Page 11 of 170 FirstFirst ... 891011121314213661111 ... LastLast

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    EDIT: BTW, is anyone else horribly offended by the subpar remix of the overture on the "Haunted Hits" album? The film version uses the choir differently, with surprisingly noticeable (and better!) results. The "Haunted Hits" release also needed the organ statements of GGG. Heck, the score should have been released on its own album, with some of the more repetitive cues omitted.
    YES! Though the score is one of the few really good tracks on the album. (Other good tracks being Oingo Boingo and Suzanne Vega, though both of which seemed vaguely out of place on this CD)
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

Oh, yes...as far as I'm concerned, that short suite of music from Mancina's score is worth ten times the rest of the album, easily. Okay, I lied...throw in the singing busts' music with that track, and then it holds true. But anyway, it just sounds so much better in the film version.

is a picture that my sister took with the flash on. With the lighting, it is apparent how dirty the doombuggies are and you can even notice a fan and its cords.

[/quote]

I'm hoping that nobody else was on the ride when your sister did this...

• Wait, what?

Blog Entries

I also never noticed that curtain

• =)

It's amazing what carefully placed darkness will hide. I noticed that especially the last time I rode the Haunted Mansion, on Friday.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

"Carefully placed darkness"....now that is a statement I like!
    dreams. come. true.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

At first glance/listen, yes. If you pay close attention, NO. The sets frequently bear superficial resemblance to their attraction counterparts, but a closer look will make you realize that very few sets are "inspired by" the ride, and nothing more. (The portrait gallery is one excellent exception--it's almost exactly copied from the DL queue.) The music is like PM's soundtrack in that it's orchestral and it uses GGG...but the resemblance stops there. PM's music is wild, passionate, flighty, and it relies on a female voice to symbolize Melanie's importance. Mancina wrote something a score for the movie that is alternately grimmer and more playful. He doesn't use 3/4 meter nearly as much, and his music doesn't take the "decayed elegance" approach that PM does. It focuses more on the creepy aspects of the visuals and the so-called funny aspects of the characters, whereas Debney's score for PM focuses on the twisted romance behind the attraction's story.

Just my two cents.
    True I didn't see it that way.

Heck, the score should have been released on its own album, with some of the more repetitive cues omitted.
    They really should have.

Also to note, I was looking through the Surrell book. In the movie section it talks about the dead in the mausoleum (spelling) and the description said that it was a slight reference to the underworld in PM, which yeah...

plus Melaine (the bride in PM) had a few Music Boxes and the music box in the movie releases Elizabeth (the movie bride) or summons her...

another PM influence?

• =)

They really should have.
    Of course, there is a full score release out there, given as a gift to members of the orchestra and crew but never sold to the public, featuring every single orchestral cue in superb sound quality...but you didn't hear it from me.

plus Melaine (the bride in PM) had a few Music Boxes and the music box in the movie releases Elizabeth (the movie bride) or summons her...another PM influence?
    I'd say so, yeah. That always struck me as Phantom Manorish. In fact, giving so much time to the story of the bride (Elizabeth) always seemed to be more strongly rooted in PM's Melanie than in our own bride. That was before Connie, of course, but as I've remarked elsewhere, her introduction to the mansion pulls the ride even further away from the film.

• or is it Namjij?

I've been reading the previous thread and this one over the last few days, and I have to say they are very interesting. Keep the info coming!
    All I can say is, Faldric Nomjitch would be a killer nic for an HM fanatic on the DB (or any other) chat boards. Wish I had thought of it.

• =)

I ought to sue you for stealing my name idea. And for the record, it's spelled namjij...

Welcome to the forum, Mr. Nomjitch. And how appropriate that you'd visit this thread.

• A Honorary Autobot

Though this is explicitly the Disneyland Resort section, I thought it fitting to bring up the updates on the WDW HM mentioned in Kevin Yee's "Tips Ahoy" article on MiceAge.com:

UPDATED! Haunted Mansion enhancements. In addition to fixing broken and worn-out effects throughout the attraction, the summer 2007 rehab will also introduce the crystal ball "floating Leota" effect from Disneyland. Also, the spider webs at the top of the staircase (near the start of the ride) will be removed, and a new "maze of staircases" effect will be added, channeling either Escher or Hogwarts, depending on how cynical your outlook is! The attic’s bride will be the black widow seen in California, and new graveyard animatronics will replace tired and worn ones. A footsteps effect (and a shadow effect) will provide new items to the ride that even the Anaheim version does not have.

"A footstep (and shadow) effect that Anaheim doesn't have?" What could this be? Is this possibly the original incantation of the Endless Hallway that was intended to feature speakers echoing heavy footsteps down the hall before ending with a rush of cold air blowing into the faces of the doombuggy occupants?

If anyone has any "light" to shine upon this new revelation, please share. This is exciting stuff for any HM fan, despite their coastal residence.

• Jail Bondswoman of RCMC

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Though this is explicitly the Disneyland Resort section, I thought it fitting to bring up the updates on the WDW HM mentioned in Kevin Yee's "Tips Ahoy" article on MiceAge.com:
    This thread is for anything HM, PM and the likes...

it only in DL section cause most people tend to look here.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post

UPDATED! Haunted Mansion enhancements. In addition to fixing broken and worn-out effects throughout the attraction, the summer 2007 rehab will also introduce the crystal ball "floating Leota" effect from Disneyland. Also, the spider webs at the top of the staircase (near the start of the ride) will be removed, and a new "maze of staircases" effect will be added, channeling either Escher or Hogwarts, depending on how cynical your outlook is! The attic’s bride will be the black widow seen in California, and new graveyard animatronics will replace tired and worn ones. A footsteps effect (and a shadow effect) will provide new items to the ride that even the Anaheim version does not have.

"A footstep (and shadow) effect that Anaheim doesn't have?" What could this be? Is this possibly the original incantation of the Endless Hallway that was intended to feature speakers echoing heavy footsteps down the hall before ending with a rush of cold air blowing into the faces of the doombuggy occupants?

If anyone has any "light" to shine upon this new revelation, please share. This is exciting stuff for any HM fan, despite their coastal residence.
    Can't wait to see the new changes. We have a family trip to WDW planned for next March. I'm sure others will chime in before then, if not, I have a fresh update in 7 months.

Chad

• Fighter Pilot

yeah we're going in October

• A Honorary Autobot

I know we've all heralded in the much needed refurbishments to the WDW HM, so even the sight of the WDW's queue void of the green canopy is exciting news. Finally, they finally got rid of that giant snot green pavilion that outlined the Mansion's waterfront property.