Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 27
  1. #1

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    I've read a multitude of threads and all of them seemed to stop short of asking this very question. Some people support the "Pixarfication" of the Disneyland Resort, others are completely appalled by it. My "shock" is that the majority of Pixar rides including those planned, while clever, don't fit any sort of theme. The only one that "fits" is Buzz, but it's a futuristic cartoon in Tomorrowland so you can't really screw that up. The "Woody's roundup" show was amazingly bad. It was meant to be a 1950's kid's western... so they put it in 1860's Frontierland where everyone owned a Tv! Yeah that was a perfect theme! Nemo, while loved, seems to be more an attraction of convenience then a well imagined, conceived and themed attraction. It's been talked about in depth on other threads. Turtle talk fits only in the sense that you are talking to an animation... but that could have been done with Mickey or a variety of other characters. The whole "under sea in Hollywood" makes 0 sense. Then there's Monsters.... because rolling around in a car through Monstropolis just screams Hollywood. I hear ToyStory Mania will fit perfect... they plan on having Woody hold a couple churros! So is Disney turning a blind eye, and allowing anything Pixar in an attempt to stay "fresh" and popular... or is theming an ideal of the past?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  2. #2

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    It does seem like the green light is given to properties with products currently in the marketplace. It seems the days of Haunted Mansion model kits, puzzels, secret boxes, and books coming out AFTER the ride are long gone. Today the ride is just another product to create synergy and not the primary intellectual property. That's sad because as an amuzement park fan, I'd like the ride to come first and to not have it's hand's tied before it's even designed.

  3. #3

    • Banned User
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    The title might as well be ""Is Disney getting special Treatment?" because if you forgot, it's the same, except Pixar seems to putting out more quality films than Disney has the past few years.

    Also, Lore, you claim? Huh?
    Oh, so Mr Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Star Tours...etc. I can go on.

  4. #4

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    The title might as well be ""Is Disney getting special Treatment?" because if you forgot, it's the same, except Pixar seems to putting out more quality films than Disney has the past few years.

    Also, Lore, you claim? Huh?
    Oh, so Mr Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Star Tours...etc. I can go on.
    The "difference" is all in theming... the rides you mentioned FIT the theme! I would also have to go with Lore in saying that I do not remember a movie before HM, Matterhorn, BTM, Space Mountain, or a variety of old attractions that have been removed in the name of progress, $$$, and popularity. I also join others in the cry for actual imagination, not Florida Copies or Movie Adaptations. In case you wonder, NO, I don't like Pooh. I can't believe they replaced the Country Bear Jamboree with that... it's not even completely Pooh... more like Jerry Garcia does Disney! I love Jerry Garcia... but shouldn't he be in Fantasyland?
    Last edited by techskip; 07-25-2007 at 07:29 PM.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  5. #5

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    While I've always been OK with this Pixarization concept, I just think the themes of the parks/lands are a bit too limiting these days. Because of that, I'm OK with them bending the theme-rules a bit.

    Regardless of that, I still feel that the Subs deserve a pass because they are resurrecting an attraction from the past. Traveling through 'liquid space' apparently was a Tomorrowland concept way-back-when so it should still be today.

    For me, if Disney could guarantee me their best attraction since Indiana Jones, but it didn't really fit the land/area they were planning to put it, I would be just fine with it.

    IMO... Fun > Theme

  6. #6

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    The title might as well be ""Is Disney getting special Treatment?" because if you forgot, it's the same, except Pixar seems to putting out more quality films than Disney has the past few years.

    Also, Lore, you claim? Huh?
    Oh, so Mr Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Star Tours...etc. I can go on.
    if its so "disney" why do they keep calling it pixar?

  7. #7

    • Animatronic
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    1,860

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheManator View Post
    Also, Lore, you claim? Huh?
    Oh, so Mr Toad, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio, Alice in Wonderland, Star Tours...etc. I can go on.
    Mr. Toad was based on a little known short feature, and deviated as wildly as Mr. Toad's driving. More popular films did not get rides. That's not quite like having one's hands tied, that's like steeling the best ride material from a vast library, not being told that you have to include certain characters to sell plush. Star Tours is simply in the Star Wars universe, telling your story about your travels within that universe. Not unlike Indiana Jones. Those attractions took what they wanted from the movie's universe and managed decent attractions. Looting films for sets, props, themes, and locations to make great rides is classic Disney.

    My point was just that I prefer the ride, the land, and the park itself to come first artistically when considering permanant additions.

  8. #8

    • Go Seahawks!
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    37

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    if its so "disney" why do they keep calling it pixar?
    HUH? Can you explain abit more so that can get answered
    Last edited by phkna; 07-25-2007 at 07:55 PM. Reason: spelling

  9. #9

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    5,602

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    "if its so "disney" why do they keep calling it pixar?"



    because its a division of disney. Pixar is Disney no matter what people think. Its just another division just like ABC.

    It is true though that Disney/Pixar is getting quite a bit of focus but only because the movies coming out of that division are strong.

    The attractions in the pipeline are not all Disney/Pixar based. There are a few ideas being considered that do not include movies and as well as couple of ideas that include classic Disney Animation movies.

  10. #10

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    are the rides including the classics for DCA? i hope!

  11. #11

    • Progressive Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    1,240

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by patattack View Post
    if its so "disney" why do they keep calling it pixar?
    I don't really understand your point. It's Disney owned. We all know that. Disney's name is right next to Pixar's on all of the DVD covers.

    Does ESPN need to rebrand itself the Disney Sports Network so everyone is crystal clear on who owns it?

    It's smart business to keep using the name of the brand that has earned its own respect and reputation over the years. It's part of what makes them the valuable asset that they are to Disney.

  12. #12

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    corona
    Posts
    1,938

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    sorry, sarcastic.

  13. #13

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    2,206

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by Lore View Post
    Mr. Toad was based on a little known short feature, and deviated as wildly as Mr. Toad's driving. More popular films did not get rides. That's not quite like having one's hands tied, that's like steeling the best ride material from a vast library, not being told that you have to include certain characters to sell plush. Star Tours is simply in the Star Wars universe, telling your story about your travels within that universe. Not unlike Indiana Jones. Those attractions took what they wanted from the movie's universe and managed decent attractions. Looting films for sets, props, themes, and locations to make great rides is classic Disney.

    My point was just that I prefer the ride, the land, and the park itself to come first artistically when considering permanant additions.
    Exactly my thoughts on the subject of movie based rides. Alice in Wonderland was not much of a success when it was first released, even though it is a favorite movie of mine, and Walt choose to make rides out of it, because of the potential for great rides based on it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

    The attractions in the pipeline are not all Disney/Pixar based. There are a few ideas being considered that do not include movies and as well as couple of ideas that include classic Disney Animation movies.
    I hope your right.

  14. #14

    • "I Break Things"
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    California
    Posts
    12,370

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Were the leaks always so prevalent or was Walt able to keep a tighter ship when it came to ride concepts?
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"


    "Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"


  15. #15

    • MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Disneyland, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,138

    Re: Is Pixar getting special Treatment?

    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    The only one that "fits" is Buzz, but it's a futuristic cartoon in Tomorrowland so you can't really screw that up.
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters has no place in Tomorrowland. Buzz Lightyear, as depicted in the attraction, is a toy. Buzz Lightyear in Buzz Lightyear Astro Blaters is a toy based off a fictional cartoon show that existed in the Toy Story films that have a contemporary setting. If the attraction depicted Buzz Lightyear not as a toy, but rather as the character from his T.V. show, then perhaps he would be thematically correct. However, as long as Buzz Lightyear and Emporer Zurg are depicted as their toy counterparts from Andy's bedroom, then the attraction will continue to be a deviation and total destructor of the struggling Tomorrowland theme.


    Quote Originally Posted by KISSman View Post
    IMO... Fun > Theme
    Hear, hear! Afterall, if it works for Magic Mountain and Knott's, right?

    ...oh, wait.


    Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    Were the leaks always so prevalent or was Walt able to keep a tighter ship when it came to ride concepts?
    I think Walt was more focused on developing new attractions and experiences that he didn't care about hiding the upcoming attractions from the public, or barring "leaks." In fact, he seemed to delight in giving sneak peeks, teasers, and otherwise "leaking" word on new attractions. This is evidenced by the famous television special in which Walt gave a sneak peek of the Pirates of the Caribbean where he and Disneyland's first ambassador, Julie Reihm, gave television viewers a tour of the Pirates ride-through model. Also, Walt talked about the Haunted Mansion four years before it opened on Disneyland's 10th Anniversary television special, "We're going to bring ghosts from all over the world, but we haven't got the ghosts in there yet. We're out collecting the ghosts and we're making it very attractive to them, hoping, you know, they'll want to come and stay at Disneyland. So we're putting in wall-to-wall cobwebs. And we guarantee them creeking doors and creeking floors." You can hear audio of that on DoomBuggies.com

    Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

    | | |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 04:45 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-09-2007, 10:48 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2007, 11:51 AM
  4. Pixar goes to Hollywood - a special report- News.com- 1/26/06
    By OogieBoogie in forum MiceChat News Archive
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-26-2006, 01:02 PM
  5. Have you been since the golden treatment?
    By stinkerbell in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 07-15-2005, 02:03 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •