Page 52 of 170 FirstFirst ... 22742495051525354556277102152 ... LastLast

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

I noticed the speakers are different on the buggies in Mansion when I went last weekend, or I was just actually paying attention to them this time.
    Last edited by CaitlinMcFly; 10-22-2007 at 04:59 PM. Reason: clarity. you guys can't read my mind. i know this now.
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

It's doubtful that we'll be enjoying the new fangled sound system effects, improved Omnimover system (smoother, more fluid motions, better articulation, etc.), the fabled Constance 2.0, HBG return, or a new loading queue anytime soon.

Rather, I'd go with what HBG2 mentioned weeks earlier in that if such additions are scheduled to be made to the TDA HM, it won't be until late this year, or, after the 2008 HMH. Why so late? Cause, it's the HM's 40th Anniversary, that's why.

Also, this time period allows for enough time for Imagineers to "fool proof" the WDW modifications before imposing them upon the DL HM. I liked GRD's new blog about the music room at WDW. This evidences that Imagineers are not just adding new technology but also wanting to add to the spooky ambiance of the manse. Good work!

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Oh let's hope so, Rusty. I'm already psyched about the new additions!
    More Constance musings to add to everyone else's, randomly. (Let's face it, the thread is going slow these days, I figured now is as good a time as any to get conversation going.) Why does Constance wear the same wedding dress in each picture? If she was, in fact, moving up in the world as we speculated, why did she not get a better dress with the money she had from the previous husband? I liked The Thread's fanfiction-esque filling-in of her background--some downtrodden Southern belle forced to marry a carpet bagger, only to kill him and move up in the world--and that story makes me wonder....While a woman would be desperate enough to kill a man she was forced to marry to take his money, why didn't she burn the wedding dress? That would be the first thing I would do.
    Okay, I know, they probably only had one costume, but my question still stands.
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

Actually, quite the opposite, Bellhop.

Being married, I got an intimate lesson in this. Most women are wired from an early age to regard their wedding as their day to truly be a princess. The settings, flowers, location, music, etc. all need to be perfect as per their deeply ingrained vision, and the dress is the single-most important part of that dream.

Connie might be a heartless murdering succubus, but she's still a woman. Even if Connie knew the time limits of each of her marriages beforehand, she picked a wedding dress that fulfilled that girl-like fantasy and made her feel like a princess while wearing it. The sentimentality of the dress was never tied to her particular spouses. It just made her feel pretty.

That is why so many mothers hand their wedding dresses down to their daughters. It's not because the daughter really wants to wear her mom's dress, but because the mom never felt more attractive than the day she walked to the altar in that gown. Too often, their wedding day is remembered as being their greatest day of their lives.

In fact, I believe that a certain creative diagnosis can be construed here. Maybe Connie is perpetually infatuated with being a bride. It is on that day that she, and only she, is the center of attention. Sure, the money is nice, and she might be a little OCD when it comes to monogamy, but it's possibly the oohs and aahs that are her drug. Why else would an aged, weathered woman (as per her portrait in the Gallery) reappear as a youthful, ethereal bride in the afterlife?

I believe it is because playing the role of a bride is intrinsically ingrained in her psyche. It is her addiction. She must always be a bride.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Great post Rusty. Very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle View Post
    Actually, quite the opposite, Bellhop.

Being married, I got an intimate lesson in this. Most women are wired from an early age to regard their wedding as their day to truly be a princess. The settings, flowers, location, music, etc. all need to be perfect as per their deeply ingrained vision, and the dress is the single-most important part of that dream.

Connie might be a heartless murdering succubus, but she's still a woman. Even if Connie knew the time limits of each of her marriages beforehand, she picked a wedding dress that fulfilled that girl-like fantasy and made her feel like a princess while wearing it. The sentimentality of the dress was never tied to her particular spouses. It just made her feel pretty.

That is why so many mothers hand their wedding dresses down to their daughters. It's not because the daughter really wants to wear her mom's dress, but because the mom never felt more attractive than the day she walked to the alter in that gown. Too often, their wedding day is remembered as being their greatest day of their lives.

In fact, I believe that a certain creative diagnosis can be construed here. Maybe Connie is perpetually infatuated with being a bride. It is on that day that she, and only she, is the center of attention. Sure, the money is nice, and she might be a little OCD when it comes to monogamy, but it's possibly the oohs and aahs that are her drug. Why else would an aged, weathered woman (as per her portrait in the Gallery) reappear as a youthful, ethereal bride in the afterlife?

I believe it is because playing the role of a bride is intrinsically ingrained in her psyche. It is her addiction. She must always be a bride.

• A Honorary Autobot

Thank you, sir.

Praises from Caesar.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Thank you, sir.

Praises from Caesar.
    You are quite welcome.

Now I hope I can look at Constance without thinking "heartless, murdering succubus"

Great quote!

• Cranky Dragon is Cranky

I fail at being a woman.

On the other hand, at least I've never murdered anyone.

On the third hand, it's probably troubling just how much I like Constance.
    Current hat total: 100 of 100 - completed!

Duckland
    : Stroll through downtown Duckburg, making sure to tour Scrooge's Money Bin, then cross the Audubon Bay Bridge to St. Canard. Visit Liquidator's Splash Pool, and don't forget a stop by Bushroot Gardens!

• is too darn hot.

Thank you, sir.

Praises from Caesar.
    Remember thou art mortal!
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• =)

Fascinating, Rusty! Very cool speculation. Though the stereotypical woman's perception of marriage may not be as common as you're saying, this is good, solid, enjoyable, and thoroughly pointless speculation.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I'm sure it would all really depend on what her backstory truly is. If she is addicted to that attention, then I can see how her dress would be important. If she is just a gold digger, then maybe she's a pennypincher and just didn't want to spend the money on a new dress. I still go with the forced-into-marriage theory, and my question still stands. Being female, I wouldn't want to wear a dress that had such bad memories attatched to it. Heck, that's why I don't wear some of the things in my closet.
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

Quote Originally Posted by Datameister View Post
    Fascinating, Rusty! Very cool speculation. Though the stereotypical woman's perception of marriage may not be as common as you're saying, this is good, solid, enjoyable, and thoroughly pointless speculation.
    Ha! Thanks, I realize I'm expounding upon a figure featured for less than 60 seconds in an amusement park's attraction, but it's harmless fun.

But I would contest that most of America's young women (outside of the ill-labeled "blue states"), still harbor overly-romanticized visions of their wedding day. Marriage is still an honored bond between man and woman to most of this country, like it or not. I'm not stereotyping as I am commenting on the majority consensus. I married a Southern girl, and man, if us Californians only knew...

While our nation slowly dissolves the union of marriage, we as a macro-culture, still revere the institution. That is why we're often in awe of those elderly couples who celebrate 40, 50, and 60-year anniversaries. It still, amazingly, sounds romantic.

As for Bellhop's "Constance-forced-into-marriage" theory, I would argue strongly that Connie, at no time (as far as evidenced) shows any weakness as a character, whereas an imposed marriage, usually instigated by teaming parents or by purchase (implying that Constance was at some point, a slave) would imply that she, at some point, was the subject of an imposing authority.

And a penny-pincher? Not a chance. By simply looking at the opulent amount of crap crammed into the attic, we know, by all certainty, that dear Constance had a taste for the good life. The mansion, its decor, and sheer mass should prove that the mistress of this stately house was no prude by any imaginable means.

No, I would go with the old Deadly Sin of greed. Constance was greedy. Whether she was poor and aspired to the mantle Southern royalty (visit Savannah, GA if you're unclear as to what that connotes) or wanted to roust a no-good, yellow-bellied Northern-scum carpetbagger out of his (perceived) fortune, we simply don't know. But her collection of pearl necklaces are more telling of her true persona than any sentimentality tied to a single dress.

What we know is that Constance's greed felled five men, each of escalating fiscal stature with her reaping the benefits. She, though dying an old woman, perceivably mourning the death of her final spouse (and imaginably her decision to "off" him), has returned from across the veil of the spirit realm to haunt her beloved mansion and its stowed treasures in the form of a youthful, attractive bride-to-be, taunting future suitors to take a "whack" at tying the knot.

• Having an Unbirthday

While my wife is one of those who was an exception to the "this is MY day to be a princess" brides, everyone who attended our reception says her homocidal look when holding the "bloody" cake knife* was their favorite photo moment.

Very Constance of her, I thought.

*we had a Jessica/Roger themed red velvet cake. mmmm...

• Dapper Dan-nabe

My wife didn't expect to make a big deal out of the wedding, but I think she enjoyed being a princess more than she thought she would. She's usually not the typical "girlie" type, but she sure liked having the big pretty dress and everyone fussing over her. I can see where Rusty is coming from.
    -SilentDante
    eliselzer.blogspot.com

• =)

A very tiny tidbit of info--if you'd like to see what the FastPass area looked like before it was a FastPass area, you can see it pretty well around 5:00 in this video.