Page 41 of 170 FirstFirst ... 163138394041424344516691141 ... LastLast

• DL Nerd

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

thank you Very much!
    All your dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney

• Grumpy old man

That was a pretty awesome video. I love that staircase effect, would love to see it in person.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

I've been trying to keep up with this thread, but being a college student with a cold it's a little difficult

It's been discussed before that merchandise for the Haunted Mansion is rather limited. Well...

http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?D=30007&Dn=0&Ntt=30007&Ntk=p_categ oryID&Nao=0&langId=-1&storeId=10051&N=0&catalogId=10002Ν=p_productID&c ategoryId=30007

Looks like those HHGs finally have followed us home!

• Inhospitable about happy

Heh. Yeah, they sold those figures last Halloween too, so they're not new, but it's good to see them back, I guess. Notice that the names "Gus," "Phineas," and "Ezra" are used in this official Disney catalogue. That's the kind of thing that earns those names at least a semi-official status.

******break*******

Okay, Thread-heads, here's another one of those world-exclusive posts that keeps us all addicted: A picture of the original queue graveyard that you've never seen before. As far as I know, it's never been published or posted anywhere. GRD had it in his collection and kindly gave me permission to post it in this context:

Lovely, isn't it? Just for good measure, here are other pix of that graveyard that I've posted before, gathered conveniently into one place. The first one is now posted at the overhauled DB.com, so it's not so unknown anymore, but as I've done before, I'll put alongside it a modern picture of the same area for comparison:

The stones in that unpublished photo are, left to right, Cousin Victor, Wathel R. Bender, Brother Claude, and Phineas Pock. (In the bw photo you've got Phineas Pock, behind it Rolo Rumkin, behind that Francis Xavier, and coming up the right side Master Gracey and Grandpa Marc.)

And now a little discussion about the two graveyards in the original HM. You've got this one in front, and another one "in back" (the ride graveyard). How come there are two? Simple: the one in front is a private, family plot. The names indicate this: Cousin Victor, Brother Claude, Our Patriarch...Grandpa Marc. In back, by contrast, you have a public cemetery that happens to be right next to the house. Proof of this is the big iron gate leading to it, and the fact that many of the stones date from early in the 18th c. (1707, etc.) and thus obviously predate the house, which looks like something built no earlier than the 19th c.

When Collin Campbell did the illustrations for the Story and Song album, he clearly took that back graveyard for a public cemetery:

Hmmm. What's that say? Looks to me like "Whispering Glade Cemetery," but the first word is admittedly hard to make out:

This explains another detail about the Mansion: the Caretaker. If the house is just an old abandoned house, who's employing this caretaker guy? What's his connection to the place? Ah, but knowing as we do now that we have a public boneyard out in back, the mystery is solved. The caretaker has NO connection to the old, private, abandoned house next door: he's the caretaker for Whispering Glade, a public cemetery.

So there you have it.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great find HBG. Special thanks to GRD for letting us in on your treasure.

HM needs those tombstones back. It's one of those very inexpensive plusses that adds so much to the experience.

Quote Originally Posted by aashee View Post
    HM needs those tombstones back. It's one of those very inexpensive plusses that adds so much to the experience.
    Totally right.

Here's a little bigger version of that photo, for those who may want to snatch it for their personal files of HM goodies. You'll notice there are no epitaphs on the outside walls. Those were added later:

• Dapper Dan-nabe

As someone who is newish to the left coast, are the tombstones with the HHG heads on them new merch in the park this year, or have they been around before?
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Great photos HBG2! I'd love to see some tombstone back.

Quote Originally Posted by SilentDante View Post
    As someone who is newish to the left coast, are the tombstones with the HHG heads on them new merch in the park this year, or have they been around before?
    That Tombstones that they're selling in the parks were sold last year exclusively on DisneyShopping.com. Either they had a big overstock of them, so they're trying to get rid of them in the parks now this year, or they were so popular online that they're selling them to parkgoers, too. It's interesting though, that the tombstone aren't available on DisneyShopping this year...

I did see, in somebody's photos that they're actually selling the Hitchhiking Ghosts big figs at Walt Disney World along with the light-up tombstones, which is interesting.

You can order the hitchhiking ghost big figs on DisneyShopping.com in their Halloween section (and you can get 25% off too, if you order today!)

http://disneyshopping.go.com/webapp/...Nu=p_productID

It's interesting, cause last year DisneyShopping sold a Bride big fig, too. But maybe now that the US parks no longer have a bride that looks similar to the big fig, they've discontinued her?

They've also discontinued this tombstone that arguably features the Hat Box Ghost:

These stepping stones and personalize HM plaques are no longer available, either

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    They've also discontinued this tombstone that inarguably features the Hat Box Ghost:

There, fixed that for ya.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    There, fixed that for ya.
    Ah, thank you

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

I just googled "Whispering Glade Cemetery" and it turns out that was the name of a cemetery in the 1965 comedy "The Loved One." Maybe this was a favorite movie of Collin Campbell

However, I'm not quite convinced the word is "whispering."
    In the small picture, it looks like it might be "Mcsomething"
    In the larger picture it looks like "WHIRSRUN"

• Grumpy old man

All the talk of HM merch reminds me of a piece my dad has in his shed from the Mansion, probably from the 60s or 70s thats a wooden tombstone with his name on it. I should take a picture of it. That piece of merch plus my dad's love the Mansion led me to being a Mansion fan, even though I was scared to death of it as a child.

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyOrangutan View Post
    I just googled "Whispering Glade Cemetery" and it turns out that was the name of a cemetery in the 1965 comedy "The Loved One." Maybe this was a favorite movie of Collin Campbell

However, I'm not quite convinced the word is "whispering."
    In the small picture, it looks like it might be "Mcsomething"
    In the larger picture it looks like "WHIRSRUN"
    Hmmm. The "G" on the end seems reasonably clear to me. Compare with the G in "GLADE." The W-ish squiggle before it is read easily enough as an I-N to go with our G. The preceding R is the clearest letter in the word. So, --RING. That could be an S or an E before the R. An E makes more easily for a more natural English word. That gives us --ERING, and from there I guess the WHISP-- and have no real trouble fitting these letters to the forms of the paint strokes. The fact that "Whispering Glades Cemetery" is attested in a macabre film comedy about the funeral industry just a few years before this painting was done is certainly noteworthy.

Interestingly, "Whispering Glade Cemetery" in The Loved One is a satirical send-up of Forest Lawn Memorial Park in Glendale. Here's a bit from the Wikipedia article on Forest Lawn:

Forest Lawn's 300 acres (1.2 km˛) of intensely landscaped grounds and thematic sculptures were the inspiration for the biting commentary of Evelyn Waugh's satirical novel The Loved One and Jessica Mitford's acerbic The American Way of Death. Many commentators have considered Forest Lawn to be a unique American creation, and perhaps a uniquely maudlin Los Angeles creation, with its "theme park" approach to death.
    Walt Disney is buried at Forest Lawn.

• A Honorary Autobot

Sadly, the Imagineers left in charge of returning the HM back to its former glory after the first HMH overlay has made the exploration of this point moot.

If the cemetery was still there, we would be able to deliberate this topic further...

Thus making the public outcry for the return of the cemetery (both private and public) all the more poignant.

Frankly, I would rather have the cemeteries (plural) returned to the HM grounds before we got Constance 2.0 (though, I am very interested in seeing that Connie's 2nd iteration will be like).

As for the previous query as to the eventual refurbishment of the HM, I agree with HBG2's view that TDA might delay the comprehensive refurb until the gremlins are worked out of the WDW version.

Of course, this argument does brandish some particular kinks in its armor, as WDW waiting less than a whole season to close down the HM for a refurb after the advent of Constance's commandeering of the attic. Why would DL take more time than WDW? I'm not entirely sure...

So what are we guaranteed for this January '08? I believe only the revised sound system. Is there more to come that I'm not mentioning? If you know, please post it ('cause I don't know).

Will the foyer get a fluidly-aging April December in the next two years? I doubt it, only because it appears that Constance is the matron of this house and has very little tolerance for any headstrong underminers.

Will the loading queue be converted into the Chamber of Stairways? Doubtful for the same reasons that HBG2 and GRD mentioned during another post: The Imagineers are careful not to reveal the HM's haunted secret too early in the show.

Showing a chaotic chamber full of ethereal stairways leading off into oblivion so early will give away the gag too soon. If anything, a dusty library or windowed study inhabited by some meddlesome poltergeists is more TDL's style...

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Will the loading queue be converted into the Chamber of Stairways? Doubtful for the same reasons that HBG2 and GRD mentioned during another post: The Imagineers are careful not to reveal the HM's haunted secret too early in the show.

Showing a chaotic chamber full of ethereal stairways leading off into oblivion so early will give away the gag too soon. If anything, a dusty library or windowed study inhabited by some meddlesome poltergeists is more TDL's style...
    I'm not so sure about this. The main thing is that no ghost materialize before Madame Leota has her say. The ghostly footprints are exactly that: footprints, traces left by ghosts, but the ghosts themselves are still unseen. The surrealistic staircase architecture would not be too early: we've already had a stretching room and moving busts, after all.