck in that. There are also certain surfaces in the park (like the cobblestones in Fantasyland and the wood planking on the Big Thunder path) that can be very uncomfortable and/or downright painful, depending on your affliction. Since yours is a heart problem, that might not be as much of a issue for you. You might also have some difficulty navigating the hill by Screamin' in DCA. Down shouldn't be a problem, but going up, if you stop half-way, you might have some difficulty starting up again, so I wouldn't recommend stopping midway or you might need some help going up the rest of the way.

You would of course have to leave the ECV when you're on attractions (with only a few exceptions) and things like that. Those are the only places I'd think you couldn't go. Oh, I'm not sure how well ECVs would work on Tom Sawyer Island or if they're allowed there. It can also be a bit difficult balancing a tray/food while you're in an ECV if you're at a counter-service food location, so hopefully, there will be someone who can help you with that. If you leave your ECV, do remember to bring your key with you. That was something I had to constantly think about. If you leave the key there, someone can take off with your ECV.

Crowds can be difficult to handle when you're in an ECV, mostly because they don't pay any attention to you. People will cut you off and then if you can't stop in a split second to avoid hitting them, then *they* get mad at *you*. Children can also sometimes be completely non-attentive and step in your path and on occasion have even been known to climb on or over you to get somewhere, so something to be mindful of. Something I didn't realize until I was in a wheelchair/ECV - you're exactly at the level of someone who's dangling a lit cigarette. I almost got burned by someone who was swinging their arm while holding a lit cigarette and paying no attention to their surroundings.

Depending on when you're going and the weather at the time, you might want to bring a towel of some sort to sit on. I've been in an ECV in very hot weather, and the seat gets very hot, which can be a problem if you're wearing shorts. Having the towel in between certainly helped. But don't bring a towel that someone might be tempted to take!