Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MA Reader Since 2003

Dense Fog and a Mysterious Mist

Does the JC have foggers like the Jurrassic Park ride at USH? If not wouldn't that be a great and cheap addition to the ride? I realize they could not make it too thick so that we could see the animals, but a light to heavy mist would be kind of cool.
    Last edited by Diznyfan; 07-25-2007 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Title change

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• A guy walks into a bar...

Re: Dense Fog and a Mysterious Mist

Quote Originally Posted by Diznyfan View Post
    Does the JC have foggers like the Jurrassic Park ride at USH? If not wouldn't that be a great and cheap addition to the ride? I realize they could not make it too thick so that we could see the animals, but a light to heavy mist would be kind of cool.
    No. There have been discussions for years to add a fog effect in the rain forest, but for one reason or another it gets canned every time.

A few years ago, I was involved in a film shoot (for a commercial, if I recall) where they used Hollywood fog machines to fill the elephant pool with a very low fog. I thought it looked awesome! However, it dissipated rather quickly, so I would imagine that keeping that fog effect all day would be quite a chore. Also, the fog machines were LOUD!

This internet message board posting does not reflect the thoughts or opinions of either my company, my friends, or my cat; don't quote me on that; don't quote me on anything; all rights reserved; you may distribute this message freely but you may not make a profit from it; terms are subject to change without notice; illustrations are slightly enlarged to show detail; any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, is unintentional and purely coincidental; do not remove this disclaimer under penalty of law; hand wash only, tumble dry on low heat; do not bend, fold, mutilate, or spindle; your mileage may vary; no substitutions allowed; for a limited time only; this message is void where prohibited, taxed, or otherwise restricted; Contest ends 12-31-2099.

• MA Reader Since 2003

Re: Jungle Cruise Question?

I think they have new fog machines now that atomize the water. The ones at Jurrasic park are like this I believe.

-Albert Einstein

• Narnian in Disneyland

6 hours and 29 minutes from the Happiest Place on Earth

If Disney could manage this, I think it would be nice to have a little bit of it. Hate to admit it, but Jungle Cruise really isn't one of my favorite rides. I think adding this affect would enhance the theming (I'm not saying it doesn't have theming, some of it's just a little repetitive to me.)

• Pirate love

There are fog machines that use water, but the problem with most all of those kinds is that they are a pain in the behind to work. they require constant checking and maintinance and depending of you want the fog to ride low and heavy it sometimes requires dry ice. And that is a whole nother thing that has to be checked not to mention that it is outdoors and the natural weather would be a constant thing to worry about.
    If they could work it out I think that it would be fun to have.
    Or just up the mist in the rain forest section.

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by SkipperStandUp View Post
    No. There have been discussions for years to add a fog effect in the rain forest, but for one reason or another it gets canned every time.

A few years ago, I was involved in a film shoot (for a commercial, if I recall) where they used Hollywood fog machines to fill the elephant pool with a very low fog. I thought it looked awesome! However, it dissipated rather quickly, so I would imagine that keeping that fog effect all day would be quite a chore. Also, the fog machines were LOUD!
    I remember that, I think it was an overseas number if I remember correctly. You're also one of the few that can back me up as to how cool it was when there were fog wisps on the river when it was FREEZING outside!

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardpineaple View Post
    There are fog machines that use water, but the problem with most all of those kinds is that they are a pain in the behind to work. they require constant checking and maintinance and depending of you want the fog to ride low and heavy it sometimes requires dry ice. And that is a whole nother thing that has to be checked not to mention that it is outdoors and the natural weather would be a constant thing to worry about.
    If they could work it out I think that it would be fun to have.
    Or just up the mist in the rain forest section.
    The major problem is keeping the fog around period. JC isn't as lucky as POC, we're outside. Also there aren't a lot of places that are easily accessible for them to service the foggers. I know the maintenance attitude (if 1 in 10 are working it's acceptable). We once talked about some sort of air cannons like Indy at the attacking natives but had a similar dilema. One of the not so great things about the great outdoors.

I had proposed at one point to split a boat at the C curve (big curve entering Hippo Pool) and use a smokestack as one giant fogger, with a sign on it saying Tropic Miss (from the poster)! Litter the whole Hippo pool with cargo and debris, also have 2 smashed up signs on the shore. One sign saying Mekong Maiden... and another elsewhere saying Magdalena Maiden. That would explain the boats we have missing in the fleet, and convey a sense of eminent danger.

If I had to choose two places to put foggers I would say Temple and Hippo. Plenty of shade to keep what little fog is produced. Another thought was to add multiple crocs snapping all around the boat... imagine that with a little fog! Or have it nice and foggy then a huge Hippo charges out of the mist.
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by techskip View Post
    We once talked about some sort of air cannons like Indy at the attacking natives but had a similar dilema. One of the not so great things about the great outdoors.
    Hong Kong has these on their Jungle Cruise. They seemed to work fine...

• "I Break Things"

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    Hong Kong has these on their Jungle Cruise. They seemed to work fine...
    HK also had an extremely nice surround sound speaker system (JBL I believe) that was bidirectional and well placed. We have wonderful cheapo amps that are placed in the bilge because that is where electronics belong, next to water. We also have wonderful tin can speakers that can't be heard from 5ft away but make a person's ears bleed when they sit under them because louder is better....um no.

All joking aside I would love to see the sliding croc technology applied here, from what I hear a lot of the HK JC is AMAZING... don't really have the money to travel there so I'll believe the stories. We did talk to WDI about possibly installing a pre-drilled air cannon system in the boat's rail support system, similar to Indy. The thought being that with a flip of the switch we could cause a real ambush with air blasts hitting passengers as we made our daring escape. Another possibility was moving the natives so that they were on both sides, and to add blowguns! Our Leads, Managers, and WDI all felt that IF a Skip had a switch that could do that... they would abuse it.

Now I ask... would we do something like that?

• YOU KNOW IT! YEAH!

well i can see the abuse of a switch, but a button? THATS A WHOLE DIFFERENT STORY!!!! Switches are the abused bunch in the electronic world....everyone knows that buttons get all the respect. Cool idea for sure!

SUPPORT THE CMs

For me, Tomorrow is everyday...wait...what?

• Knows Where His Towel Is

I have always wanted the Jungle Cruise to have more of a storyline, instead of just a cruise through treacherous waters. A little more like POTC, where you follow a story, is what I'm saying.

But putting that aside, fog machines would really be a good idea, but I'm curious about the logistics. Has this been brought up before with the execs over at TDA?

• MA Reader Since 2003

We did talk to WDI about possibly installing a pre-drilled air cannon system in the boat's rail support system,
    similar to Indy. The thought being that with a flip of the switch we could cause a real ambush with air blasts hitting passengers as we made our daring escape. Another possibility was moving the natives so that they were on both sides, and to add blowguns!
    These are the kinds of things that could make JC a popular ride again. Maybe since they are making a movie based on the ride we can hope for some upgrades.

-Albert Einstein

• Disgruntled Former CM

Cool Re: Dense Fog and a Mysterious Mist

Quote Originally Posted by Diznyfan View Post
    Originally Posted by TechSkip;
    We once talked about some sort of air cannons like Indy at the attacking natives but had a similar dilema. One of the not so great things about the great outdoors.

I had proposed at one point to split a boat at the C curve (big curve entering Hippo Pool) and use a smokestack as one giant fogger, with a sign on it saying Tropic Miss (from the poster)! Litter the whole Hippo pool with cargo and debris, also have 2 smashed up signs on the shore. One sign saying Mekong Maiden... and another elsewhere saying Magdalena Maiden. That would explain the boats we have missing in the fleet, and convey a sense of eminent danger.

If I had to choose two places to put foggers I would say Temple and Hippo. Plenty of shade to keep what little fog is produced. Another thought was to add multiple crocs snapping all around the boat... imagine that with a little fog! Or have it nice and foggy then a huge Hippo charges out of the mist.

All joking aside I would love to see the sliding croc technology applied here, from what I hear a lot of the HK JC is AMAZING... don't really have the money to travel there so I'll believe the stories. We did talk to WDI about possibly installing a pre-drilled air cannon system in the boat's rail support system, similar to Indy. The thought being that with a flip of the switch we could cause a real ambush with air blasts hitting passengers as we made our daring escape. Another possibility was moving the natives so that they were on both sides, and to add blowguns! Our Leads, Managers, and WDI all felt that IF a Skip had a switch that could do that... they would abuse it.
    ALL EXCELLENT IDEAS!!

I know what has been taken away from JC in the past decade or so, but what has been added? These (GREAT) ideas are exactly what I would like to see as "updates" for the beloved Jungle Cruise (since we never got the "Blue Sky" addition into Indy... darn!); I would just like to see a few additions (bring back the rhino! Bring back the pistols! Add some crocs! Animate those poor static animals on the African Veldt; they've been nailed to 2x4s for too long! No wonder those animals haven't been able to finish off that zebra...) in my lifetime; The Original E-Tickets need some TLC every once in a while... and some New surprises for us Old fans!

• Minion

I believe I saw mist at the Magic Kingdom and Tokyo Disneyland's as well.
    ~ Tokyo DisneySea’s Arabian Coast at nighttime ~

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Not too sure this would work too well at Disneyland. Being near the desert the air is very dry and they probably wouldn't work too well...

• "I Break Things"

Mist is easy, we have it in the rainforest, it's just a modified sprinkler system. The problem is usually nozzels getting clogged and dripping instead of spraying. Actual FOG is another story. Mist is a simple stream of water, gravity takes over and down it comes. FOG is water vapor in the air, depending on dryness that may evaporate. Also the more things that go through it the thinner it becomes (POC good example of lots of boats vs no boats). Then you take into account air currents, environmental conditions, mechanical problems and overall upkeep and it becomes a nightmare. Not that I didn't fight for them... but if they can't keep piranhas clean then how do you expect them to keep the fog rolling?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast