Page 58 of 170 FirstFirst ... 83348555657585960616883108158 ... LastLast

• =)

Re: Son of "Long-Forgotten Haunted Mansion Effect," or The Thread 2

Semantics. Don't worry about it...
    Hey, I live for semantics!

Ezra's long, unruly hair. Am I the only one who misses that?
    Definitely not! His hair is in a really unfortunate state.

Data and Pineapple; do you expect TDA to develop an animatronic whose arms are actual? For the conversion, the effect is rather simple: If the manequin hands are clutching a white cloth (wrapped like a bouquet of flowers), a projection of a dozen roses or a bridal bouquet (rather than the single rose) would make an easy transition into the hatchet. The shapes are pretty similar.
    Perhaps it would work; I'm not entirely sure. If it does, I'd really like to see it implemented.

I wouldn't want the HHGs to talk, though. I don't have confidence in them finding voices that would fit. Nor do I have faith in them creating dialog faithful to the ambiance of the ride. When everything is done by committee as it is nowadays quality suffers.
    Agreed 100%. In a way, having them be silent increased their mysteriousness. The silence itself creates character, and there's no way Disney could encapsulate 40 years of silent, perceived character into one voice performance that would probably be done by actors who seemed "right", not by actors who had any real emotional connection to the HHGs.

• A Honorary Autobot

For the sake of brainstorming, what would you expect the HHGs to say? "Going our way?" I could imagine little Gus snickering or giggling, but I can't really foresee Erza addressing riders saying, "Hey pal, can you scoot over?"

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

It's fun to think about. I think that it's not terribly farfetched that somewhere down the line for the HHG's to start interacting with the guests, especially now that Connie is on the scene. She has opened up the door for living animatronics in Mansion.
    dreams. come. true.

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

There are just too many guests for the HHGs to interact with. Haunted Manion like pirates is known as a people eater. With so many bodies going through, you'd have to get an auctioneer to rattle off a personalized quip for every guest.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Well not really, depending on how it would be done. If the HHGs were active to guests in the mirror, each car would be covered
    dreams. come. true.

• =)

If the HHGs were active to guests in the mirror, each car would be covered
    Actually, that's a good point. Have the HHG animatronic on the other side of the glass mouthing words, and then the onboard speakers could play the words, giving the impression that the ghost really was sitting in the Doom Buggy! Interactive HHGs...well, maybe they've a glimmer of potential if allied to the Imagineers' vision and brains... (Name that unused Disney line!)

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

I've seriously thought about how to do this. The only difficulties I see would be tracking 80+ cars around the track so as to be able to trigger the sound effect and synch the movement for each HHG for each doombuggy that passes, which would require at least three CM's to work the operations for the HHGs. It's not impossible, I know, but it would require a lot of work that we probably won't see in HM for quite a while--unless we get the new sound system in the elevators, in which case such work could be done on the HHGs at the same time and then we'd just have one snazzy new Mansion on our hands.
    Sorry for the detail there, haha. Killing time til my ride gets here. I'm supposed to be showing some people around DL today--hey, it's more fun than school!
    dreams. come. true.

• A Honorary Autobot

In a matter of days, we've been able to spit-ball the potential for a truly interactive HHG format; and the answer is no.

What - if at all- will happen if the HHGs are indeed doomed for a revised afterlife would be for them to resemble the Cpt. Jack Sparrow at the end of POTC, idly jabbering to himself, cycling through a select quantity of prerecorded catch phrases while the boats climb steadily upward.

I predict the idea of "interactive" HHGs being no more than the trio moving more fluidly, motion to passing 'buggies, asking for a ride in exchange for services or something lamely humorous, more or less how Constance beckons for a new suitor from the passing crowd.

• now that i see you ♥

Blog Entries

Well the soundboarding would just be how I'd do it; more likely, they'd just put the HHGs on a random shuffle loop and match it up that way.
    dreams. come. true.

• is too darn hot.

I rode Haunted Mansion Monday night at the Cast party. One of the members of our group was in a wheelchair and rode down the stretching room. Not only did I see the hallway between unload and load and heckle the CMs in the control room, but we got to ride up the stretching room, too, which is mildly creepy and somewhat claustrophobic.
    The Right Honorable Count Boogie Bonz of Random, at your service.

On Track for Weight Loss!

• A Honorary Autobot

It's funny how once you've fallen in love with the Mansion, trips like that are the new best thing. It's funny, only because now that the magic of the Mansion has lured us in, we all now want to see how it's done.

• Miss Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by BassBone View Post
    I rode Haunted Mansion Monday night at the Cast party. One of the members of our group was in a wheelchair and rode down the stretching room. Not only did I see the hallway between unload and load and heckle the CMs in the control room, but we got to ride up the stretching room, too, which is mildly creepy and somewhat claustrophobic.
    OOOOO. Lucky ducky.
    "If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see? " - Alice

"If his brain's ran down, how can he talk?" - Jack Pumpkinhead
    "It happens to people all the time, Jack." - Dorothy

"It seems the words on my mug are right: 'It is hard to soar with Eagles when you work with Turkeys.'" - Sam the Eagle

• A Honorary Autobot

DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO REJUVENATE THE THREAD #2:
    This forum has been Ground Zero time and again for the never-ending debate whether The Haunted Mansion has an actual canonized storyline.

It's understood that originally, Imagineers penned a script where the several iterations of the mansion told tales of a doomed bride, a salty sea captain, and/or the fate of the building's many residents.

Although Walt disapproved the presence of a linear story throughout the attraction, after his death in 1966, Imagineers were left to finish the ride without his direction.

The final result ended with several nods and winks toward the most basic of their original storylines leaving many of the more zealous HM fans to believe that indeed, the mansion holds a tale to be told although buried over the years...

Here's the question:
    Does the presence (actual or not) of a linear plot line weaving throughout The Haunted Mansion enhance the attraction's experience or not? If so, why?

• =)

Does the presence (actual or not) of a linear plot line weaving throughout The Haunted Mansion enhance the attraction's experience or not? If so, why?
    The actual presence of a linear plot line very well might worsen the experience. There's something to be said for "experience rides", though the modern-day Disney company isn't aware of that. The use of a general plot arc--exposition/introduction, rising action, climax, resolution--is important, and the mansion has always accomplished this wonderfully. And the hints of possible storylines make it feel as if there truly is something more going on, which creates intrigue and leads to threads like these. But if we were hit over the head with, say, a completely cohesive and explicit story in every scene about how Connie's actions cursed the mansion or something...eugh, it'd be too much.

Creating an attraction composed of isolated vignettes, united thematically and arranged in a way that follows a basic story arc, is a bit of a lost art, IMO. It works really well when handled correctly. Guests are left to interpret the "real" story for themselves without even realizing it. It feels a little more honest, a little more genuine--in real life, not every step of a journey will be entirely devoted to telling one story. There's a time and place for in-depth storytelling; Indy is an incredible example of this done correctly. There's a very deep storyline, but you don't need to know it to enjoy the ride, and the ride itself really is a series of perilous vignettes.

Just some thoughts...

•   
    • Skeevy Ray Vaughan

Quote Originally Posted by Rustymuscle;
    Here's the question:
    It absolutely enhances the experience. Most people go on the ride just to enjoy it. Heck some still call it the haunted house. But for those of us that have been on the ride over 100 times, we need some substance, some explanation. The fact that there is no clear cut story line (ala phantom manor) makes it all the more intriguing.

It allows fans like us to discuss the merits of the new bride and was she married to the guys in the stretching room. And it makes us much more observant to try and pick up clues to the storyline.

Magic I tell you, sheer magic.

Chad