• Fancy that...

Smile please show me your armchair imagineering ideas

ok so im not going to pitch any of my own (unless i comment back mabye)but please tell me yours ideas to enrich DLR

• DL Nerd

Re: please show me your armchair imagineering ideas

THis is SOOOO gonna be deleted..... (I don't mean it guys.... All in humor...)
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Long Distance Imagineer

I've already posted these in a few other threads, but there are a few ideas I haven't. These are a few years old, so some things may have already been taken care of.

Improvements For Disneyland

Cast Member Base:

1. Increase the number of attraction maintenance cast members per “land” within both Disneyland and California Adventure to maintain the attractions during park hours. These numbers can be increased during peak seasons. Cast members trained to only operate the attractions should not be fixing the attractions.

2. Rotate the shifts or lands for attraction maintenance cast members on an annual basis, including the graveyard shift. Training should be provided for those who wish to work with attractions that require additional training. This will help to eliminate burn out.

3. There should be a supervisor for each “land” on hand during park hours to oversee the attractions. If a non-working attraction looks like it will take a while to fix (especially if the attraction must be evacuated), the supervisor should have FastPasses on hand for those on the attraction, or for those who have waited 30 minutes or more in line. These FastPasses will transfer guests immediately to another attraction.

4. Increase the number of cast members during the peak season to assist in keeping public areas of both parks clean.

5. There should be “runner” cast members at each of the parks who gather checked guest purchases from each of the shops and take them to either a centralized location (See #1 of Park Layout), or to the concierge desk of their designated Disney Hotel.

Park Layout & Operations:

1. A building between the entrances of Disneyland and California Adventure should be constructed that will house all of the guest purchases, unless the guest is also staying at a Disney Hotel (see #5 of Cast Member Base).

2. There should be two Monorail systems for the Disneyland Resort.

• One Monorail system will be the “Park Hopper” system, with stops at 2 or 3 locations within each park and the Downtown Disney area. This Monorail does not go to the Disney Hotels.
    • The second Monorail will make one stop at Downtown Disney and then travel to each of the Disney Hotels.
    Those staying in Disney Hotels can board the Monorail, disembark at Downtown Disney, where they can either stay on the platform and take the Park Hopper Monorail system into the parks, or leave the platform to shop or dine at Downtown Disney.

3. Have each month designated as the “special” month for a Disney character. Arrange daytime parades around that character, and have a movie for that character playing in a theater built in Toon Town.

4. Coordinate the décor of attractions and shops associated with specific attractions with current Disney movies they may be involved in (i.e. The Haunted Mansion attraction had nothing on it indicating the upcoming movie, however Disney had the trailer already in theaters).

5. Tickets for admission should be one ticket for both parks, and modestly priced. Shade umbrellas and misters should be installed for outdoor lines for the more popular attractions.

6. The admission tickets should be priced in a tiered manner, according to the height limits and target age of the guest for each attraction.
    a. The first (&lowest) price tier would use both parks, but would only get you on the attractions geared towards young children.
    b. The second tier would be added to the first, and would allow admittance to specific attractions geared towards an older audience, but not including the fast roller-coaster type rides.
    c. The third tier would be the most expensive, where the guest would have full access to all the attractions at the parks.
    All of the tiers should be priced at modest amounts with the family in mind.

7. A "recess period" of about 1 to 2 hours should be initiated for those attractions not easily monitored in the control room. This would especially include the California Screamin' attraction, as this attraction requires the tracks to be manually inspected for cracks or deterioration.

8. This recess period would be regularly scheduled daily and announced to the guests at the park, so the guests would know to avoid that attraction during that scheduled time. This would allow the daytime shift of attraction maintenance cast members to regularly check the integrity of the attraction and make on the spot repairs as needed.

9. Those attractions that can be monitored, should be checked with a ride through at the change of each shift, and vehicles used in the attraction should be changed over mid-day as the daytime shift can check these vehicles to insure the integrity of the vehicle without having to stop the attraction altogether. Those vehicles used until the park closes should be checked over by the graveyard shift.

Merchandising:

1. Shops should contain not only items in keeping with their associated attraction, but also reproductions of items/costumes shown in any movies based on the attraction, i.e. Pirates of the Caribbean and the Haunted Mansion.

2. Merchandise should be modestly priced.

3. At each hotel, give guests preprinted shopping lists for each of the stores at both parks that could be turned in to the concierge. These items will be gathered, rung up on the hotel room account, and shipped to the home address for the customer for a minimal charge.

4. Another option for #3 is to have this available through a special “shopping” channel on the hotel room television. Using the remote, they can log in and shop, with the items billed to the room, while they are shipped to the guests’ home.

5. Merchandise for the parks should be handled through a computerized distribution system. This way, as inventory quantities lower, the computer will generate the order for more quantities. This will also make it easier for the DelivEars cast members to see what is in stock without having to call the shop, making serving the shopper much easier.

6. With the DelivEars program, you can use the serial number on your park admission ticket, and perhaps a character name printed on the park admission ticket to use as a password, to gain access to an online version of DelivEars, easing the need for cast members to man the telephones.

7. By putting DelivEars online with the above parameters, Disney Company management can also track statistically which days of the week produce the most shoppers, and also provide some opportunities for DelivEars “Dollars” to entice park guests to use the service on slower days.

Merchandise Opportunities:

1. Expandable Bags: These are polyester bags that fold into a zippered, inside pocket for storage. These could be used for guests who buy more than what they can hold in their luggage, without having to buy extra luggage that take up space when not in use.

2. Packages of FastPasses good for 1 year (or a specific date) could be made available to purchase in advance or at the admission gate.

3. FastPass Wallets: These are polyester wallets that hold the guest’s admission ticket for easy access; inside there are slots that hold FastPasses, plus a large pocket (similar to the dollar bills pocket in men’s wallets) to hold the guest’s claim tickets for checked purchases.

4. Disneyland Party Packs: packaged decorations, ideas and recipes for holding parties based on a specific “land” within the Disneyland Resort parks, and would include signs displaying attractions found in that specific “land”.

5. Home décor and bedding based on the attractions.

6. Jiminy Cricket safety movies on DVD, or on the Disney Channel.

Attractions:

Disneyland

1. Solar power should be used with the shops and restaurants, as well as the autopia cars, the monorail, and other attractions as can be accommodated. Large solar panels positioned high in the air could be installed along the main walkway into Tomorrowland.

2. Have a contest with Universities around the country for the most reliable solar-powered cars. The ones chosen would be used at the autopia, with the University’s logo painted on the car.

3. An under water adventure in a mini sub (like those used to view the Titanic), seen are some of The Little Mermaid characters, along with a selected few of the other sea stories presented in the past by Disney (i.e. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, the “undead” pirates of the Pirates of the Caribbean). The sub is chased by pirates through a “time warp” into the future where it comes across a sub “city”, made up of a home and restaurant. The sub docs under the water and goes into a home of the future, where there will be activities for people to participate in, along with a souvenir shop and the restaurant with the view. The kitchen would be above the restaurant (at ground level). Escalators with domed glass tops will take you out of the attraction.

4. Computer of the future attraction in Tomorrowland. The guest walks into a mock bedroom of the future for a boy who wants to demonstrate his newest computer toy: the human scanner. Where current scanners scan photographs, this one can scan the people themselves. There are, however, two speeds for this scanner. A slower one that rides through the lower level of the building, with an audio animatronics vehicle that will talk to the riding guests to explain where it needs to go and why while also speaking to the internal components of the computer. It will also speak with the audio animatronics internal components of the computers as well; gaining the permissions it needs to get from the boy’s computer to his friend at the receiving end. The ride begins with a small drop down, then progresses lower, then higher as the ride reaches it’s end.

The second speed is a fast speed with vehicles that do not have the audio animatronics on it, however there are lights on the sides that make it look like an electron streaking through the internal components of the computer. At one point, the slower vehicles will be riding through a dark tunnel with no walls along side, and the faster vehicles will be streaking by at a fast rate. The fast track vehicles will ride through the upper part of the building it is housed in, starting off with the vehicle passing through a bright strobe-like light and a fast acceleration to get the velocity going on the vehicle.

Both types of tracks will end at another boy’s room setting, after going through the lights of his human scanner. There could be an optional separate room set up to showcase the latest in the current computer technology.

5. Aladdin’s Magic Carpet Ride: A merchant in Arabia is trying to sell a new product, magic carpets with saddles. These are what the guests ride in, only the magic carpet decides it has a will of it’s own and takes off with guests in tour. The guests would get a ride through a “whole new world” of Arabia, with 3-D glasses to have effects jumping out at them as they ride. The ride ends in the ballroom of the palace, where Aladdin and Jasmine are greeting the guests as they disembark.

Disney’s California Adventure

1. A smaller version of the intersection of Mickey and Dopey at the Disney Studios. One side would house the Animation Department, the other the Imagineering Department.

2. On the first floor of the Animation Department would be a walk through museum, to be used in coordination with Animation classes by appointment only. The Animation classes would be a series of classes beginning with the basics of drawing Disney characters and concluding with computer animation.

3. On the second floor of the Animation Department would be a museum dedicated to Walt Disney.

4. There would be a second museum, this one on the second floor of the Imagineering Building in the Hollywood Pictures Back lot, dedicated to Roy O. Disney, and a second floor bridge connecting the two museums, Roy’s and Walt’s.

5. With the Imagineering building would be the Audio/Visual Department. It is actually a store, built like a movie theater, complete with the smell of popcorn in the air. Movies and Music would be sold there, as well as Audio/Visual equipment (stereos, dvd players, televisions, etc.)

6. With the Animation building would be the Morgue, where Cericells, Posters from the Motion Pictures, Posters from Disneyland and Disneyland Attractions, as well as books and other items pertaining to the Animation and Imagineering Departments would be sold.

7. In the Imagineering Department would be an attraction that takes a look at the evolution of the imagineering process, along with the evolution of the audio-animatronics figures used in Disney attractions. The Imagineer It! Class could be held in another room within the building by appointment only.

8. Another part of the Disney Studio Lot would be a studio building where one of the shows from ABC's lineup would be taped in front of the studio audience. The price for admission to this would be part of the first tier admission price. When the show airs, the opening segment would begin with spotlights in front of the California sign, and an off screen voice announcing that the show they are watching was taped at Disney's California Adventure.

9. Panning for gold in the Golden State land.

10. Trolley attraction in Paradise Pier land, the Trolley would be based on an animated movie telling the story of a brave trolley who saved fire fighters trapped in a fire by the pier carnival and, after being restored by the father of one of the firefighters, is permanently parked at the firehouse and becomes an official member of the fleet.

11. The Trolley attraction would premiere the same day as the movie for the Trolley, the premiere for the movie would be held at the Golden Dreams Theater.

12. A restaurant themed after the Princess Diaries in the Paradise Pier land, decorated in a European flavor after Genovia, and the guests would be required to attend a brief class on proper table etiquette before they would be granted permission to dine in the “royal banqueting hall”.

• ºoº Tom ºoº

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    ok so im not going to pitch any of my own (unless i comment back mabye)but please tell me yours ideas to enrich DLR
    I am confussed? Are you unsure of your ideas? Do you NOT want to share them because they might be taken by someone else? I don't understand why you would ask someone to share armchair imagineering and make a statement where you say you will withhold your own ideas except in private?

Just curious, perhaps you could fill me in.

• Fancy that...

Quote Originally Posted by ah schucks View Post
    I am confussed? Are you unsure of your ideas? Do you NOT want to share them because they might be taken by someone else? I don't understand why you would ask someone to share armchair imagineering and make a statement where you say you will withhold your own ideas except in private?

Just curious, perhaps you could fill me in.
    well, im not afraid of that, ive already said them- i don't want to repeat them and go on and on and on about the same thing-thats all

• Banned User

Here's my Halloween Parade idea:

DL Halloween Parade Idea.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by pianoman13 View Post
    well, im not afraid of that, ive already said them- i don't want to repeat them and go on and on and on about the same thing-thats all
    good imagineer never gets sick of talking about their work.
    Marquis d'Bod of the RCMC... always and forever

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Sneak preview of my current work in progress...

Armchair Blue Skying the Whole Resort (A work in progress)

Patent pending Patent pending Patent pending Patent pending
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• Long Distance Imagineer

Quote Originally Posted by monotonehell View Post
    Sneak preview of my current work in progress...

Armchair Blue Skying the Whole Resort (A work in progress)

Patent pending Patent pending Patent pending Patent pending
    Wow!!!!!!!

Do you think something like that would actually happen? If not, perhaps it could be built in Australia!

• Not like Crocodile Dundee

Adelaide, South Australia (8199 miles from DL)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cindersgirl View Post
    Wow!!!!!!!

Do you think something like that would actually happen? If not, perhaps it could be built in Australia!
    No, I just like bulldozers TEAR THROUGH DCA MWAHAHHA!

It's just a left field idea, it was supposed to shake people up a bit and get them to think laterally.

As awesome as it would be to have a DLR nearer me, I doubt that we'd have the population base and tourist levels to support a park the quality that I demand. We have around 4 parks in Queensland in the most touristic place you can get (Gold Coast, think Florida) and they're poorer cousins of DL and Universal.

Besides I love the original and best DL! I don't even like WDW that much.
    Disney FAQ#275: What is DCA?
    DCA stands for Disney Construction Area. All the Cast Members are themed with hard hats and steel toed boots.

• MA Reader Since 2003

Doh!

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..."
    -Albert Einstein

• Banned User

And here's the Dream Lights upgrade for either DLP or DCA.

• "I Break Things"

I think a brief scan of the threads will reveal many creative concepts from a variety of people. So if you have a thought either find a thread to add it to (subject specific) or make one!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"