Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Maintaining and enriching the Worlds of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

Above guests heads as they enter Town Square via the entry tunnels beneath the Disneyland railroad are simple bronze plaques.

The message is a simple one, and one that execs within the Walt Disney Company have likely not read in quite some time.

"Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy."

How do characters who reside in contemporary settings such as Buzz Lightyear, Woody, and Stitch deviate from and contradict the themes of the Worlds in which they are placed?

How can Frontierland remain an idealized past with the infiltration of a contemporary cowboy toy? How can Tomorrowland remain a vista into Tomorrow with characters from a long time ago in from a galaxy far, far away? How can a space alien who crash-landed in present-day Hawaii be a resident of the World of Tomorrow? How can characters like these be introduced to the theme park setting without disrupting themes? Can they exist, or must they remain only in their films?

The magic of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom lies in its ability to transport guests into different worlds; the worlds of yesterday, tomorrow, and fantasy.

If the Walt Disney Company, its executives and Imagineering team continue to force-theme attractions into the parks, the delicate magic that Walt Disney and his team of WED Imagineers created is at risk to become nothing more than a memory that resides in our own personal world of yesterday.

Somebody at the Walt Disney Company must read those simple words again, and understand their meaning. Only then will the magic of Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom once again shine like never before.
    Last edited by MasterGracey; 07-26-2007 at 01:01 PM.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• DL Nerd

Re: Maintaining and enriching the Worlds of Yesterday, Tomorrow, and Fantasy.

I think it's less the Imagineers fault and more the Exec's

I think it's the exec's who lack the imagination
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Fighter Pilot

yeah exec's don't require "imagination" in their resume, just school degrees and business course's and junk...basically the opposite of anything to do with "imagination"

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

With all due respect, in my opinion, the magic doesn't exist in the park, it exists in your mind.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    I think it's less the Imagineers fault and more the Exec's

I think it's the exec's who lack the imagination
    The executives are not the ones creating and designing the theme parks and attractions. They merely fund it and dictate what properties need to be represented in the parks. Imagineers are the ones who ultimately create the magic.

I think it is important that everybody in the company, execs and Imagineers alike, who is involved with new developments at the Magic Kingdom once again read the entry plaques and understand the meaning of the words inscribed upon them.

| | |

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

This is a great observation!

This is the main litmus test that an attraction needs to be placed against in order to determine whether it is "good" or not.

Not only does a ride have to fit a theme, but it also MUST remove you from reality and transport you to that world of fantasy. If it takes a Pixar character or a Pirate, so be it. But it must be done thematically so as not to ruin the theming of the rest of the park.

Great observation and something that must be read by everyone who works for Disney!

• Senior Minion

like that is going to happen
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• DL Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    The executives are not the ones creating and designing the theme parks and attractions. They merely fund it and dictate what properties need to be represented in the parks. Imagineers are the ones who ultimately create the magic.
    No but they ultimately get to say yea or nay to a project.

Who knows how many GREAT projects that the imagineers have came up with only to be shot down by exec's who thought it wasn't a good Idea.

I'm willing to bet that MANY awesome Ideas will never be brought to light all because somebody in a suit says no.
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Don't Mess With The Duck!

I think it is important that everybody in the company, execs and Imagineers alike, who is involved with new developments at the Magic Kingdom once again read the entry plaques and understand the meaning of the words inscribed upon them.
    I think it's somewhere in the middle regarding what you just said in the above quoted post. What we ultimately end up seeing is usually the watered down version that the penny pinchers in accounting end up telling the executives to tell the Imagineers what to do. It wouldn't surprise me if 95% of the cheap stuff, or the out of place stuff, that we see in the parks is ultimately the cause of the CEOs. Thus, the Imagineers are in a sense forced to create an out of place or cheap version of their original in theme, extravagant concept.

They're alternatives? Say they refuse and get written up or worse, terminated.

...Joe...

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Get the Iodine!

Blog Entries

True, they aren't. But the more money they give to imagineers, the more better the attractions are likely to be. Money is one restraint that imagineers have to deal with. So the execs still do have a major role in the outcome of attractions because they control the money.

• DL Nerd

I just noticed there are two master Gracy(ie)s

• Knight that says Nee!!

Here here, I agree with you MG.

Unfortunately I think those plaques have become "just words" for so many Disney designers and planners now. Maybe I'll get flamed for this but I see Tomorrowland (even more than Frontierland) as a land that has completely lost its theming.

Do not mistake that for meaning TL isn't fun. There are many fun things there. I am a huge Star Wars fan, I enjoy Star Tours. My son and I have a ball on BLAB and my wife and I compete for "family high score" on it when ever we ride it. We loved the new Nemo subs. None of that changes the fact however that when I go there I get no feeling at all of "the World of Tomorrow" which Walt Disney had said he wanted guests to have there. Tomorrowland has become SciFiland. As I said, SciFiland is fun to be sure, but it is no longer within its original theme at all.

Frontierland is barely hanging on to what is left of its themeing, but I fear it will be the next to go.

I can hear many other MCers out there saying "so what." If they are still fun then who cares about the theme right? Disneyland was called the magic kingdom specifically because its design and attention to theme made it something more than an amusement park. I can go to many places much closer to my home and ride rides very similar to the ones in DLR. All of those places are also fun. Disneyland has that "magic" to it that used to set it apart from others, even other "theme parks" due to its superior theme work. That gap between DLR and the others out there gets smaller and smaller with every new concept introduced that forces the theme to move aside for a modern hit/fad.

whew...did I say all that out load??

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

**DISCLAIMER** To all who are offended, cheapened, disgusted, disheartened, enraged, discouraged, wearied, upset, annoyed, inconvenienced, or otherwise outraged by the mere presence of thematic criticism **DO NOT READ**
    In total agreement with MG here. It appears that 'theme' has been made attraction-specific, and not area-specific. Considerations for the broader thematic landscape has been replaced by a feeble myopic view focused only on the attraction's consistency unto itself, or the movie that inspired it.

This trend is why I haven't renewed my AP, or have any plans to visit the Park in the foreseeable future. I feel I don't have a right to get up on my soapbox and preach thematic discipline, while continuing to support the mistakes and poor decisions I rail against.

Great thread, Gracey.

•   
    • Blind to His Own Faults

Quote Originally Posted by Junthor View Post
    I just noticed there are two master Gracy(ie)s
    I disagree: there is only ONE Master Gracey!!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    **DISCLAIMER** To all who are offended, cheapened, disgusted, disheartened, enraged, discouraged, wearied, upset, annoyed, inconvenienced, or otherwise outraged by the mere presence of thematic criticism **DO NOT READ**
    In total agreement with MG here. It appears that 'theme' has been made attraction-specific, and not area-specific. Considerations for the broader thematic landscape has been replaced by a feeble myopic view focused only on the attraction's consistency unto itself, or the movie that inspired it.
    You're right in saying that theme has become attraction-specific. The disregard for area theming is a massive strain on the Magic Kingdom's integrity and quality, and the lack of vision within the Company to maintain said integrity and quality is a dangerous path.

| | |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast