Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

PHOTO UPDATE 7/25: A ride on the Lilly Belle, Disney Gallery sale, merch, +MORE

Welcome to another Photo Update. Not too much going on right now... the main focus of this update are the photos from my grand-circle tour of Disneyland aboard the Lilly Belle presidential coach Enjoy!

WELCOME TO DISNEYLAND!

ALL ABOARD!
    As many of you know, the Disneyland Railroad's Ward Kimball locomotive (any locomotive can pull the Belle) features the Lilly Belle Presidential Coach. The train car is a fully-enclosed caboose, featuring the finest turn-of-the-century luxuries for visiting dignitaries, celebrities, and VIPs. The Lilly Belle is truly a relaxingly magical hidden gem in a park full of E-Tickets and hustle-and-bustle. If Club 33 were a ride-through attraction, the Lilly Belle would be it! If you'd like a closer look, feel free to click on any of the following Lilly Belle photos. You'll be taken to their flickr.com page where you can download higher-resolution versions of the images.

The Lilly Belle is furnished with Victorian-era antique furniture. According to our Host, all of the furnishings in the Belle are original and are meticulously taken care of in order to preserve them. Apparently, there is a maitenance team dedicated to cleaning the Lilly Belle every night with the highest standards and attention to care and detail in order to preserve this imporant piece of Disneyland history.

This carpet is reportedly some of the most expensive carpet ever made, and was custom-designed by Walt. Our Host said it is also the same design that is found in his personal apartment above the Main Street Fire Station. Can you see the hidden Mickeys?

A photo of Walt & Lillian sits atop a marble-top table in the back of the coach.

Presidential Comforts.

The journey to the Grand Canyon and Primeval World from Main Street, USA may be a long one, so some casual reading is provided to pass the time.

Only the most state-of-the-art luxuries are provided on this turn-of-the-century steam train luxury car. Electic fans are located in each corner of the car to ensure the utmost comfort for visiting dignitaries. Note, also, the hand-cut mahogany inlay in the ceiling of the car. - This pattern is actually stenciled on the ceiling panels.

All of that mahogany is expensive, not to mention wood. Thus, no smoking is allowed.

The stained-glass skylights keep the entire car awash in glowing golden, orange, and sky blue tones during the day.

Does anybody know what the GWR embossing stands for on this sconce?

DISNEY GALLERY "SALE"
    The Disney Gallery is having a "sale" ... But don't get your hope set on getting that big fig you've been eyeing up there, or that giclee you've been dying to have. The same is comprised of a few framed prints that formerly were on display in the Gallery ranging between $99 and $119. It's mostly old Enchanted Tiki Room/Adventureland and Frontierland concept art.

It's all propped up against the wall in the Formal Dining Room.

A look at the groundwork for the new elevator:
    ...Not much to look at, really...

And this new painting comes with a major price tag...

OUCH!

NEW MERCHANDISE
    Halloween and more Nightmare Before Christmas merchandise has begun popping up around the shops on Main Street.... There's nothing new for Halloween merch this year, as of yet.

And there's a lot of Nightmare Before Christmas merch out too on Main Street. I'm not sure if this is all stuff that's been available all along at Le Bat En Rouge in New Orleans Square because I don't go in that store very often... so if it is old merch, I apologize.

A door hanger- front:

Back:

And there's a new Pirates-themed Mickey plush...

As well as a cool new line of Haunted Mansion trading pins.

THIS AND THAT
    The huge bathtissue ads around all of the restrooms in Disneyland and DCA are getting out of hand... This one is strange, but at least not obnoxiously huge and in-your-face like the ones in Paradise Pier's bathroom row. This ad for Angel Soft Bath Tissue is in the men's restroom next to the Plaza Inn.

What's up with that new line above Mickey's nose? It looks... weird.

And the "Where Dreams Come True" banners in the esplanade are finally gone. The new standard "Year of a Million Dreams" design has replaced them.

...Alllright... that's it for this time. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 07-26-2007 at 11:12 AM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• KC to DL= 1,640 miles

Goin' to Kansas City. Kansas City Here I Come

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 7/25: A ride on the Lilly Belle, Disney Gallery sale, merch, +MORE

Nice pics MasterGracey. Always glad to see the Disney Gallery pics.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Don't diss my bonnet

the location of my profile picture is Knott's in 1972, i'm about 10 months old.

Re: PHOTO UPDATE 7/25: A ride on the Lilly Belle, Disney Gallery sale, merch, +MORE

your Lilly Belle pix are so much more detailed than mine, i'm jealous!
    Will there be screams when the sun sets,
    -=Is It October Yet?=-

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkermonkey
    elly is the ultimate nerdy girl. But she makes it sexy
    Quote Originally Posted by pratt55
    Elly is adorkable.

• Membre

It's wonderful, thanks for pictures!

• Closed Account

Great photos of the Lilly Belle!

Unfortunately, your host has laden you with so much bull pucky that I'm surprised you were able to get out through the car's door!

Just one example: That "inlaid" wood in the ceiling? Not so much inlaid as "stenciled."

I'm surprised you weren't told that Walt himself enjoyed trips around the railroad in this luxurious "Private Car!"

"GWR" stands for Great Western Railway, a large railroad in England.

A quick correction: the Ward Kimball locomotive does not pull the Lilly Belle exclusively. Any locomotive can pull the train with the Lilly Belle attached (currently the Holiday Green). The day you rode just happened to be the Kimball's turn to pull the train.
    Last edited by Steve DeGaetano; 07-26-2007 at 06:58 AM.

MG, Thanks for sharing your pictures. I always enjoy your updates, especially the merch.
    I was a bit hesitant about what the CM was telling you about the Lilly Belle - I have read other things here that suggest the CMs are not properly breifed. Still I enjoyed your TR.

• World Traveler

Very nice. Thanks.

• Closed Account

Quote Originally Posted by RPerez3 View Post
    I was a bit hesitant about what the CM was telling you about the Lilly Belle - I have read other things here that suggest the CMs are not properly breifed.
    I'm not sure what, if any, special training the conductors must go through. When the Lilly Belle came back from her rehab in early 2006, there was additional training for the conductors that included showing them where the hidden electrical switches for the car's lighting and accessories were and other information about the car's workings. Aside from that, I don't know how much of the car's history was or is presented.

There is, unfortunately, a lot of mis-information about the car, its details and its history floating around. These myths--just like the colorblind bulldozer operator myth--get passed down from CM to CM, or through the internal CM newsletters, or from websites. Ferreting out the truth can be difficult, and I don't really blame the CMs, who are often just parroting what they've read in "official" Disney publications.

Thanks Steve - I will definetely be checking our your book. I love history and TRAINS!!! No - I can't say I blame the CMs either. If they are not given the information or are given the information for that matter then that is an iron-horse of a different color. It is neat in these threads to see the mystery and history unfold. So keep it coming.

• Closed Account

Well, I've got a new article idea at least..."Myths of the Disneyland Railroad."

Thanks for the pics and info, from the both you!

• Sugar & Spice

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: PHOTO UPDATE 7/25: A ride on the Lilly Belle, Disney Gallery sale, merch, +MORE

Great pics... the Lilly Belle is just beautiful and you captured that beauty wonderfully!

So excited about all the Halloween merch coming out... can't wait to get there in 3 weeks! YAY!
    <3 There are a million cupcakes in the world but only one is Cupcake Terror. <3

I AM THE REBEL SPY.

• MiceChat Moderator
    • It's SisterP Time!

Blog Entries

Great pictures and thanks for sharing.

• Don't mess with the duck!

Another fabulous update and round of pics, thank you!

• Hug a Billy

The Golden Horseshoe/Big Thunder Jamboree

Beautiful pictures as always. Love the details that you always manage to get.

And Steve ... I think an article like the one you mentioned would be very helpful and informative! Having an old picture or two, like the one you showed here of them removing the stencil, would be good too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast