Page 121 of 170 FirstFirst ... 217196111118119120121122123124131146 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,815 of 2545

• =)

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Data could probably tell us the exact spot in Indy when you're standing on the proposed original location of the Haunted Mansion.
    As if I could even resist doing so! Looks like they were planning for a spot currently shared by the end of the bamboo canyon in the Indy queue and the end of the Pirates loading dock.

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Ding Ding Ding

It's the first room in the original Alice (19581983), the "upside-down room."

Damn. I shoulda been here a couple of weeks ago. I recognized it instantly.

Quote Originally Posted by fo'c's'le swab View Post
    My guess would be a Fantasyland DR (Pinocchio?) scene shown from an odd angle with 'spooky' lighting added.
    Dude. Next time you're here, I'm taking you on Pinocchio. *mutters to herself with head hung low*

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• Inhospitable about happy

Former Main Street pianist Alan Thompson Jr. plays Grim Grinning Ghosts (recorded for the Doombuggies.com blogspot: http://doombuggies.blogspot.com/2008...orms-grim.html )

This is a barn burner of a performance, thread-heads.

http://www.doombuggies.com/media/audio/alan_ggg.mp3

For another spectacular piano version of GGG, check out Chris Calabrese's supernatural performance if you've never heard it. It's on Ragtime at the Magic Kingdom and you can hear it here:

http://www.doombuggies.com/media_audio4.php
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• =)

Thanks for the links! I just came back from playing GGG on the piano myself, so I feel quite shamed now--but justly so.

• Grumpy old man

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Thanks for the links! I just came back from playing GGG on the piano myself, so I feel quite shamed now--but justly so.
    I ran a MIDI of GGG through a guitar tab program so I could it on guitar. It's quite fun.

• is too darn hot.

I wish I could play piano.

I should arrange GGG for brass quintet.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• =)

I wish I could play piano.
    Never too late to learn!

I should arrange GGG for brass quintet.
    Do it! I'd love to hear it. And if you put it off for too long, I may just do it instead.

Claude Coats has a reputation among Mansionites as, sorta, "Mr. Atmosphere" (or whatever). Spooky, moody environments, such as are dominate in the first half of the HM, are routinely attributed to his influence.

And rightly so. He did work on POTC too, and one suspects that there is more than a little Coats in the Blue Bayou and in the grottoes (for many people, the best parts of the ride).

Maybe not everyone knows that Coats was largely responsible for an earlier masterpiece of moody atmosphere, Rainbow Caverns. For those of you old enough to remember it, it's unforgettable. For the rest, alas, not only is it gone since 1977 but photos are relatively few, owing to the very qualities that made it so special: darkness and eerie colored lighting. There was also some pretty dreamy music playing in there.

I've scraped together a number of photos from hither and yon on the Net, but mostly from this site, which is a must for fans of the old Mine Train: http://www.keeline.com/MineTrain/

Behold, the handiwork of Claude Coats:

• =)

Thank you, Claude! I'm glad this particular bit of his work is still paid homage to by BTMRR and even by the Laughing Place in Splash Mountain to a lesser degree.

• Banned User

Wow, this thread is still going...and going...and going...

I thought the Disney marketing thread was the longest one on this site, but I was wrong. This is the real energizer bunny of threads. Well, I don't know if the following has been discussed yet, since I haven't had a chance to read through the entire (double) thread (gimme a month, I'll get through it) but I just have to mention two long forgotten Haunted Mansion effects I remember from my childhood visits to Disneyland (in the 70s).

Both of these really scared me (not that I was complaining, I've always loved a good scare). One was a spook which would jump out of a grave and go BOO! very suddenly, making you jump out of your seat. It might have been in the graveyard scene (I'm not sure when that scene was added, though). Anyway, on later trips to Disneyland, I was disappointed to find that the spook in question had been slowed down; he was still jumping out of the grave, but much slower, so that he really didn't startle you. The rumor I heard was that some seniors had actually gotten heart attacks because of the effect, so Disney turned it into a "kinder, gentler" spook.

Incidentally, on my December trip to WDW, I couldn't help noticing a spook popping out of a grave in the graveyard scene, although, again, not as fast as the old-time effect I remember. So, anyone know if the rumor I heard was true?

The other "long forgotten" effect (which I never forgot) scared me much more, but it is kind of hard to describe. At one point in the ride, I remember being in pitch darkness and suddenly something comes out at me in the dark and kind of flutters past my head like a bat, making a ghostly sound or high pitched sound, and actually making me scream. This effect was overhead rather than to one side, and intended to actually come right at the Doombuggy rider. Does anybody here know what I'm talking about? I'm sure I actually experienced this, and no, it wasn't some bad childhood dream. The effect disappeared later, probably cuz it was too scary and Disney got complaints.

I would appreciate any info you Disney experts could provide. I'm sure somebody on this site knows what I'm talking about -- please prove to me that I'm not nuts...

• =)

The rumor I heard was that some seniors had actually gotten heart attacks because of the effect, so Disney turned it into a "kinder, gentler" spook.
    Nope. Rumors abound regarding people dying of fright on the attraction but it's never ever happened.

It might have been in the graveyard scene (I'm not sure when that scene was added, though).
    Oh, it's always been there. Largely unchanged since the opening of the ride, actually.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Nope. Rumors abound regarding people dying of fright on the attraction but it's never ever happened.

Oh, it's always been there. Largely unchanged since the opening of the ride, actually.
    I could have sworn that the spook just doesnt come out of the grave with the same force as he used to.

What about the other effect I mentioned? Anyone?

• =)

I could have sworn that the spook just doesnt come out of the grave with the same force as he used to.
    There have been changes to the popups, yes. But the changes weren't due to people expiring in their Doombuggies.

That one I can't help you with. Sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post

The urban legends about the HM being scarier at the beginning and then toned-down are just that: urban legends. They are entirely false. Take it from someone who rode it when it was brand new.

There are seven pop-ups in the graveyard, they've always been there, and they are pretty much the same as they've always been. There used to be five pop-ups in the attic, all gone since Constance moved in (May '06). About 1:46 into this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFlBHfMd5vU) you can see them working on one of the graveyard pop-ups, and that'll give you a good idea of their original speed. Sometimes they get pretty sluggish and need servicing. The blast-ups (a different design for a pop-up) were quicker. Two of the five in the original DL attic were blast-ups, and there is still one in the DL graveyard (in front of the teaparty, coming out of the same tomb as the wine-glass arm). About 10:15 into this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E60nt-_f6Sw) you can see one of the original attic blast-ups. You can also see a sluggish, regular pop-up shortly after.

As for the swooping effect you describe, it sounds like nothing I've ever heard of.

• =)

The urban legends about the HM being scarier at the beginning and then toned-down are just that: urban legends. They are entirely false.
    I wonder how true that is of the Indy motion program? Lots of people say it's been toned down considerably, but I've never heard it from a reputable source.