Page 129 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2979104119126127128129130131132139154 ... LastLast
Results 1,921 to 1,935 of 2545

• Inhospitable about happy

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Who is G. Windrum?

If you Google that name + Disney you end up with only one factoid: G. Windrum was part of the team that did "If You Had Wings" at WDW. Other than that, I can't seem to scare up any more info on this Disney Imagineer. Don't even know what the "G" stands for.

We can add at least one more factoid to G. Windrum's profile, however: this Imagineer worked on the Haunted Mansion, and made a contribution worthy of a tombstone tribute in the graveyard. You'll have to look awfully hard to find it, however. See MURDNIWG on the far left?

"My mental facilities are twice what yours are, pea brain!"

The conversation continues at Long-Forgotten, the blog.

• A Honorary Autobot

Your picture brings up a reoccurring question that is rather interesting: What changes have the blast up and pop up ghosts gone through since 1969? Additionally, have the speed, timing, or acceleration of the ghost effects slowed or been modified at all?

Obviously, there were the short-lived (pun, sorry) groom pop ups and the unfortunately elimination of their adjoined screams, but what other changes have our spookiest residents seen? Heck, are their any more blast ups left at DL?

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Your picture brings up a reoccurring question that is rather interesting: What changes have the blast up and pop up ghosts gone through since 1969? Additionally, have the speed, timing, or acceleration of the ghost effects slowed or been modified at all?

Obviously, there were the short-lived (pun, sorry) groom pop ups and the unfortunately elimination of their adjoined screams, but what other changes have our spookiest residents seen? Heck, are their any more blast ups left at DL?
    Yes, there is one blast up in the graveyard from an above-ground tomb in front of the tea party (I think right there). As for changes...not my expertise.

Data, so you know I was able to get a contact at WDI. My math teacher's friend works there, and my teacher was awesome enough to toss a phone number my way. Yay for knowing people who know people!!
    dreams. come. true.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post

There are seven pop-ups in the DL and in the WDW graveyards, and they're the same seven as they've always been, and they act the same way as they always have, except for the swapping around of head styles. As for the blast-ups, with the attics de-nuded of all popups, the blast-up Bellhop describes—the one in front of the teaparty at DL—is the only one left in the entire Disney universe (as has been mentioned, incidentally, four times already in this thread, and as recently as 10 days ago; you are so going to flunk the exam ).

Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    There are seven pop-ups in the DL and in the WDW graveyards, and they're the same seven as they've always been, and they act the same way as they always have, except for the swapping around of head styles. As for the blast-ups, with the attics de-nuded of all popups, the blast-up Bellhop describes—the one in front of the teaparty at DL—is the only one left in the entire Disney universe (as has been mentioned, incidentally, four times already in this thread, and as recently as 10 days ago; you are so going to flunk the exam ).

Yeah, I was arguing that pop-ups used to be a lot scarier, because they would make you jump out of your skin. Then the micechat experts told me that those were called blast ups. I still think the blast ups were taken out to make the Mansion less scary for the kiddies and old people (even if the rumors about people having heart attacks in the HM are false).

• hatbox ghost believer

Thumbs up Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

OMG! I want one!!!!
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• Banned User

I still have a rather beaten up copy of the Haunted Mansion board game from the 70s. We played that one a lot back in the day. Now it's a nice nostalgia piece to have, although I doubt it's worth much in its current condition.

• The Ghost Relations Dept.

I wouldn't say that the blast ups were scarrier than your average popup. I think it was just a matter of looking at technologies that they could slowly eliminate and not have to reorder parts for. Plus, you have to realize that, for the graveyard, the wires that it flies up on are connected to the ceiling of the show building. And also, they are wound tight like a piano would be. It gets kinda dangerous if you have a 3 lb foam head jumping up and down on it all day.

• =)

I agree that the blast-ups were a lot scarier than the popups. To me, the popups barely have any value--and most of the value they do have is historical, as a sort of tribute to the dark rides of old.

I've always thought the maintenance guys must have a bias against the blast-ups in favor of the head-on-a-stick pneumatic rods. I note that whenever an alteration has taken place, the latter have always replaced the former; never vice-versa. WDW's attic blast-ups were replaced with head-sticks, and out in the graveyard they put a head-stick in the place where DL had (and still has!) a blast-up. Maybe the issue is the safety thing GRD mentions. Maybe there's something else about blast-ups that's a big pain in the maintenance dept's butt.

I can't imagine this bias came from the creative side of Imagineering. The blast-ups are so obviously better from the show perspective. The only drawback in that area is that the wires are sometimes a little too visible.

BTW: a little terminology: "pop-up" = both the blast-ups and the head-on-a-stick types. One of these has a cute name (blast-up) and the other does not, so it is usually just called by the more generic term of "pop-up" by default. (Hey, I didn't invent these terms!)

• Banned User

Blast ups are/were definitely scarier. Even if you knew it was coming, it would usually make you jump out of your skin.

However, I am happy to say that the pop-up in the graveyard at WDW did make me jump one time on my Florida trip last December. That's cuz I was sitting on the left of the Doom Buggy, riding alone, and the ghoul popped up just as I was passing, with exquisite timing. Of course, with the same timing, a blast-up would have left me pleasantly traumatised...

Sometimes it's rather easy to spot the inspiration for this or that idea in the HM. Thanks to this Ed Kahn sketch being at the DB.com site forever, many of you know that one of the crazy ideas the Imagineers kicked around was having changing portraits in which a man turned into vegetables:

There's other artwork following this theme too:

This was all inspired by a series of paintings done by Giuseppe Arcimboldo inn 1573, and if you've never seen them, they're quite a delightful eyeful:

• =)

Those things creep me out, man. ::shudder::

Speaking of things that creep you out, Datameister, remember the red-painted walk-way you were horrified to discover in old pre-opening photos? Well, it looks like they kept it red for years after the HM opened.

This one dates from 1974:

But backing up to again to the pre-opening era, I found a pic of the "Almost Sold Out" sign. Hard to say exactly where it was, but at least it shows the coloration. I still think this is most likely the one that was visible from the train.

• =)

Man...that's piteous.

Regarding the sign placement, I'm pretty sure we're looking southwest, from near the start of the (formerly) red pathway. That appears to be the foliage and green iron fencing on the left, with the extending queue in the background on the right, and the berm above it.