Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Re: Tomorrowland 2055

Quote Originally Posted by BoogaFrito View Post
    That's still different than what they've got at Chuck E. Cheese, semantical games aside.
    Ridiculous. Does Chuck E. Cheese's have a rotating carousel theater? Nope. Looks like the singing alien show would have been different than what Chuck E. Cheese's has.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Does Chuck E. Cheese's have a rotating carousel theater? Nope. Looks like the singing alien show would have been different than what Chuck E. Cheese's has.
    Wow, I would hope there'd be more than just a rotating theater to differentiate the two.

The fact is, animatronic shows featuring singing animals (etc) just aren't the novelty they once were.

While Eisner's question could have been answered with a single word ("Quality"), the sentiment that Disney should offer something you can't get at a local restaurant venue still holds firm. They should be EXCEEDING such conventions. They should be innovating, not repeating.

I think the Alien Revue concept has a lot of promise. The different alien forms, their movement, the in-theater effects, staging, and overall attraction design present a staggering number of possibilities to work with, most of which Disney has never done before.

But we also have hindsight now. Disney has hit a major rut with its in-park 3D movies, repeating many of the same effects, offering only minor innovations (if any). And this is the same organization which back in the 90's gave us "The Enchanted Tiki Room: Under New Management."

Whether or not the Plektu Plans actually lived up to the online hype, if this attraction was produced in 1998, with Eisner at the helm, chances are it WOULD have ended up on par with Chuck E. Cheese's, moving theater or no.
    Last edited by BoogaFrito; 07-26-2007 at 04:48 PM.

• MA Reader Since 2003

Yes it would have under Eisner. But I think something like this could be great with some creative minds behind it. Also Chuck E Cheese really sucks now it seems to have really gone down hill at least it has where I live.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ttztotdca50 View Post
    For once I'm actually going to agree with Eisner in how bad this idea is. I mean, come on-- singing aliens? What are they going to sing? And truthfully, you could argue that aliens are from the past from the Roswell-era hype.
    From what I remember about the concept at the time, much of what was happening with the Carousel was as a result of Eisner’s interference. I think there were a number of better ideas as to what they were going to do there, but he kept nixing them. I think one idea was a galactic robot show. The alien version was the last one before the whole thing was shut down.

Also, I don’t think the whole show was just sitting in a theater watching these “acts”. I think there was some sort of pre-show queue setting up a story. Or maybe that was one of the other ideas.

As for the overall concept for the land itself, I believe the story was: DL construction ran into some artifact that signaled to aliens in space. Thus Dl became the Earth’s contact point for all alien visitors.

I think there was also some sort of 100th anniversary element to it as well, being 100 years after Disneyland’s opening, hence Tomorrowland 2055.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WDWSageoftime View Post
    I take it you've never heard of the Fabulous Sonny Eclipse! He's an Alien that performs daily in Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe at the Magic Kingdom.
    He sings some of the best songs heard in a Disney park and I dare you to listen to "Bright Little Star" and not be moved by the lyrics. =)
    My sentiments exactly.

All of the lands of Disneyland had a good dose of romanticism, excepting the notions behind Tomorrowland. Main Street is more how the past should have been than how the past really was. Tomorrowland should also be more how we think the future should be than how it will be.

• Cretan

The alien idea is stupid, and Chuck E. Cheese has better pizza. Sounds like a better fit for Six Flags.
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."
    -"Sam Slick, the clockmaker"

• Cretan

Quote Originally Posted by bfdf55 View Post

As for the overall concept for the land itself, I believe the story was: DL construction ran into some artifact that signaled to aliens in space. Thus Dl became the Earth’s contact point for all alien visitors.

I think there was also some sort of 100th anniversary element to it as well, being 100 years after Disneyland’s opening, hence Tomorrowland 2055.
    Actually, that's kind of a cool story line.
    Stop being greedy.

"The fact is, squire, the moment a man takes to a pipe, he becomes a philosopher. It's the poor man's friend; it calms the mind, soothes the temper, and makes a man patient under difficulties. It has made more good men, good husbands, kind masters, indulgent fathers, than any other blessed thing on this universal earth."

• Koubu Pilot

You know, we still don't exactly know what's out there. We have never met anyone from another world. Tomorrow could not only mean international unity, but also interplanetary or intergalactic unity. Disney could invent ambassadors (or alien tourists wanting to learn about Earth).

We've never been outside our own solar system. Think about it! We've only been as far as the moon. We've never been to Mercury, Venus, or Mars (and that only makes up the inner solar system!). Then there's the whole asteroid belt, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, and we've never had any clear images of Pluto (recently downgraded). Consider this: if you could travel at the speed of light (get that Star Wars/Star Tours image in your head over with so you can get back to the subject at hand), it would take approximately 8 or 8 1/2 minutes to reach the sun. The next closest star is Alpha Centauri. If you could go the speed of light, it would take about 3.4 years to reach it! And then you have stars that are hundreds, thousands, even millions of light years away. Those stars may not even be physically there anymore, but the light we see each night from these stars are still reaching us. So a star that's 1000 light years away still has light reaching us tonight that originally left that star 1000 years ago!
    Last edited by Koutesu; 07-28-2007 at 08:49 PM. Reason: forgot one more thing...

• FastPass n00b

As an extra-terrestrial being, I take heavy offense to Michael Eisner comparing my kind and myself to "Chuck E. Cheese". We are at least on the level of "Showbiz Pizza"!

• back in Austin

I still think tomorrowland should be about the future.

=)

The fantasy element should be subservient to the reality element.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    Those stars may not even be physically there anymore, but the light we see each night from these stars are still reaching us. So a star that's 1000 light years away still has light reaching us tonight that originally left that star 1000 years ago!
    You've just given me a great idea for an attraction. TIME MIRROR. Imagine if there was a giant lake on a planet that was a 1000 light years away. Imagine that we developed a super sensitive Telescope that could pick out the reflections on this lake(remember, this telescope is "super").

We could literaly see the Earth as it was a 1000 years ago.

Depending on how "super" this telescope was we may even be able to see actual events taking place on Earth ---in real time.

Could be a nice replacement for HISTA don't you think
    Last edited by sleepyjeff; 07-31-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Hista not hists
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Cretan

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    You've just given me a great idea for an attraction. TIME MIRROR. Imagine if there was a giant lake on a planet that was a 1000 light years away. Imagine that we developed a super sensitive Telescope that could pick out the reflections on this lake(remember, this telescope is "super").

We could literaly see the Earth as it was a 1000 years ago.

Depending on how "super" this telescope was we may even be able to see actual events taking place on Earth ---in real time.

Could be a nice replacement for HISTS don't you think
    You just blew my mind.
    Stop being greedy.

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

Quote Originally Posted by Koutesu View Post
    We have never met anyone from another world.
    I actually disagree here. I believe without a doubt that there are beings from other planets and universes walking amongst us right now. They are here to observe and help us in our time of need. They are here to inspire us to push the bounderies of humanitarianism and the like. People like Gene Roddenbury (sp?) are a good example of this. Creating such devices for Star Trek that later became an everyday item (CDs, etc.).

Just my take on the matter.

...Joe...

• Stop That!

Quote Originally Posted by JosephTNielsen View Post
    I believe without a doubt that there are beings from other planets and universes walking amongst us right now.
    Then they belong in Todayland, not Tomorrowland.

I like the idea of Plectu's Fantastic Galactic Revue. Since we began broadcasting radio and television signals they have been streaming away from the Earth in all directions. Aliens could theoretically pick them up and the first ones they received would have been the oldest. The idea could be they wanted to make first contact with us and they used these signals to figure out how to communicate with us. Add new digital effects and lasers to the AAs and it could be fun. I know music makes many attractions repeatable to me. Can you imagine an alien tribute to the 60's, 70's, or 80's. It could be funny and entertaining.
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere." --Carl Sagan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast