Page 123 of 170 FirstFirst ... 237398113120121122123124125126133148 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,845 of 2545

• Grumpy old man

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by nojarama View Post
    Looks like something from "The Groovey Goolies" or even "The Wacky Races" (both shows are now on DVD BTW). Do they sell them at Disneyland? I'm going in a couple weeks & would love to snag one myself. I assume they'll be in the Autotopia area...
    I remember seeing them in the park in 2006 and they always end up at the Character Warehouse stores, so I assume they sell them in the park.

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    He says it's probably his most prized HM collectible. There's a pic posted online:

You oughta check it out in the original location: it's a high rez pic and you can blow it up pretty big for further examination: http://hauntedmansioncollectibles.bl...ions-dept.html

Also on that site are very high rez pix of "Guy the Ghoul"'s Phineas head. Yep, that's right: an actual, authentic, head from a Phineas-the-HHG figure.

Speaking of extremely rare items, I'll post this thing that I already posted on another thread. It belongs here, really:

The Haunted Mansion was really something! At first you go into a room that streches [sic] and then you go through a hallway with paintings that change! Then you ride through the rest of the house, (thru the attic where ghosts pop out at you and AAAAH!) finally you ride thru a graveyard where the ghosts have a party! It's not too scary but it's weird.
    That's from a letter I wrote to my cousin on August 28th, 1969. All too brief, but still, no Leota, no ballroom, and yet the pop-ups get a mention! (Too bad there's no shout out to the HBG either.)
    Last edited by HBG2; 04-07-2008 at 09:14 AM. Reason: add stuff
    "My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

...I second Data's reaction to what is in GRD's collection.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by nojarama View Post
    Looks like something from "The Groovey Goolies" or even "The Wacky Races" (both shows are now on DVD BTW). Do they sell them at Disneyland? I'm going in a couple weeks & would love to snag one myself. I assume they'll be in the Autotopia area...
    Autopia in Disneyland and Engine-EARS Toys in DCA are the best places to get Disney Racers. I believe I have also seen them at the toy store on main street next to the Carnation Cafe.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• A Honorary Autobot

As for the swooping effect you describe, it sounds like nothing I've ever heard of.
    Disneyfan121, as for your "second forgotten effect," it sounds slightly like a short-used "spook house" effect where weighted strings were hung from the ceiling tiles that were meant to swipe at riders' faces giving the allusion of going through cobwebs.

From what reports have stated, most of these strings (located in the attic mainly), were pulled from the ceiling by frightened guests. Sound and sight are one thing, touch is something totally different.

That's why the ghoulies at Knott's Scary Farm aren't allowed to touch guests. It can cause some pretty gnarly after effects.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Disneyfan121, as for your "second forgotten effect," it sounds slightly like a short-used "spook house" effect where weighted strings were hung from the ceiling tiles that were meant to swipe at riders' faces giving the allusion of going through cobwebs. From what reports have stated, most of these strings (located in the attic mainly), were pulled from the ceiling by frightened guests.
    Yeah, it reminded me of that a little too, but according to X the strings were gone within the first day or so. FWIW, I don't remember them being there Thursday, Aug 14th. So anyway, there's not much chance that the attic strings are the "forgotten effect" in this case.

Okay, trivia questions seem to do a lot to wake up the ol' Thread. All that talk about the graveyard epitaphs a few pages back got me thinking:

How many graveyards/burial grounds have been depicted at DL down through the years?

For the HM itself, I'd say four: two pet cemeteries, the "back yard" public graveyard in the ride, and the front yard family burial plot, which has morphed, expanded, and shrunk down through the years (original queue version, berm version, plus the various crypts that are still there; all of these being part of the same, single, graveyard as far as I'm concerned.) The exit is hard to place. Thematically, it's part of a large crypt complex connected with the "back yard" graveyard, so I don't count it as separate or as being associated with any of the front yard cemeteries.

Beyond these four, how many others are there/have there been? The Frontierland shooting gallery and the boneyard behind Ft. Wilderness have been discussed a bit recently, so there's two more obvious ones, giving us six. I can think of three or four more without breaking a sweat, so I'm up to nine or ten at the moment.

Get those macabre thinking caps on...

• =)

I can't think of any others at the moment, but I will say that I agree with your assessment of the exit crypt being an extension of the backyard graveyard.

Example of an indisputable one: The churchyard around Alice's church in Storybook Land.

Example of an incredibly obscure, debatable one: I believe the America the Beautiful Circarama film had shots of the Gettysburg National Cemetery (and maybe others).

Would you count the graveyard in the background of the Constance/Widow stretch portrait? I would. There's no evidence "Beloved George" is buried in the HM cemeteries, so it's probably a different one.

There are others....

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Was there one in America Sings with the Vultures?

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    Was there one in America Sings with the Vultures?
    You know, I thought about it, and I don't think so. But as it happens, I have some home video of that scene (from July 1987), and I'll look at it tomorrow.

Incidentally, if I ever get that video transferred to disc, I'll definitely have to post it. It shows them just beginning to work on Splash Mountain. There's this green work fence right by the HM, there's nothing but a hole where the train came out, and there's a rare view of the northern side of the HM with no Splash Mt blocking the view and nothing much else there either.

• Banned User

Disneyfan121, as for your "second forgotten effect," it sounds slightly like a short-used "spook house" effect where weighted strings were hung from the ceiling tiles that were meant to swipe at riders' faces giving the allusion of going through cobwebs.

From what reports have stated, most of these strings (located in the attic mainly), were pulled from the ceiling by frightened guests. Sound and sight are one thing, touch is something totally different.

That's why the ghoulies at Knott's Scary Farm aren't allowed to touch guests. It can cause some pretty gnarly after effects.
    BY George, I think you've got it! I really don't see what else it could be. And I only experienced it once in all my trips to Disneyland, which would indicate that this effect was discontinued quickly. Thanks, Rusty, I've been wondering about that for a long time. One question: was there a sound effect that went with it? I remember a ghostly/creepy sound (unless that was my own scream lol).

Quote Originally Posted by disneyfann121 View Post
    BY George, I think you've got it! I really don't see what else it could be. And I only experienced it once in all my trips to Disneyland, which would indicate that this effect was discontinued quickly. Thanks, Rusty, I've been wondering about that for a long time. One question: was there a sound effect that went with it? I remember a ghostly/creepy sound (unless that was my own scream lol).
    Do you have a time frame? Unless you rode the HM at DL within the first day or two of its grand opening in August 1969, then no, this isn't what you remember. The strings were gone after that and never put back in.

Now, they DID have that string effect in Snow White's Adventures, and there it lasted for awhile, but that too was a very long time ago (early 60's).

No sound effects, just strings hanging down that brush the face as you go through them.

• A Honorary Autobot

I'm always amazed how memory is such a "faulty camera lens in our minds." People can remember things being a certain way their entire lives to discover that their memory was way off. I recall images of the loading queue being something different than that of the "mists of darkness" but as HBG2 would contest, no such changes have ever occurred.

My only imaginative explanation would be a stretch of a "what if" scenario: What if the cobweb strings were reinstalled at some time or another only to be pulled down yet again by startled guests? It's an idea that would allow both HBG2 and Disneyfann121 to be right, but has ZERO evidence to account for it. Like I said, it's a "what if" scenario.

I'm always amazed how memory is such a "faulty camera lens in our minds." People can remember things being a certain way their entire lives to discover that their memory was way off. I recall images of the loading queue being something different than that of the "mists of darkness" but as HBG2 would contest, no such changes have ever occurred.

My only imaginative explanation would be a stretch of a "what if" scenario: What if the cobweb strings were reinstalled at some time or another only to be pulled down yet again by startled guests? It's an idea that would allow both HBG2 and Disneyfann121 to be right, but has ZERO evidence to account for it. Like I said, it's a "what if" scenario.
    Memory is also called "the most convincing of all liars."

It's all a matter of probability. Certainly it is possible that they reinstalled the strings, but is it likely that they would have put them in without doing something to rectify the problem that caused them to last only one day the first time out? And if they did fix the problem (by anchoring them more strongly), they would have lasted for a little while longer the second time, in which case you would think that more than one person would remember them being there (and even that one report is vague). So, while it's possible that the strings were put back, it seems to me highly improbable.

On another note, aashee's hunch was correct: there were tombstones in the "Boothill Boys" vulture scene in America Sings. I checked my home video this morning. So there's another DL graveyard and kudos to aashee.

Here's another one: the Indian Burial Ground that used to be on Tom Sawyer Island. Creepy and wonderful and a dose of historical and cultural reality, all at the same time.