Page 48 of 170 FirstFirst ... 233845464748495051587398148 ... LastLast

• Lowering Expectations

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    If you enjoy NBC, I greatly envy you.
    It's more like, I don't hate it.

And I totally know where you and MG are coming from about how NBC overlay introduces a flashy, colorful, LOUD tone in an otherwise somber, foreboding mansion. But I will say that Mr. Toad's facade, depicting Toad Hall itself, is fairly dignified compared to the cartoonish flats within. Granted there's no garland festooned with skulls.
    Follow news-savvy @DLtoday on Twitter by clicking on the banner below:

• =)

It's more like, I don't hate it.
    Well, I can almost relate to you there.

But I will say that Mr. Toad's facade, depicting Toad Hall itself, is fairly dignified compared to the cartoonish flats within. Granted there's no garland festooned with skulls.
    Again, good point.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Whoa... is that supposed to be snow?
    NBC overlay. Woo...

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Oh, come on, you don't like the cotton snow and the 2D plywood black-lit cutouts, and the obnoxious singing plants, and the oversized Jack Skellington head in the Portrait Chamber rafters?

Yeah, I don't much like it, either.
    2D plywood black-lit cutouts are a staple of Disneyland dark rides. Whether or not they belong in the mansion is another topic.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by 2DieFR View Post
    And yet nobody complains about the very 2D plywood black-lit cutouts in Mr. Toad, or the plastic bags on the floor of Peter Pan's Flight that pass as clouds, or the fact that Buzz Lightyear in BLAB is oversized.

HMH was never supposed to be "realistic." It's a ghoulishly glorious sight, and it's stated by the Ghost Host that the mansion was changed[...] covered, adorned, and deranged, and that the result is sometimes alarming. (I suppose that's a different kind of "alarming" for you, MG? ) Nobody said anything about staying within a realistic style; heck, is the Nightmare Before Christmas film a realistic style? Gracious, no.

Furthermore, countless threads have been made speaking out against flash photography inside attractions. There are a host of other places in dark attractions that look downright nasty or fake when captured in a flash picture.

I don't have anything to retort about the obnoxious singing plants, except that I'm kinda fond of them.
    I didn't mean for this to become a HMH debate thread, but I guess if it must...

You arguments for HMH clearly prove that its out of place in the Mansion. The Mansion is NOT the typical Fantasyland dark ride. The overt use of black lighting in the wrong places, the addition of 2D cutouts, and obnoxious show elements added during Haunted Mansion Holiday clash tremendously with the original show. The two just don't meld.

In the past people have made the argument that the entire point is that is IS NOT supposed to meld together nicely because Jack Skellington doesn't know what he's doing. But I think that's a cop-out. There's simply no excuse for 2D cut outs, or so much black light that it illuminates show scenes so much that you can clearly see ceiling tiles and "backstage" elements without even seeking them.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is everything that Haunted Mansion is not - it's garish, it's tacky, its bright. The two shows just don't go together.

Saying that the Fantasyland darkrides get away with 2D cutouts and tons of black light is a terrible defense for HMH simply because The Haunted Mansion itself is NOT a Fantasyland darkride... so changing it into one for 4 months out of the year seems incredibly knuckleheaded and ill-concieved.

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    I think the problem we have with the NBC overlay, 2DieFR, is the fact that the overtly cartoonish (and sometimes cheap) NBC props are placed into the realistic/creepy environments of a very different dark ride. An NBC dark ride might work better without the gloriously lavish and atmospheric sets, since there'd be less contrast.
    Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    2D plywood black-lit cutouts are a staple of Disneyland dark rides. Whether or not they belong in the mansion is another topic.
    The Haunted Mansion isn't the typical Fantasyland dark ride. And that's precisely why 2D cutouts don't belong in the Mansion.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• hatbox ghost believer

Cool Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

I guess we'll all never agree on HMH. I love it myself. I guess you have to be a fan of the NBC film to really appreciate it. And yes, Jack is supposed to have "decorated" the mansion wrongly (that's part of the charm of the film & the overlay). What I don't understand is why peeps harp on a "minority" part of the overlay. I believe the only area with "cardboard cut-outs" is in the limbo loading area. Better than the barrenness of the original IMO.

The attic is my fave part of the overlay (tied closely with Zero in the endless hallway), as the giant snake still cracks me up, just like in the film- and I'd love it even more if they placed the frightened children from the film (but that might not go over well with the parents) throughout the ride. AAAAGGGHHH!!! He-he! (Guess I'm going to Hell for that one... see ya there!)

If there are cheesy parts to moan about, I agree the big giant head of Jack in the stretching room is a bit ridiculous (although I LOVE the shattered glass stretching portraits- and the neon adds to the scenes IMO- especially in the attic). But I have never liked the comicical scream after the lights go out in the original. They should have used the trademark scream from the "Chilling, Thrilling Sounds Of The Haunted House" IMO. Then, the GH's "Oh, I didn't mean to frighten you prematurely" would really be relevent...

The main thing we need in the overlay is more Sally! They have a Sally animatronic in TDL that we desperately need in the DLR version.

To each is own I guess...
    Last edited by nojarama; 10-04-2007 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Spelling Errors
    Jon A. Leslie
    nojarama
    http://www.nojarama.com

• is too darn hot.

I am a fan of Nightmare. In fact, I absolutely adore that movie. I just thing HMH was done wrongly. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• A Honorary Autobot

While many will bemoan the HMH overlay, I will happily express my enthusiasm for TDA using more articulate animatronics such as the very active Oogie-Boogie.

If only our full-time residents could get a little love in the articulation department, I would be ecstatic!

And just be thankful, Jack and Sally could have become permanent residents of the house on the hill.

• Dapper Dan-nabe

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I am a fan of Nightmare. In fact, I absolutely adore that movie. I just thing HMH was done wrongly. Doesn't mean I don't enjoy it.
    I'm totally with you. I love Nightmare, I just feel like HMH could be so much more. Admittedly, based on pictures and reports I had seen before I rode it, it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. And I do really enjoy it, it just gets a little old. I'd probably like it a lot more if they waited until after Halloween to put it up.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• Happy Haunt

Referring back to the maquette photos, I have a few taken back in January 2003. They include the decapitated knight, hitchhiking ghosts, opera singers, and singing busts.

http://www.ghostlygallery.com/jan03/index.htm

Also, regarding the kitty cats - the whole animation sequence of the Phantom Five is great. The horn player on the right plays a high note, pointing his horn up toward the owls sitting on a branch above him. The owls extend their necks and hoot, and the cats down below move their heads and meow. The movements and sounds synchronize to add more to the scene than a still photo can capture.
    Dead Men Tell No Tales...

• Inhospitable about happy

Wow, thanks a mil for sharing those, ste3ve. I was particularly fascinated to see how closely the headless knight matches one of the three concepts for him that preceded the fourth and final incarnation (i.e., companion to the Jailor and Prisoner).

The fact that this operatic, stein-swinging knight made it to maquette stage makes me think it was probably later than the other two concepts for him (i.e., the hitchhiking ghost and the fierce-looking solo figure).

Don't know why that's fun to know, but it is.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by nojarama View Post
    I guess we'll all never agree on HMH. I love it myself. I guess you have to be a fan of the NBC fim to really appreciate it. And yes, Jack is supposed to have "decorated" the mansion wrongly (that's part of the charm of the film & the overlay). What I don't understand iswhy peeps harp on a "minority: part of the overlay. I believe the only area with "cardboard cut-outs" is in the limbo loading area. Better than the barrenness of the original IMO.
    Limbo's cut-out scene is the biggest offender, no doubt. However, immediately before the Endless Hallway, the walls have bright, black-lit cut-out Christmas presents. I would also consider the floating oversized tarot cards in the Seance Circle to fall into the cut-out category because instead of 3D items representing what Leota is talking about, we get tarot cards... its a cheap cop-out. The presents in the attic might as well be cut-outs too. All they are painted plywood... nothing particularly special about them, and the attic is FILLED with them. Lock, Shock, and Barrel at the end of the attraction are cut-outs, as are the "gifts" you get from Oogie Boogie.

| | |

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Let's face it: pretty much the only coolness about the HMH overlay is the outside decor--which I actually find quite good--and the stained glass windows in the stretching gallery. Everything else seems very thrown together to me....
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

Let's face it: pretty much the only coolness about the HMH overlay is the outside decor--which I actually find quite good--and the stained glass windows in the stretching gallery.
    No to the first, yes to the second.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by BellhopPrincess View Post
    Let's face it: pretty much the only coolness about the HMH overlay is the outside decor--which I actually find quite good--and the stained glass windows in the stretching gallery. Everything else seems very thrown together to me....
    Agreed.

| | |

• Inhospitable about happy

NEWS FLASH.

Reports coming in that the attic wedding portraits at WDW are finally working, and working perfectly.