Page 101 of 170 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111151 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 2545

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

That's incredible! I love the 4 heads singing together in a quartet...reminds me of something
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Inhospitable about happy

Melies was a genius. If you guys liked that short, check out some of his other flicks at youtube. The "Melomania" one features more fun with flying heads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpUg7p_JTPc

He's most famous for his 1902 film, "Voyage to the Moon." Many people don't seem to be aware that this wildly imaginative, crazy film is a parody of Jules Verne. This is the best youtube version: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Kpnb...eature=related

Pretty amazing stuff.

• =)

Many people don't seem to be aware that this wildly imaginative, crazy film is a parody of Jules Verne.
    I know I didn't! After I watched the first video, I looked around for more info and realized that. Interesting stuff. Any thoughts on how he might have done it?

Well, youtube also has a video of a very good little documentary on Melies. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXwGN2uSsn0

It looks like he used stop edit, dissolves, and double-exposure, and the rest is stage-magic tricks like "black art" (i.e., black-on-black makes something pretty hard to see). I think he used a mannequin head of himself for those extremely brief shots of him grabbing and tossing his head, combined with stop edits and double exposures to put his real thing in.

To someone who knows basic stage magic trickery and those three filmmaker tricks, I'll bet it's all laughably simple.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

I am familiar with filmmaker tricks and basic stage magic, and while I wouldn't say it's laughably simple, exactly, but I can think of several ways it could have been done using those. Simple though it may be, it's still impressive to see it done so effectively- much like the Mansion. Simple effects (ie-Pepper's Ghost) can be downright stunning when you take the time to do them right.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• =)

Oh, okay. I was under the impression it was all done live. Never mind, then.

I well remember the first time I saw what a face looked like under the harsh yellow glow of a sodium-vapor street light. They were in the parking lot at the airport, and I thought the guy I was looking at was ghastly. I thought he must be wearing heavy, Halloween-ish, corpse-like makeup. Of course, now I'm used to those lights.

From the descriptions I've been reading of these Bohemian cabarets in turn-of-the-(last)-century Paris, they used electric lighting and figured out very quickly how to use colored lighting to maximum effect.

I have a hunch that some of you are sick of the Cabaret du Néant by now. The posts taking us back to gay Paree tend to be thread-killers, for some reason. Well, suck it up and, if you must, scroll on by, because I've found another description. I missed this one earlier because the correspondent got the name wrong in the article. It's interesting because it's the earliest description I've yet found (1894), and it's obviously a very hostile review, for a change. This time, take note of the repeated references to green lighting.

The long description of a visit to the C du N in this 1899 book
    (http://books.google.com/books?hl=en&...KQji-vdZM7rZJk), which I mentioned several posts back, also mentions the green lighting at the entrance (p. 264) and the lighting in the passage going to the second room, where the Pepper's Ghost coffin show took place (p. 269):
    All the visitors rose, and, bearing each a taper, passed in single file into a narrow, dark passage faintly illuminated with sickly green lights....The cross effects of green and yellow lights on the faces of the groping procession were more startling than picturesque.
    Disneyland, of course, has been masterful in the sophisticated use of colored lighting.

Neither the 1894 nor the 1899 Cabaret du Néant accounts speak of the third room, in which an additional Pepper's stage enabled ghosts to interact with uncomprehending volunteers, but this effect is fully described in the 1901 account, so I guess they added it ca. 1900.

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

It sounds like one of the effects they used on the skits on "Kids In The Hall", "The Pit of Ultimate Darkness" with "Simon" and "Hecubus":

"The Pit of Ultimate Darkness" was a sketch about a horror-themed show which tried to be scary but failed greatly at it. It featured Sir Simon Milligan, "a man possessed by many demons—polite demons that would open a door for a lady carrying too many parcels—but demons, nonetheless." Kevin McDonald played the Crowleyesque Sir Simon, while Dave Foley co-starred as Simon's manservant Hecubus, whose strong sense of mischief provided much of the sketches' humor. While superficially he appears to be Milligan's fawning lackey, even addressing Milligan as "master," he actually delights in annoying Milligan at every opportunity. For example, Hecubus once spoiled the ending of Presumed Innocent to Simon. At such times, Milligan will point at him and yell, "Evil!"

The other members of the cast would often rib Kevin McDonald and ask why he hadn't named the character in the Hecubus scene - knowing full well that the character was named Simon - as a reference to the fact that fans would generally only remember Dave Foley's part of the sketch. According to DVD commentary, McDonald was originally to play Hecubus, with Mark McKinney as Simon. However, McDonald lobbied for the role of Simon, and after winning it, insisted that Foley should play Hecubus. McKinney ended up appearing at the end of the first sketch as Satan, who would go on to become a recurring character in his own right.

Evil! Evil! He-he!
    Last edited by nojarama; 02-24-2008 at 09:40 AM.
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Lego Peoplemover Priit

Cool Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

I never would've known that was gone...Thanks for letting me know...

• =)

I keep having Haunted Mansion dreams where everything is different...where the entire thing is a musical...or filled with party decorations...

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I keep having Haunted Mansion dreams where everything is different...where the entire thing is a musical...or filled with party decorations...
    Thats why the movie sucked... It needed to be a musical
    Last edited by DarthDucky; 02-23-2008 at 11:44 AM.

• =)

Nice. Well, in my dream, the ride was a sing-along sort of musical. I think you had to sing, or else you'd fall out of the bottom of your Doombuggy (which was shaped more like a Pooh ride vehicle) into a Splash-Mountain-esque drop. Go figure. Would it have improved the film? Perhaps.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

So on the topic of dreams, minor update on my novel, since I haven't really said anything in a few days and this is all I can think to contribute.
    I'm handwriting it, and between a play and a musical and production work and school and having a decently good social life, I have written 15 pages since August. The opening scene is Leota's mother thinking about a dream she had just woken from, where she is going through "a large white house of faded grandure, draped in black bunting as for a funeral, and she was the only mourner." I took the DL Mansion and tweaked the meaning of it all a bit, like that the stretching gallery shows "menacing scenes of the fates of the wicked" (the characters matched up to the portraits are all not-so-nice people, especially the Joyful Widow/Old Constance, named Josephine and the aunt/stepmother to Amy Beth, the Gorgan changing portrait and Leota's mother).
    I wrote a scene a few weeks ago that I was rather proud of. Now, the story cuts back and forth between the real world and the dreams Amy keeps having of the Mansion, and in the scene before the last I wrote she was talking to her husband, Adam (the Lightning Struck Knight), about a dream where two paintings loved each other but the painting of the knight got struck but lightning and so the girl, the gorgon woman, turned to stone. The very next scene is a dream, in the seance room. Amy doesn't know where she is, so she tries to ask Leota, but she's of no help as she keeps saying incantations to communicate with the dead. Finally she directs a few at Amy, as an ominous warning:
    "Past covered in paint, lying you've tried--
    The guilty all run to where they cannot hide.
    When something is lost, we all turn to stone.
    To be punished for sins, you'll die all alone.
    Lightning strikes twice, here comes the dawn:
    From now to forever, your knight shall be gone."
    Guess what happens to dear old Adam? Bwahahahaha. The character of Adam is based on a friend of mine and we recently had a huge fight, so when I write the next part I shall be very, very pleased with it. Though Amy, who is loosely based on part of my personality, will have to be crushed by it. I'd go more into detail--I have the story all worked out but it's just a matter of writing it--but I'm not going to.
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

Sounds cool!

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DarthDucky View Post
    See what happens in this musical Connie, has her love and son taken away from her. After 12 years of imprisonment she escapes and she seeks revenge. When she comes back to NOS she meets Master Gracey and rents out the attic, taking up her residence there. She marries unsuspecting men and takes off their heads working up to the judge (the man who sent Connie away) who had a man crush on her husband, the corpses are then made into sandwiches by Gracey and are sold at the local Blue Bayou restaurant.