Page 50 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2540474849505152536075100150 ... LastLast

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Being who I am I must point out that the name of the movie is An American Tail as it is about mice. But yes, I see the striking similarities between the art in that movie and that concept art also.
    Wow, Coats was a tall man.
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 10-07-2007 at 01:47 PM. Reason: i TOTALLY blanked on whose family i could have married into....LOL
    dreams. come. true.

• MiceAge Columnist
    • Dateline Disneylander

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Another good catch. Yeah, sometimes shards and fragments of what once were larger concepts show up all over the Disney landscape (in much the same manner, come to think of it, as finding disconnected bits of Rolly's original MW showing up here and there in the finished HM).

Hey, here's another youtube of interest to HM fans: rare scenes from the centenniel that were deleted when the POTC section was televised in 1967 and when this sequence was included with the Curse of the Black Pearl DVD. They're of interest because they let you see two HM Imagineering giants: Blaine Gibson and Claude Coats. (Claude was tall--look how he towers over Walt).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BT1azMtQOc
    Claude Coats is my hero. That guy = Bloody brilliant.

I love seeing old clips like this. Everybody seems truly interested in what they're creating. They seem genuinely happy with their product, and most of them, especially Walt, excited about it.

I can't help but wonder if present-day Imagineers get to feel that way very often, with paltry budgets mostly only allowing attractions like The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh and Monsters Inc to be funded.

Photos, news, and commentary every week from Walt Disney's Magic Kingdom!

| | |

• is too darn hot.

That's one of the things I love about seeing video of Walt. He always seems genuinely thrilled to be involved with his projects, almost like a kid in a candy store.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• Inhospitable about happy

Quote Originally Posted by MasterGracey View Post
    Claude Coats is my hero. That guy = Bloody brilliant.
    Absolutely. I've made a big deal of the fact that his influence continues to be felt, insofar as the new stairway effect looks like it was inspired by Coats concept art:

But that's not the only example. Here's a rarely seen piece of Coats HM concept art, featuring a menacing silhouetted figure in a window with blowing curtains:

Well, I wish I had a better picture, but check out the Phantom on the far right, standing in the window of the ballroom at Phantom Manor:

Last edited by HBG2; 10-07-2007 at 01:40 PM.

• =)

A lot of Claude's work is really fascinating. As I've said before, I feel like Marc Davis did really fabulous character work, and it certainly helps expand the mansion's audience range so it encompasses the younger years, but it's the environments that really make the mansion shine. The creepy vignettes. The implication that there are spirits present. Some of his stuff is a little too weird for me (albeit not to the degree that Rolly Crump's work was) but overall, it's great.

GRD's got a new blog up, and it's a pretty good one. Shows the high degree of subtlety that the Imagineers sometimes demonstrate.

http://ghostrelationsdept.blogspot.c...ould-kill.html

That's the sort of thing that's reassuring for us hardcore, Thread-head, over-the-top, HM obsessives. I mean, who else would notice something like that?

• I'm listening to KDROID

Dunno if anyone's pointed out this video and the potential and possibilities of such a device in the mansion, but noting how someone had posted the hologram generator and its Star Tours capabilities, I was thinking how excellently this device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zRmffRIifE

could be implemented into the Mansion. Expensive, yes, but if it's as silent as is insinuated, I can only imagine how awesome some effects can be.

Think of a new generation of pop-up ghost, one that appears literally right in front of a doombuggy, that suddenly materializes and wavers much like a spook would. And any retaliation by a guest would prove ineffective, as all they accomplish is the wafting of the air, with no damage whatsoever to the effect. It could literally "disappear into thin air" and lie in wait for the next unsuspecting doombuggy.

It could be like a reinstatement of the armored knight who walked around, a scare that was literally right-in-your-face.

Since it only compresses the air for a limited area, it woudn't interfere with other projected effects, unlike a fog effect would a la PotC's Davy Jones.

Of course, if this has already been flaunted in an earlier Thread post, ignore my oversight.

• =)

GRD's got a new blog up, and it's a pretty good one. Shows the high degree of subtlety that the Imagineers sometimes demonstrate.
    Interesting! While I still have reservations about how poorly the new attic stuff fits into the overall feel of the mansion, I can't deny that this is an example of high-quality Imagineering...just in the wrong attraction, IMO. :P

SFH, that's a very cool video! I hadn't seen that before. If the air stream can form reasonably quickly and if it really is just "compressed air"--which I doubt--it could work very well in the mansion. The popup ghost idea would be really great--I imagine it'd be best to install it upside-down from the ceiling. The ghosts could convincingly descend at random intervals in various spots. That'd give the air time to disperse. It'd be difficult to avoid having guests see the projectors, though. Really hard. And I don't want to be hit on the head by the same "Ooh, look, Davy Jones--AAAH, BLINDING LIGHT IN MY EYES!" sort of experience that we now have the pleasure of riding through in POTC. Hmmmm...

SFH, that's pretty cool. Of course, one of the things Disney needs before they adopt and adapt any new technology like this, is confidence that the thing is rugged. It's going to be running most of the day, most days, and it better not break down all the time.

Well, this time for sure. I've made these noises before, but not followed through.

Sorry, friends, but I need to break the HM addiction long enough to write my doctoral dissertation. The ever-patient Mrs. Hatbox has justifiably protested, and I've agreed to leave it alone. It eats up the hours, you know?

This thread is about to break into the top ten most viewed threads of all time at Micechat, and like the first Thread (which is #2), there is no derailment in sight, no nasty food fights, nothing but enjoyable conversation and interesting info as far as the eye can see. I hope you guys carry on.

I'll be back eventually, but it's going to be a long while. So for now, adieu.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Sad just sad. Good luck HBG. Drop by every now and then to say hi. This thread will sorely miss your dedication.

We wish you the best! Well, at least I do!

Chad

Siggy siggy sig sig.

• is too darn hot.

Quote Originally Posted by HBG2 View Post
    Well, this time for sure. I've made these noises before, but not followed through.

Sorry, friends, but I need to break the HM addiction long enough to write my doctoral dissertation. The ever-patient Mrs. Hatbox has justifiably protested, and I've agreed to leave it alone. It eats up the hours, you know?

This thread is about to break into the top ten most viewed threads of all time at Micechat, and like the first Thread (which is #2), there is no derailment in sight, no nasty food fights, nothing but enjoyable conversation and interesting info as far as the eye can see. I hope you guys carry on.

I'll be back eventually, but it's going to be a long while. So for now, adieu.
    We'll miss you. Be sure to email us all copies of your dissertation and video of your defense.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Git already, HBG! Finish it and we'll all be proud

No food fights eh? That can be changed!!
    *throws a custard pie at BassBone*

EDIT: my 666th post. Spooky
    dreams. come. true.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Rare stretching room video after HBG2's departure: